Pics from Perkeo II

Attachments

• Voigtlander Perkeo II 2.jpg
    Voigtlander Perkeo II 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
Shanghai GP3 100 film this time...

gVlQNU.jpg

Two from the first roll I've shot with my recently-acquired Perkeo II. I love the lens, especially stopped down. Both of these were "Sunny 16" exposures on HP5+, printed on Ilford MG RC (the first one) and Ilford MG FB (the second one).

Perkeo I, Color Skopar

med_U57945I1530130314.SEQ.0.jpg

Oh man, some years ago I had to unload a couple of these for a friend who had to move in with his son, and left all his stuff behind. Took me a month to find anyone interested in them. The guy who bought them was going to use them as big lawn ornaments.

PF

Just bought a Perkeo 11 from a chap in Stockholm and was wondering what details I need to get the correct Voigtländer lens hood and the filter sizes to go on the Skopar lens.
Thanks for any help.
James.

Thank you css9450. Just got a like new lens hood, yellow filter, uv filter with a lovely leather case.
Cheers,
James.

Perkeo II and Kontur finder...

Perkeo II and Kontur finder...

I've had a Perkeo II for some time now. I go through little waves of using it, but the last time was more than five years ago—about when I had it overhauled because the film advance was being flakey. It's a lovely camera, though, with a good lens: very compact and easy to carry. Post overhaul, mine now works perfectly.

The one thing I was never very fond of was the peephole viewfinder. I wear glasses and it was always difficult to see through the viewfinder and frame accurately. Flipping through the owner's manual, I noticed that there was an accessory viewfinder for it, the "Kontur 6x6" finder. I hunted around a little bit and found one at a reasonable price, it arrived a week or two ago. So when I needed to shoot some film to test the new Lab-Box processing tank, I decided to pull out the Perkeo II and give it some use.

The Kontur 6x6 finder is a gem! It's an unusual design: You don't actually look through it to see the scene. Instead, when you're shooting, you look through it with one eye and keep the other eye open ... what it provides is a beautiful, big, bright frame on a black field, your other eye sees the scene with no obstructions at all, and your binocular vision combines the two images into a perfect bright line finder frame with close up parallax marks and a center point for accurate framing. It's genius! I can see the whole finder frame with my glasses on and not even keeping my face smashed that close to the camera ... plenty of eye relief ... and the bright line frame is absolutely ultra clear and accurate.

At first I thought the price on this little gem was a little high. Now, I see it as more than a fair price for a viewfinder this good. I'll use the Perkeo II much more now that I can see through the viewfinder so well!

G

Voigtländer Perkeo II + Ilford XP2 Super
ISO 320 @ f/8 @ 1/100
Processing Lab-Box
HC-110 1:49 dilution, continuous agitation, 10 min

This young man was playing music in the parking lot of the shopping center as I arrived at the bicycle shop the other day. The music was haunting and beautiful, I stood entranced by his playing for several minutes and fished a few dollars out of my wallet. Several other folks as I stood there walked up, thanked him, and put money into the jar he had at his feet. On the jar was a photo of him with his young wife and child, with a very small note that said, "Thank you for helping. We lost our home in a fire."

As I walked up to put my money into his jar, one of the shop clerks across the way strode out and upbraided him for "... annoying people with that music! I'm not saying the music is bad, but not everyone is going to like it. You're going to cost me business!" He was being quite the butthole. The young man said, "I'm sorry, I meant no harm." A half dozen people on the sidewalk shouted, "Leave him alone!" It was horrible.

After the idiot clerk retreated back into the store, I walked up to young man and thanked him for his music, "You play beautifully, your music is wonderful. All these people love it. Don't let the fools get you down." He had a tear in his eye and gave me this quiet little smile and the peace sign. I asked if he minded I take a photo, and he nodded. I crossed the street to go into a store ... when I looked back, he'd left.

A few minutes later, in the store that the clerk came out of, I saw the clerk standing there talking to his colleagues (and presumably he was their manager). "You just have to put a stop to such people, they ruin the business if you let them have their way..."

I walked up to the group and addressed him. "Sir, I have a complaint."

"About what?" he said in his best smarmy manager voice.

"About the awful music you play in this store. It sounds like I'm standing in an smelly elevator. There was some beautiful music as I approached the store, I thought it was coming from the speakers in here—it's why I came in here!—but I guess not," I said back.

I turned with my purchase and left. I saw his colleagues snickering as I walked away: he stood there open-mouthed and looking foolish.

The photo was almost ruined because I hadn't rolled the film far enough into the camera when I loaded it ... the Perkeo does not have an index mark for the start point on the 120 roll. I lost about a quarter of the frame. Luckily there was enough left to make this photograph from the frame.

Enjoy!
G

Nice pic and story. He plays accordian, and hopefully he gets to vote!

Good you were able to salvage what you did. I know that next time I pull my Perkeo from the drawer and load it, I will have a learning curve again as it's been a couple of years.

David

I absolutely hate these cameras that resemble "piano-accordions"!
Using finest modern lenses, ap whatever on 35mm are wiped out by these fold boxes!
Beautiful images, lovely tones and great framing!
All of you doing great work..

Voigtländer Perkeo II + Ilford XP2 Super
ISO 320 @ f/8 @ 1/50
Process: Lab-Box
HC-110 1:49, 10 min

Enjoy! G

Back