Oly OMD EM1x

What? It is telepathic?

No, but modern cellphones do this as well. As the camera is on, the camera is taking photos before you even hit the shutter. It then uses multiple images (before, during, and after the shutter press) to make one image or allowing you to pick one. Or at least that is how I understand it.

It is the antithesis of what many of us want here at RFF, but someone out there has been waiting for this camera for specific projects.

Well if what you care is about the final image, not really. And the $1200 price difference. Ouch.

It is surely subjective,

Although I agree with you based on still shooting only.

M4/3 offerings have long been superior in one way.. Video!

A fair comparison in that light would be,

Panasonic GH5s at 2300$ vs Olympus EM1x at 3000$

Adding Vlog to the GH5s would add another 100$

Either way, still a cool offering from Olympus.

Hard to see them getting too many takers here in Oz at that price. Sensor size aside that camera seems highly competent in certain situations.

The OMD-EM1 mkII has the same feature. It isn't telepathic; you have to have your finger on the shutter button , either from having autofocused and keeping your finger on it to lock focus, or from using continuous AF. I think in that mode, it constantly takes pictures while you have the button partly pressed and saves some of them from before you push the button the rest of the way.

That's a great way to capture the decisive moments.

Where M43 is great is for depth of field. It seems that most peeps focus... on subject isolation, and that is where larger sensors are great. But there definitely are cases where one wants deeper DOF than what FF can give you at the same aperture. That to me is the strength of m43, where that is not possible if the sensor was bigger.
The EM1x does not play onto the strength of m43, but chooses to fight an already lost war by competing in size, weight and price with FF.

Where M43 is great is for depth of field. It seems that most peeps focus... on subject isolation, and that is where larger sensors are great. But there definitely are cases where one wants deeper DOF than what FF can give you at the same aperture. That to me is the strength of m43, where that is not possible if the sensor was bigger.
The EM1x does not play onto the strength of m43, but chooses to fight an already lost war by competing in size, weight and price with FF.

This is not the full story. Until you hit f/16 or f/22 you can always stop down to the equivalent depth of field you would get on m43. The resulting images would be the same. But, you can’t open up on m43 past the max aperture.

I do not think there is a war to be fought. I think you assume Olympus is trying to outsell Nikon and Canon, but I`m sure they realize this is a niche product for them. I understand the hate... because $3000 is a lot, but this camera will be used by people in extreme situations and truly offers some things other cameras do not.

7.5 stops of IS and 60 FPS continuous shooting has to work for someone out there... not to mention the extreme weather proofing and saving some weight in lenses.

I look forward to seeing results of the camera in action

I look forward to seeing results of the camera in action

Anyone looking at the new EM1X?

I think it’s pretty cool they made a “pro” m4/3 body

The new buttons look like a real home run especially the bumpy ISO button.

I’m not in M4/3 anymore but it looks like a really cool offering for those that do!

Let’s talk about it!

Dear B-9,

It's not hard to imagine that this camera would be a hard sell on RFF. While I am sure there are a few sports and nature shooters here, they are truly few and far between.

I am also very interested in the 150-400 1.4TC Zuiko that was mentioned when the camera was offered for pre-order. If that lens comes out, and it works as advertised I am pretty sure it will come in a couple of G's less than the $ 13,000.00 offerings from Canon and Nikon making the $ 3000.00 camera essentially FREE!

Not that I'll ever buy any of them new, but this new offering from Olympus gives me hope for 6 or 7 years down the road when it will become affordable to me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

I do not think there is a war to be fought. I think you assume Olympus is trying to outsell Nikon and Canon, but I`m sure they realize this is a niche product for them. I understand the hate... because $3000 is a lot, but this camera will be used by people in extreme situations and truly offers some things other cameras do not.

7.5 stops of IS and 60 FPS continuous shooting has to work for someone out there... not to mention the extreme weather proofing and saving some weight in lenses.

Also do notice that Olympus is celebrating its centenary this year so they'd certainly like to make not only just another iteration of the EP-L, but some actual statement. As niche as it is, this one is impressive indeed.

Dear B-9,

It's not hard to imagine that this camera would be a hard sell on RFF. While I am sure there are a few sports and nature shooters here, they are truly few and far between.

I am also very interested in the 150-400 1.4TC Zuiko that was mentioned when the camera was offered for pre-order. If that lens comes out, and it works as advertised I am pretty sure it will come in a couple of G's less than the $ 13,000.00 offerings from Canon and Nikon making the $ 3000.00 camera essentially FREE!

Not that I'll ever buy any of them new, but this new offering from Olympus gives me hope for 6 or 7 years down the road when it will become affordable to me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Another interesting point. There is a mythology surrounding Leica cameras and similar rangefinders. The Bressons and Capas of yesteryear. Out in the thick of things, in far flung places. Those characters exist today and through absolute dumb luck, I know some of them. When I think of the best of the best, the cream of the crop. A few names come to mind. 3 of them I know for a fact are shooting Olympus 4/3 rigs and have been for a few years.

Just an observation I guess. When I look at this offering from Olympus I see other things... Photojournalist things. Like transfer speeds, stabilization for video, codecs, file sizes (big isn't always best when you are sending data across continents and oceans) and so forth. I suspect Olympus looked carefuly at these things and I wouldn't rule the camera out by comparing it to a D5/750/1dx etc. etc.

The idea that Olympus is just grasping at straws here doesn't add up for me. I reckon this was a carefully planned and well researched offering.

Back