Oly OMD EM1x

B-9

Devin Bro
Local time
8:09 PM
Anyone looking at the new EM1X?

I think it’s pretty cool they made a “pro” m4/3 body

The new buttons look like a real home run especially the bumpy ISO button.

I’m not in M4/3 anymore but it looks like a really cool offering for those that do!

Let’s talk about it!

I thought the previous model was touted as a pro body? It was priced as such and was shown covered with water etc.
Is there a difference apart from revised ergos and more sealing? It's a very nice looking camera, as all OMDs are.

New Buttons and the Vertical Grip is permanent.

USB-C charging in body. Says 2 hours for two batteries.

Or on site charging with a USB-C Power bank.

Yeah apparently better sealing as well.

Looks like the antithesis of m43. I do like their smaller cameras and the more compact lenses. At this size and price point, it needs to be on par with Sony's A9 regarding CAF and focus tracking. For street it is too large, for landscape there are better offers.

Nikon D500 has a larger sensor and is also weather sealed for $1800 vs $3000 for the Olympus.

The Olympus stabilization system is outstanding. For run and gun video in particular

I would also add that I, and a few other working photogs I know, are really into the EVF.

Not creating sensor size rules but for some, full frame is not even near the top of the priority list.

Looks like the antithesis of m43. I do like their smaller cameras and the more compact lenses. At this size and price point, it needs to be on par with Sony's A9 regarding CAF and focus tracking. For street it is too large, for landscape there are better offers.

The Olympus EM-1 series has been making converts in the PJ world.

The Olympus stabilization system is outstanding. For run and gun video in particular

I would also add that I, and a few other working photogs I know, are really into the EVF.

Not creating sensor size rules but for some, full frame is not even near the top of the priority list.

Not arguing your points. But the price!!! $3000. D500 is almost half of
that. I have an OMD em10mk 2 and really like it for the size and what I paid for it. So I appreciate m43. But $3000? Thats pretty much the price of the Nikon Z7 full frame 47mp mirrorless. Which has incredible weather sealing (see the lensrentals strip down) and is smaller!

But Huss, those who will buy this Olympus are going to buy it for what it offers over a regular mirrorless camera. Surely you can see a few unique specs in the camera? They might not matter to you or me, but obviously Olympus made this with someone in mind.

But Huss, those who will buy this Olympus are going to buy it for what it offers over a regular mirrorless camera. Surely you can see a few unique specs in the camera? They might not matter to you or me, but obviously Olympus made this with someone in mind.

I kinda don't.. The EVF has been made bigger by optical magnification, w/o any actual change to the resolution. So it is not class leading. The sensor has not been improved, so it does not compare to an APS-C let alone full frame.
And the FF comparison now is real seeing that it costs as much as them, and is the same size or bigger than them.

Maybe its really good for movies? I think the reality is that Olympus' unit sales are so small now the only way they have a hope of making money is by selling very expensive cameras.

I really really like my OMD EM10mkii, because it is tiny (the point of M43), cheap, has cracker lenses, is fun to use, and weighs nothing.

I kinda don't.. The EVF has been made bigger by optical magnification, w/o any actual change to the resolution. So it is not class leading. The sensor has not been improved, so it does not compare to an APS-C let alone full frame.
And the FF comparison now is real seeing that it costs as much as them, and is the same size or bigger than them.

Maybe its really good for movies? I think the reality is that Olympus' unit sales are so small now the only way they have a hope of making money is by selling very expensive cameras.

I really really like my OMD EM10mkii, because it is tiny (the point of M43), cheap, has cracker lenses, is fun to use, and weighs nothing.

I agree with you, Huss. I can't imagine spending that kind of money for Micro 4/3, and I say that as a lifelong Olympus user who uses M4/3 for almost all of his current work.

I have the Pen-F. Aside from needing weather-sealing, the Pen-F is perfect for M4/3. It is tiny, light, wasn't terribly expensive, has good image quality (though fullframe IS better), and has great lenses. I wouldn't mind having the OMD-EM1 mkII, as it has weather sealing and isnt terribly big. Can't afford it, though, and this new one is simply beyond hope for me financially. If I had the money, I'd buy the new Nikon 40mp fullframe mirrorless.

In Australia the new Oly is $4499.
The new Canon mirrorless FF is $2925
The Nikon Z6 is $3400.

Sorry Olympus, but no thanks.

Not arguing your points. But the price!!! $3000. D500 is almost half of
that. I have an OMD em10mk 2 and really like it for the size and what I paid for it. So I appreciate m43. But $3000? Thats pretty much the price of the Nikon Z7 full frame 47mp mirrorless. Which has incredible weather sealing (see the lensrentals strip down) and is smaller!

Absolutely agree. I jumped off the ridiculously expensive camera train long ago. It is a CRAZY price and i cannot wrap my brain around spending that sort of dough on any camera unless one is working on it daily.

Truth be told, I would probably buy the em10 mkii, a pocketful of batteries and call it a day.

Olympus is probably under the pressure of delivering bigger sensor system to complement their lineup. Its hard to imagine them staying in m43 only. Speaking of which, where's Pentax? :D

In Australia the new Oly is $4499.
The new Canon mirrorless FF is $2925
The Nikon Z6 is $3400.

Sorry Olympus, but no thanks.

I actually feel a little sorry for Olympus at this point. This thing doesn't even have a top LCD - just a sad looking little space where one should have been. I understand the small/high quality long zooms are a big pull for the system as far as size goes, but for sports and wildlife stuff you need good quality high ISO performance, and looking at the samples dpreview put out it's several magnitudes worse than the current crop of FF mirrorless in that regard.

Hell, you can get a gfx50R medium format digital for only a few K more...

The Olympus EM-1 series has been making converts in the PJ world.

Fair enough. And I also know at least one Photographer in person using Olympus m43 cameras for weddings. If one uses the EM1 with grip anyway, which I am sure PJs and wedding photographers would probably do, the size isn't really that different at all.

Seems it could has its use if it can do really fast AF, specifically for Sports. I am just not sure it up there with the A9. That would be a really useful difference to the last gen m43 cameras from Olympus.

I am not doing either Sports or PJ, so my old EM1.1 is still fine.

Back