Oly OMD EM1x

Just got a Nikon D7500 to compensate for my new bad left eye. The Image quality is insanely good up to way higher ISO that I would ever use. Got a Nikon Refurb at about $950!!

Fair enough. And I also know at least one Photographer in person using Olympus m43 cameras for weddings. If one uses the EM1 with grip anyway, which I am sure PJs and wedding photographers would probably do, the size isn't really that different at all.

Seems it could has its use if it can do really fast AF, specifically for Sports. I am just not sure it up there with the A9. That would be a really useful difference to the last gen m43 cameras from Olympus.

I am not doing either Sports or PJ, so my old EM1.1 is still fine.

Well i don't do much in the way of sports but my 2 or 3 generations old cameras seem to do just fine for PJ work. I really like the Sony cameras on paper. Sadly I have had nothing but trouble with any of the Sony's I have tried. Which is too bad as the RX100 series would suit me fine. Pack my whole kit in my pants.pocket? Yes please!

I would think much of the advantage of a 4:3 sensor would be negated by making the camera larger. Don't suppose it matters much though. What good is a small light body when these new super duper lenses all have to be f1.4 (at least) monsters, the size of a pop can and element/group counts that are higher than zoom lenses used to be a few years ago.

I haven't really looked closely at this camera but the size and price were enough for me to be a bit bewildered by it. It just seems so uncharacteristic of Olympus camera's original purpose.

By digital standards, I have a fairly long history with Olympus. I used their DSLR 4/3 system as a smaller travel alternative to Canons and I adopted the micro 4/3 system early on with the E-P1 and the Panasonic G1. I still have a first incarnation OMD E-M1, mainly to use lenses adapted from the old 4/3 system and the very nice 15mm and 25mm Panasonic-Leica primes. Micro 4/3 had a lot going for it at inception--smaller bodies, smaller lenses and excellent image quality despite the smaller sensor. But even my E-M1 is about the same size as my Fuji X-T1 and this new camera is humongous by M4/3 standards. And three grand? That's just plain out there.

But Olympus thinks there's a market for it so best of luck with that.

What sort of price tag would make this a great camera to own?

That's an interesting question. It would be a tough sell for me at over $3,000 even if I was invested in Oly lenses. Primarily because redundancy is high on my priority list. $6,000 plus for 2 bodies doesn't make sense for me as I have been working on much, much cheaper cameras for over a decade. I have never had work turned down on account of sensor size, DOF or any other issue related to the full frame narrative. The 'weather sealed' angle is also not a big selling point as most of the cameras i have used have performed very well in arguably very tough environments. 100% humidity for weeks on end, desert, combat and so forth. The Sony's being the exception to the rule.

I am fine with compacts of the sub $1,000 range and most likely will continue to be.

This is what works for ME mind you. Others may have different requirements and preferences. The Oly would have to be sub $2,000 for me to even consider it.

Doing a bit of reading I noticed the Oly, with 24-70'ish fast zoom, is significantly lighter than a D5 (or similar) and 24-70'ish. If every corner of your bag is spoken for, and you are carrying your gear everywhere you go for weeks on end. That difference will influence the decision eventually.

I think it’s unfair to compare to a Nikon FX camera although the Z arguement seems valid.

3k$ is a steep price I agree.

But I’m sure those Endorsed Olympus Photographers will love to have it in their kit as well as considering the price a moot point for a money making tool.

Still, It is a unique offering! The First Mirrorless body with built in vertical grip.

What sort of price tag would make this a great camera to own?

It's the answer to the question no one was asking.

I don’t think there is a price that would make it a great camera to own. If we reframe the question into a “money is no object” type question, I doubt many would choose this over one of their smaller offerings or a D500 for example?
If money is an object, you can get an EM10 AND a D500 for the same cost.
Anyway, what do I know, they seem to know what they’re doing. Maybe.

Presumably Olympus did market research before they gave the go-ahead to manufacture. I am sure they will sell a few of these cameras. Some will want to have the new EM1X just because.

I don’t think there is a price that would make it a great camera to own. If we reframe the question into a “money is no object” type question, I doubt many would choose this over one of their smaller offerings or a D500 for example?
If money is an object, you can get an EM10 AND a D500 for the same cost.
Anyway, what do I know, they seem to know what they’re doing. Maybe.

One would think they know what they are doing.

But... Your sugestion of D500 AND EM10 is pretty hard to ignore.

I think some of these features are being overlooked...

Hand-held high-res shot mode
Up to 60 fps Raw + JPEG capture (up to 18 fps with autofocus)
Pro Capture mode records frames before you hit the shutter
Up 7.5EV of image stabilization with supported lenses
Dual BLH-1 batteries giving 870 shots per charge (CIPA)
UHD 4K/30p video and DCI 24p at up to 237Mbps
Extensive, IPX1-rated weather sealing

Sure, I`m not into either.... but surely, someone out there is paying the $3000 because it offers something the other $3000 cameras do not.

What? It is telepathic?

The OMD-EM1 mkII has the same feature. It isn't telepathic; you have to have your finger on the shutter button, either from having autofocused and keeping your finger on it to lock focus, or from using continuous AF. I think in that mode, it constantly takes pictures while you have the button partly pressed and saves some of them from before you push the button the rest of the way.

Back