Nikon D850 Hits it Out of the Park - Saving Nikon

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
6:06 PM
So, you think the thread title is a bit over the top?
hmmmm......probably not according to my Nikon spymaster.

The Nikon D850 is not just a new Nikon,
its a new class of DSLR,
a DSLR - EVF hybrid!

You will be able to switch quickly from SLR to EVF for all advantages of both!

Silent shutter, high speed shutter, focus peaking - not a problem with EVF!

Better daylight viewing and focusing - not a problem with DSLR.

Expect 4K video and 42MP sensor.

With the D850 Nikon leapfrogs over all the Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus competition,
once again putting Nikon at the top.

-------------------------
EDIT

it ain't over until the D850 is introduced
while Nikon Rumors says there is no hybrid finder
others are not so sure

DPReview

DIYPhotography

SonyAlphaRumors

Flickr

PhotographyLife

UberGizmo

Time will tell

Cool. I like that they got rid of the pop up flash. I find those things very low rent, it is pretty lousy on my D750, but when I use a real flash the pics are excellent.
They most prob had to get rid of it to get space to make the hybrid vf.

I still am hoping for a pure EVF FF f mount Nikon. So I can adapt all the lenses I already have, as well as use my Nikon glass.

Funny thing is I always get briefly excited by a new digi cam announcement, then realize I much prefer shooting film.

Cool. I like that they got rid of the pop up flash. I find those things very low rent

The pop-up flash is really great for easy and quick flash slave control. It's also good for a very small amount of fill-flash in some situations if you need it.

Running around on weddings and commercial events I have made use of these features on many occasions. Of course it's not "the best" solution, but "the best" option is not always possible to have on hand or perhaps your flash/radio trigger batteries just ran out at the end of a long session or event.

So that's really disappointing to me if true.

I want to pick up another D800 or two for my business so new D8xx is good though for me being able to pick them up cheaper :).

Hmmm interesting, thinking to upgrade my D600 ...(GAS)

When is that mirrorless full frame digital camera disguised as a Nikon SP gonna show up?

Nikon has to think harder about exit planning to save the company. They have to learn from Fuji (or Olympus), the company that almost shutdown because couldn't compete in DSLR and compact camera world. They survived by release "new genre" camera, mirrorless with RF looks.

Nikon has advance photography technologies can apply to new camera ( beside DSLR line).
I believe if they create new Fullframe Mirroless (RF or SP looks) camera, Nikon can compete with Fuji X or Sony A7

~ron~

Last edited:
Won't gonna have an EVF (not very exciting even if it does - I mean why bother?). Just another big DSLR, a good one though.

I also doubt if a $3,000+ camera alone could save the boat. If it could, the D810 would have done that already.

They need cameras with a STORY to generate the hype, then follow up with small, excellent, and budget friendly cameras of that class to swarm the market. For now, they have none.

EVFs are extremely easy to focus manually with their ability of magnification and peak focusing. In poor light they are a no brainer over an optical finder.

This thing is going to be hot. Tempted to try and grab one, and a couple of Zeiss ZFs to assess when it's out.

A big risk for companies when a game changing technology comes onto the scene is the temptation to "stick to their knitting" and hold onto producing technology that may be a dead end in the new world because it has always worked before. I wonder if this will be so for Nikon with its long and illustrious line of SLR/DSLRs. The problem is the more successful they have been in the past, the more reluctant they are to change (and the more difficult given their investment in that technology in terms of skills, knowledge, production line set up costs, marketing, R and D, etc etc) . While I still love my Nikon DSLR, I find myself picking up an M4/3 camera more and more because lugging one of those DSLR dinosaurs and its huge lenses around is just such a chore. If too many people do this...............

Let us hope that the hybrid approach is a "toe in the water" which will see more evolution and ongoing success.

They need cameras with a STORY to generate the hype, then follow up with small, excellent, and budget friendly cameras of that class to swarm the market. For now, they have none.

I think the days of this class of camera are over. Nikon will now stick to up-market pro and semi-pro products rather than trying to compete with ever more capable smartphones.

Nikon will now stick to up-market pro and semi-pro products rather than trying to compete with ever more capable smartphones.

You are mostly on the money there. I still wish they make a mirrorless, fixed focal length camera to compete with the Fuji X70 + X100 lines. Like a digital version of their 28/35Ti of yore.

Back