OM, I've become a Zuikoholic!

congrats on the OM4 Keith - hope it's got the battery drain issue covered. Mine seems to be OK. Looking forward to the underpass - I recall some of your other tests using it.

and tell me - your impression of the finder, OM1 vs 4....?

A little less spaceous but still better than any other SLR I've ever used ... and I like the subtlety of the readout ... it's not the least bit distracting after the purity of the OM-1's finder! I was curious about this because you get the odd person that seems to think otherwise.

The camera also doesn't appear to have the overall build quality of the OM-1 ... it feels a little tinny in the hands by comparison!

just got my Zuiko 18mm f3.5 in the mail today. it has some cleaning marks on the front element, but nothing major. got it for $780 on ebay and am super excited about using it. it'll be the widest lens i've ever used by far.

just wish i could find the ever-elusive hood/adapter for it now....

The lack of AE exposure lock for the OM2n has prompted me to give a try of an OM4. I found one where the seller advertised the camera as having the updated meter circuit that doesn't drain batteries so I thought I would give it a try.

Now it I can find a 2-4 screen.... :rolleyes:

I remember Chis Crawford saying that the OM-4's spot metering system is so good he wouldn't bother with the center weighted metering of the other models because in difficult conditions spot is the only way to go for really accurate exposures.

I was pretty sceptical about his theory because I think I'm pretty good with a center weighted meter or a hand held incident but after discovering how easy to use the OM's spot meter is, in AE particularly, I may have to swallow my pride and agree with him ... it makes centre weighted seem a little archaic. Alternately you can just treat the camera like an OM-2 and use the normal metering in AE or manual ... it really is quite a camera!

I'll always love my OM-1 more than this new marvel but I have to admit I'm currently smitten with it's metering charms! :p

Keith,

Congratulations on your new acquisition, the OM-4 is a beautiful camera to use. If you want the OM-1 with the OM-4 metering you could always go for the OM-3? ;)

Keith,

Congratulations on your new acquisition, the OM-4 is a beautiful camera to use. If you want the OM-1 with the OM-4 metering you could always go for the OM-3? ;)

I don't discount that possibility at all Colin! :D

and tell me - your impression of the finder, OM1 vs 4....?
A little less spaceous but still better than any other SLR I've ever used ... and I like the subtlety of the readout ... it's not the least bit distracting after the purity of the OM-1's finder! I was curious about this because you get the odd person that seems to think otherwise.

The camera also doesn't appear to have the overall build quality of the OM-1 ... it feels a little tinny in the hands by comparison!
My experiences are mostly the same as Keith's.
I'd agree that the OM-4's viewfinder feels a little less spacious. But it's not a huge difference and still a great viewfinder. I found the OM-4 (Ti)'s viewfinder to be a little bit more usable with glasses than my OM-1's. (Most times, to be fair, I use contact lenses when photographing.)

The readout of the OM-4 is really useful and helps significantly in taking photographs without taking the eye from the viewfinder. Yes, you don't see an aperture value, but if you 'operate' aperture oriented, you always know more or less.

As per the built quality, it's odd. In part, the added plastic parts due to all the buttons and switches on the OM-4 somewhat makes it feel a little less hefty.
On paper, OM-1 and OM-4 weigh just as much. I haven't tested it, but I'd assume any difference stems from different haptics.

My experiences are mostly the same as Keith's.
I'd agree that the OM-4's viewfinder feels a little less spacious. But it's not a huge difference and still a great viewfinder. I found the OM-4 (Ti)'s viewfinder to be a little bit more usable with glasses than my OM-1's. (Most times, to be fair, I use contact lenses when photographing.)

The readout of the OM-4 is really useful and helps significantly in taking photographs without taking the eye from the viewfinder. Yes, you don't see an aperture value, but if you 'operate' aperture oriented, you always know more or less.

As per the built quality, it's odd. In part, the added plastic parts due to all the buttons and switches on the OM-4 somewhat makes it feel a little less hefty.
On paper, OM-1 and OM-4 weigh just as much. I haven't tested it, but I'd assume any difference stems from different haptics.

I concur with you both on the finder - there's just something so pure about the OM1.

The thing i didn't expect was the significant difference in heft between the OM1 or 4 and the 4Ti - yes I knew it'd be lighter, but that much?! The OM4ti feels like such a different camera.

To sneak into RF territory, it's similar I guess to an M2 and Zeiss Ikon ZM, but for some reason the OM4Ti seems more solid to me than the ZM. The Hexar RF though, despite it's titanium top and base plates is a solid chunk o metal....

OK... Geek out over...

6326558308_f57982ee78_b.jpg

* What else can the title be?

OM2000 + Zuiko 35-70mm

Yep ... enough geeking out on gear. Will has the right idea ... more pics! (great photo by the way)

:D

U5265I1320759077.SEQ.0.jpg

Damnit. I missed the 'just got an OM-4" party...I just got one. :)

My god, the meter is useful.

Hi Ethan,

Congratulations on the OM-4 ... I'm still coming to grips with mine. The purist in me keeps comparing it to my black OM-1 and it seems complex ... which it's not of course. :p

First pics from the OM-4 which actually turned out to be a little over exposed ... the ISO setting was half a stop out and using a spot meter is a whole new ball game! :D

om1om06.jpg

om1om07.jpg

I like this look (and this image), alot. This is why I remain a film shooter, I just haven't been able to achieve this feel with digital.

Keith-- do you mind sharing some details, such as what film & development, was this a 50/1.4?

--Steve

This was with my OM-1 (coated with magic Maitani pixi dust don't forget! :D) and my pre one million 50mm f1.4 ... but not the silver nose.

Film was Neopan 400 exposed at box speed and developed in Rodinal 50+1 for eleven minutes at 20 degrees. Thirty second intial agitation then one inversion each minute there after.

You're dead right and it's the same reason I also can never give up film. You just cannot get this look digitally ... it's not possible IMO. Which is not to denegrate digital ... it's just facing the truth! :p

First pics from the OM-4 which actually turned out to be a little over exposed ... the ISO setting was half a stop out and using a spot meter is a whole new ball game! :D

om1om06.jpg

Keith, learn to use and trust the highlight and shadow buttons. Once you get the hang of it, it'll make a short work out of hi-contrast scenes.

I like that one photo above.

Back