Pics from Perkeo II

Nice photos with a great camera. The Perkeo II is one of the keepers in my mess of gear. :)

A couple of things I do:

• I don't use "sunny 16", I use "sunny 11". Particularly with XP2, I find giving it that extra stop of exposure helps bring up much better mid-tone shadow values and doesn't block the highlights. That nets another stop back to you for exposure adjustment.
  • Ilford XP2 also responds very nicely to being exposed even more ... it flattens out contrast to some degree but doesn't block up highlights (part of the joy of being a dye image rather than a silver grain image). I regularly set my meter to ISO 250 on a sunny day. That along with sunny 11 nets a little less than two stops more range for exposure before needing a filter.
  • In sunlight, I use a yellow or orange, or a green filter, a good bit of the time. I see you're moving in that direction yourself.

Enjoy your Perkeo II!

G

Tried some color print film. Leaving the lens cap on whenever the camera is unfolded eliminated almost all of my light leaks (standard 52mm lens cap fits the Voigtlander shade perfectly!).

nHaqYU.jpg

j4hZyW.jpg

So to investigate my light leak I sacrificed a roll of film and tried lots of different situations: lens cap on, lens cap off, camera unfolded, camera folded. Turns out, the lens cap doesn't matter; it leaks no matter if its on or not. It doesn't leak into the spools on either side, so the camera's back door is sealed OK. I think it leaks through either the shutter or (more likely) the bellows. See below.

TqAMY3.jpg

Leak pattern is the same no matter if the lens cap is on or not. The sharp edge on the left is the edge of the frame; the edge on the right is not the edge of the frame, that's about another quarter-inch to the right. Probably the bellows, you think?

Go into a dark closet - with a small camera flash unit that can be triggered manually - with the camera open, place the flash in the bellows and trigger the flash, while viewing from the front of the camera.

If you have any pin holes in the corners of the folds, you will see them.

I saw your other post in my thread about light leaks. Jurgen Kreckel says mine is most definitely a light leak. He doesn't think it's shutter--some shutters do leah light but not the type in my camera.

I'm thinking it might be where the bellows end at the shutter/lens assembly. I tried many different ways to see the light leak and I only found one tiny pin hole. Now, if the tiny pin hole can do that I'll be happy to have that one hole patched and no more light leaks. I'm hoping it's not the hinge area. I think I ruled out the red windows.

I only found one tiny pin hole. Now, if the tiny pin hole can do that I'll be happy to have that one hole patched and no more light leaks.

That's all I am seeing on mine. One tiny pin hole right at the corner of the bellows on the edge of one of the folds. Probably a high-wear area. But I think, yes, one tiny hole can create that big pattern of a leak like we are seeing. Think of it as an f64 aperture, or something like that. The leak shows up on the negative not as a tiny spot but as a huge portion of the negative.

Following a video I saw on Youtube, I patched my leak and finally got a roll with all 12 frames exposed, and no leaks!

7wDK36.jpg

IFODgg.jpg

Those are nice! Thanks for posting.

Reminds me I have some more film on the way. Delta 100. So I'll need a 120 reel too! :eek:

New pics finally. On Delta 100 this time. First time using my new Hewes 120 processing reel!

I see some fuzzy "spots" near the top of each picture. That's dust; these are quickie scans with my DSLR.

IISAqe.jpg

Jg161L.jpg

vzBYlp.jpg

Back