Nikon D850 Hits it Out of the Park - Saving Nikon

How EVFs Work

How EVFs Work

1. convert light to electrical charge; convert electrical charge to DV voltages for all photo-diode sites used for EVF display
  2. decide if and how much to amplify those DC signals
  3. digitize all these signals and store the data
  4. demoasic the data; render it using in-camera menu settings
  5. send the data to the EVF

This takes time. This creates lag. Some cameras' delays are much shorter than others.

Often the delay between what happens in the scene and what is displayed on the EVF is inconsequential. The ability to efficiently record bursts of photographs sometimes eliminates the delay's disadvantage.

No camera's EVF is as fast as an OVF.

Well it looks like the EVF was an incorrect rumor. What I've seen posted today is that the D850 will be a standard DSLR with OVF, no Hybrid VF or EVF.

Best,
-Tim

What a shame. That was the only compelling feature, everything else was evolutionary.

Nikon is going to have to innovate to survive. For years I've recommended that people not buy their point and shoot cameras, because most other makers seem to invest in those models, adding features and performance, and Nikon has always seemed very worried about cannibalizing their higher-end models. This sort of behavior is not at all dissimilar to Kodak in they heyday ignoring digital. Sony has recently come out with an amazing mirrorless camera. Nikon has to be willing to take some risks, and from the looks of things, the D850 is just an incremental improvement in the mold of its predecessors, however impressive its specifications.

Well it looks like the EVF was an incorrect rumor. What I've seen posted today is that the D850 will be a standard DSLR with OVF, no Hybrid VF or EVF.

Best,
-Tim

It sounded rather black magic. I would have expected the patent watchers to have noticed something like that being patented and shouted from the roof tops.

B2 (;->

I sold my nikon DSLR and bought a sony alpha mirrorless, for me a DSLR is too big and useless for what i need it for. A film rangefinder for b&w and my little sony for color and and video is all i need.

No EVF .... so t's just another DSLR then!

As pointed out this is just evolution ... "hitting it out of the park" will require innovation!

Hello Nikon?

I'm not sure if I am happy or sad that it has no EVF. Seeing every EVF I have used gives me a headache.

Nikon used to do wacky stuff like limited edition S3 and SPs. Decades after they had gone out of production.
A re-released F2 or F3 would be all sorts of awesome.

I'm not sure if I am happy or sad that it has no EVF. Seeing every EVF I have used gives me a headache.

Nikon used to do wacky stuff like limited edition S3 and SPs. Decades after they had gone out of production.
A re-released F2 or F3 would be all sorts of awesome.

A rereleased F I could go for. As long as its all mechanical without a meter.

I think Nikon did a nice job with the EVF on the Nikon 1 V2. Have used that for hours at a time and had not issues with the EVF. But I'm not seeing the advantage of an EVF on a DSLR. Nikon should just make a full frame mirrorless (with a Nikon F mount to use all the old lenses) if they want to go the EVF route.

Best,
-Tim

I think Nikon did a nice job with the EVF on the Nikon 1 V2. Have used that for hours at a time and had not issues with the EVF. But I'm not seeing the advantage of an EVF on a DSLR. Nikon should just make a full frame mirrorless (with a Nikon F mount to use all the old lenses) if they want to go the EVF route.

Best,
-Tim

That's probably a better idea I agree. Especially with their pro camera being seriously challenged with the likes of the A9R.

Best,
-Tim

Although I find Sony SLTs and the Pentax K-01 to be rather ridiculous, I'd have to agree with you - a smallish full frame camera would be nice, even it means it has to be achieved with an EVF.

Would be extra nice if they release some pancake lenses (like the excellent Canon 40/2.8) to go with it.

I bet a redux F, F2, F3 would cost a pile of money.

A digital back for said cameras would sell thousands maybe tens of thousands of copies I bet. That would be innovation and digital fusion!

A rereleased F I could go for. As long as its all mechanical without a meter.

I'd prefer an MD style Nikon.
A digital F with no screen, no menus, pared back simple digital awesomeness. Manual focus only as well, good focus screen and a base set of new MF primes like the Voigtlanders; 2/24mm, 1.4/50mm, 2/85mm. Would be super awesomeness and would be something even I'd jump on.

I bet a redux F, F2, F3 would cost a pile of money.

A digital back for said cameras would sell thousands maybe tens of thousands of copies I bet. That would be innovation and digital fusion!

In a perfect world...but they make their ¥ selling lenses. And even here, Sigma has outfoxed them. Nikon is a lumbering giant proverbially Waiting for Godot...

I'd prefer an MD style Nikon.
A digital F with no screen, no menus, pared back simple digital awesomeness. Manual focus only as well, good focus screen and a base set of new MF primes like the Voigtlanders; 2/24mm, 1.4/50mm, 2/85mm. Would be super awesomeness and would be something even I'd jump on.

Shame of it is that the Dƒ should have been the perfect platform to do so and they even went so far as making pre-AI lenses compatible.
Instead, it was a fake-out with a focus screen out of the corporate bin and a nothing more than a styling exercise.

...and the D850 is a $3500 consumer camera. Can anyone say 'grifters'? I understand now why they are leaking so far in advance...they are gauging whether or not they will be able to get away with the BS yet again.

I paid 1600 for my Df and kit lens with 8000 on the clock...at that price point it is/was a homerun.

...and the D850 is a $3500 consumer camera. Can anyone say 'grifters'? I understand now why they are leaking so far in advance...they are gauging whether or not they will be able to get away with the BS yet again.

I paid 1600 for my Df and kit lens with 8000 on the clock...at that price point it is/was a homerun.

Less grifters than a company groping for a its future purpose.
Instead of seeing the curtain falling on 1+ kg pentaprism cameras, they double-down on the dinosaur.

Nikon rumors https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/28/nikon-d850-updates-no-evf-or-hybrid-viewfinder-even-faster-than-8-fps.aspx/#more-114300 now reports that the 850's NOT going to have a hybrid EVF. Same old VF but faster-than-8fps for all the sports I'll never shoot.

Brilliant and inspired way to celebrate their 100th anniversary.

I find Nikon Rumors to be generally more reliable than other sites. They (or he, Peter) never reported the "hybrid viewfinder" hype in the first place.

I see no need to get upset on something completely bogus. There are places on the internet where dozens of these "specs" were invented daily...use common sense.

Again, I still believe even if they managed to make it hybrid, putting the EVF into the already bulky DSLR with full mirror box would bring little gain. Just think it over...

It also makes sense for Nikon putting the D5/D500 AF and all the cutting edge witchcraft into a camera which is supposed to be "slow". Less hassle on R&D. Or would people rather stay with the now 10-year-old MultiCAM-3500 module?

BTW the Canon 5D Mark IV cost $3,499 when new, the 5Ds $3,699, and the Nikon Df $2,749. I mean, 4 years into the Df's life cycle now I could go to Japan and grab a pristine one for around $1,350, but what's the point comparing used to new price? It's like when Lomography released the Jupiter 3+ people would complain hey my half a century old shimmed J-3 is much cheaper, or when Fujifilm had the GF670 out and some whined that the Mamiya 7s they got used cost less - forgetting those retailed for $3,500+ new not very long ago.

I would have expected the patent watchers to have noticed something like that being patented and shouted from the roof tops.

Nikon has a patent on it. Theoria Apophasis who speculated at first about the EVF, pointed to a Nikon patent from 2013 to explain it. Also funny that folks lend more credibility to a rumour over reasoned speculation even if both have an equal chance of being wrong.

Back