Nikon D850 Hits it Out of the Park - Saving Nikon

The advantages are: 1. video 2. video 3. improved focusing of fast lenses in low light 4. video.

Diminishing few for whom these attributes merit the upgrade from the D810.

As a one-time owner of 14 AIS lenses, one of my sore points is that Nikon took some pride in maintaining backward compatibility for MF lenses (Zeiss thus included) and then left no way to quickly, effectively and reliably focus them without Live View.

So, you think the thread title is a bit over the top?
hmmmm......probably not according to my Nikon spymaster.

The Nikon D850 is not just a new Nikon,
its a new class of DSLR,
a DSLR - EVF hybrid!

You will be able to switch quickly from SLR to EVF for all advantages of both!

Silent shutter, high speed shutter, focus peaking - not a problem with EVF!

Better daylight viewing and focusing - not a problem with DSLR.

Expect 4K video and 42MP sensor.

With the D850 Nikon leapfrogs over all the Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus competition,
once again putting Nikon at the top.
Since the hybrid optical/EVF viewfinder rumor has proven false, I guess the conclusion is that Nikon will not hit it out of the park or save the company with the D850. I guess the question is will the D850 even offer a sufficient number of improvements over the D810 that anyone will feel the need to upgrade.

Pop Up flash has been off Pro models for years.

I wish Nikon well, because as a Canon user, Canon really needs someone to force them to innovate in recent times.

As an SLR user for the majoity of my work, often in low to very low light, I haven't come across a situation where the viewfinder doesn't cut it, so I'm not sure what the benefit is (but then again, I don't have the aversion to AF that some seem to).

I salute their steps into video, especially since Canon still chooses to lock out functions to push people to their Cinema line of cameras, whether the 4k capability is enough to overcome Canon's grip on SLR filmmaking remains to be seen, either way it'll hopefully push Canon to up their game.

Ricoh GR still out there and has a loyal, albeit small, following.
Not obsolete as its simplicity is its greatest virtue.

Agreed, not remotely obsolete.

Their problem was they went up against a company who's had this exact camera figured out, and completely nailed for 20 years now.

Although I find Sony SLTs and the Pentax K-01 to be rather ridiculous, I'd have to agree with you - a smallish full frame camera would be nice, even it means it has to be achieved with an EVF.

Would be extra nice if they release some pancake lenses (like the excellent Canon 40/2.8) to go with it.

Just curious, what's ridiculous about them?

I was referencing this (which I agree with being priced at 3 grand). At 1600 though the camera is a deal. The D850 is more of the same old song and dance in the consumer line. How many teething problems will it have? How many Nikon users will jump ship when Nikon refuses to acknowledge those problems? Umm...their recent track record is not the greatest. Finally, imo, I guess they haven't learned much. Dont get me wrong I like Nikon stuff in general but lately I don't know.

Shame of it is that the Dƒ should have been the perfect platform to do so and they even went so far as making pre-AI lenses compatible.
Instead, it was a fake-out with a focus screen out of the corporate bin and a nothing more than a styling exercise.

...and the D850 is a $3500 consumer camera.

consumer camera ? really ? I would say it's professional camera and will most likely be on the list of cameras that is required for joining, and maintaining NPS status. The more consumer oriented D750 may not be professional but I guarantee you will see many photojournalists using this camera.

As a one-time owner of 14 AIS lenses, one of my sore points is that Nikon took some pride in maintaining backward compatibility for MF lenses (Zeiss thus included) and then left no way to quickly, effectively and reliably focus them without Live View.

Amen!

Remember when all those rumour sites suggested the DF would be a really cool manual camera with a real focusing screen and a digital sensor? And then it ended up being a fatter D600 with D4 sensor and plastic dials?

I wouldn't pay much attention to them until Nikon gives us the actual thing.

If the d850 is just a regular optical finder DSLR it's going to be a huge letdown. Nikon needs the kind of innovation that the evf/ovf would bring.

If you look at the leaked pics though, it definitely looks like a hybrid finder - the hump is bigger and longer, there's an unknown switch/button above the diopter, and there are holes in the rear eyepiece that look like eye sensors...

I still think it'll have a hybrid finder personally.

If it doesn't have the EVF and is just another DSLR update we'll be disappointed naturally but I'm seriously beginning to wonder what is the problem with Nikon and Canon? Their reluctance to innovate is astounding ... they just keep hammering out the same old same old while companies like Fujifilm, Ricoh/Pentax, Olympus, Sony etc explore different parts of the market where the camera phone hasn't quite yet managed to exterminate real photography.

The thing is that all the tens of thousands that have the 600, 700 and 800 series will buy into the 850.
Nikon is Nikon, and it won't change.
Thousands of wedding togs and enthusiasts will buy it and Nikon is happy again.
......and on and on it goes.

Back