Pics from Perkeo II

Perkeo II and Rollei RPX 25 film.

zVoxOZ.jpg

YGxSp5.jpg

Well, on Ebay I found a Voigtlander "Deep Yellow 3X" slip-on filter, which at least should get me away from 1/500th in sunny daylight. I think 3X is 1.5 stops? Come to think of it, I could probably do something similar with all my vintage lenses to get away from the f/16-f/22 range where its just a hairswidth between stops. Probably wasn't even an issue back in the day when Kodachrome was ASA 10!

Agree!! As the owner of a Perkeo I and not the II I feel somewhat out of place in this thread, but I bought my camera (from the original owner) with a Voigtlander yellow-green filter which has turned out to be the best ever with B&W. It not only slows down fast films (in my case usually HP5+ or TMax 400) but it softens all the mid tones nicely and also does pleasant things to skies and clouds. When I bought it the owner told me he'd bought the filter with the camera in the early '50s and had taken it on his travels all over the world - yes, in those long ago times people shot their travel images and even landscapes in B&W - and both camera and filter had served him well.

My I has the superb Color Skopar lens in a synchro-compur shutter with a top speed of 1/300, so the filter has been very useful. It lets me shoot on the 'red dot' just past the f/11 mark, which is a sort of universal distance setting entirely suitable for most scenery shots. The IIs would also have this marking.

One of my four Rolleiflexes or a Contax G1 usually travel with me as my film shooters nowadays but if I had to, I wouldn't hesitate to take my Perkeo with that filter and as much B&W film as I can pack into my baggage.

Ok, my slow thanks to your thanks David! :) I am on this thread to get me excited to take the Perkeo out for a shoot. It has been too long!

David

Ok, my slow thanks to your thanks David! :) I am on this thread to get me excited to take the Perkeo out for a shoot. It has been too long!

David

I had my Perkeo II out yesterday, when I bicycle to a neighboring town for breakfast with some friends. It is such a compact and light camera ... Hardly noticed it in my bag at all!

I didn't bother to look at a meter reading: for ACROS 100, I just set f/11 @ 1/100 second since all the photos were outdoors on a nice sunny morning. Getting the focus correct for the first couple of frames was tricky—one forgets how little DoF you have available with a 6x6 camera at close range—but I got it sorted correctly for most of the photos.

50959394258_3ea3569afd_b.jpg

Linda - Mountain View 2021
Voigtländer Perkeo II, ACROS 100, f/11 @ 1/100

The Perkeo II remains a wonderful performer. :)

G

Along Hyde Street in San Francisco

Along Hyde Street in San Francisco

Certainly a treat to visit San Francisco last weekend. Walking from Marina back toward downtown something here caught my eye.

51027294988_3729402dbe_c.jpg

Perkeo 1 80mm f3.5 Color Skopar on Portra

This little jewel of a camera is seriously underrated. It’s beautiful for black and white work. When I focus on the film grain when printing, I can not tell the difference in sharpness between it and a Rolleiflex Planar. And the final mounted prints are sublime.
The two images above are magnificent, the bottom one is priceless.

This little jewel of a camera is seriously underrated. It’s beautiful for black and white work. When I focus on the film grain when printing, I can not tell the difference in sharpness between it and a Rolleiflex Planar. And the final mounted prints are sublime.
The two images above are magnificent, the bottom one is priceless.

Thank you. True. Sometimes i regret that trade her for Mamiya 6MF.

Incredible picture Bobby! Everything about it is exactly right and powerful. The angles, the hands, the sharp contrast between face and hat, the surrounding blackness, the mental intensity of what I take to be religious scholars. And the pièce de résistance, the white quill. Exceptional!

I keep returning to your picture, Bobby. It’s got a timeless quality, almost like a 16th century painting. It also reminds me of the work of the photographer Roman Vishniac.

Back