Olympus Pen F shot audio slideshows...

bojanfurst

Well-known
Local time
8:40 AM
About a year ago I got my Pen F and it hasn't left my hands. I love that camera to bits. So much so that I just ordered a second one.

I thought I'd share a project I've been working on using Pen F and a 25mm and a 75mm mostly. I've been posting these in General Thread and I apologize if you've seen some of these. It's a series of audio slideshows. Here is a link to the 12 profiles published so far: https://vimeo.com/album/4981968

and here is one of the stills featuring Rodney de Vries, a local violin maker:
45774875945_f4f247333d_b.jpg

And should you simply love them and be so inclined to support the creation of additional shows, here is a link to a small kickstarter campaign my producer and I started that explains a fair bit about the project: http://kck.st/2EUgRkG

I hope it's not against the rules to post a link to a campaign. Any and all comments are welcome...

Bojan

Speaking of the Pen F, I have recently rediscovered the original Pen F series.

I do not propose going back to film but the lenses look interesting - they are very small, many have an excellent reputation and they have a short register distance so they do not need a large adapter as do many other legacy lenses. Besides which of course their build quality is second to none.

I have recently bought a 100mm f3.5 for use on my M4/3 cameras and look forward to doing so as this lens in particular has an enviable reputation for its optical characteristics.

Some info on Pen F lens tests can be found here - scroll down:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/olympus-pen-ft-practicing-good-penmanship.465163/

I have kept my eye out for a 2nd hand digital Pen F but they seem to be much loved and for this reason held onto very tightly by their owners.

Thanks for this Peter! I actually never used the film Pen F, but it sure looks like a fun camera. Love the digital version.

Speaking of the Pen F, I have recently rediscovered the original Pen F series.

I do not propose going back to film but the lenses look interesting - they are very small, many have an excellent reputation and they have a short register distance so they do not need a large adapter as do many other legacy lenses. Besides which of course their build quality is second to none.

I have recently bought a 100mm f3.5 for use on my M4/3 cameras and look forward to doing so as this lens in particular has an enviable reputation for its optical characteristics.

Some info on Pen F lens tests can be found here - scroll down:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/olympus-pen-ft-practicing-good-penmanship.465163/

I have kept my eye out for a 2nd hand digital Pen F but they seem to be much loved and for this reason held onto very tightly by their owners.

I have a Pen FT with 2 lenses. You can use Canon FD lenses or M42 lenses on the Pen F or FT with an adapter.

Bojan: the thing I love about your pieces is that each is a quick, but deep, look into worlds about which I know nothing. It is like the best of radio interviewing, but with the visual element dialed in. The photographs by themselves would be interesting, but the deft combination of the two media -- images and sound -- seems deeper somehow for the association. Nicely done!

I see 'Pen F' in the title and get excited....only to realize the post is about a digital camera Olympus misnamed. Just like the only James Bond is Sean Connery , the only George Smiley is Alec Guinness, and the best Sherlock Holmes is Jeremy Brett,….
the only Pen F is the original of 1963. Olympus can't even name it a Pen D, that name is taken also, and I have one of those to.

PS; Ah, the lenses! I have a modest collection, 20 f3.5, 25 f4, 38 f1.8, 100 f3.5, 150 f4, and the beast a 50~90 f3.5.
and with Oly made OM and M42 mount adapters there is a staggering range of lenses within reach.

Bojan, I've just started watching your videos... they're magical. I had to tear myself away to get back to work! Thank you for all this work you've been doing. Great idea as a loving community portrait. Bravo!

Hi Bojan, I would like to compliment you on your nice audio mix--effects and a clear voices. I think that audio slide shows allow one to think more what the person is saying and the emotions. With video you get hung up on the person's looks, lighting, etc.

There is a lot of pressure and tendency to use video today since it it so much easier than it was years ago. However, most are low quality because of poor editing and poorly thought out ideas. YouTube abounds with these.

In the past I have done audio slide shows but lately have been doing more video. Your work has made me consider using audio slide shows again for my current project. Thanks!

Frank, Thank you for the kids words. I just watched your slideshow on weavers. Loved it. I couldn't agree more on video vs. slideshow. The problem with video is that everybody thinks they can do it because it seems so easy, but good film is really, really hard to make, so we end up with a lot of talking heads and bad B-roll. I really like the audio slideshows as a short-form storytelling. They let you linger on people and places in ways that video doesn't.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your slideshows.

Cheers.

Bojan

Hi Bojan, I would like to compliment you on your nice audio mix--effects and a clear voices. I think that audio slide shows allow one to think more what the person is saying and the emotions. With video you get hung up on the person's looks, lighting, etc.

There is a lot of pressure and tendency to use video today since it it so much easier than it was years ago. However, most are low quality because of poor editing and poorly thought out ideas. YouTube abounds with these.

In the past I have done audio slide shows but lately have been doing more video. Your work has made me consider using audio slide shows again for my current project. Thanks!

Super! Your editorial selection of images works really well with the audio story. The combination kept me interested all the way through. Excellent.

Back