PIXII New french M Mount digital rangefinder announced

Just curious... does the link between lens helicoid and rangefinder have to be mechanical? Could the lens helicoid push on some sort of electrical contact that operates some sort of computer circuit? And if so, could this save money?

Yeah, did they reinvent the mechanical RF assembly?
It seems prone to misalignment and presumably, labor intensive to build. At some point a fly by wire RF could make sense. Rather helicoid on cam think helicoid on digital potentiometer. A small DC motor would have to drive the thing. Maybe even some sort of self calibration feature.
Or perhaps a new mechanical design. I don't think it will be like the one in a leica, in any case.

I notice the camera photos that you can see the lens in is the CV 21mm F4. They say the widest frame line is 28mm. Maybe this is an APSC camera? Just a guess.

I notice the camera photos that you can see the lens in is the CV 21mm F4. They say the widest frame line is 28mm. Maybe this is an APSC camera? Just a guess.

Ah so that would be a 28 equivalent frame line?
Too bad if it's APS-C. I don't mind the smaller sensor per se, but if there are no lenses made for it, wider M-mount lenses are unnecessarily big, slow and expensive.

Yeah, did they reinvent the mechanical RF assembly?
It seems prone to misalignment and presumably, labor intensive to build. At some point a fly by wire RF could make sense. Rather helicoid on cam think helicoid on digital potentiometer. A small DC motor would have to drive the thing. Maybe even some sort of self calibration feature.
Or perhaps a new mechanical design. I don't think it will be like the one in a leica, in any case.

I might be reading too much into it but the 'A New Original Rangefinder' there is an image showing what looks to be a digital focus scale that ranges from 0.7 to infinity. A position sensor on the rangefinder mechanism would allow that to be incorporated into the camera. Or just a position sensor and then a stepper motor could handle moving the optics for the second image position.

Shawn

I might be reading too much into it but the 'A New Original Rangefinder' there is an image showing what looks to be a digital focus scale that ranges from 0.7 to infinity. A position sensor on the rangefinder mechanism would allow that to be incorporated into the camera. Or just a position sensor and then a stepper motor could handle moving the optics for the second image position.

Shawn

That would be neat, if it works without noticeable lag, and probably cheaper to build than a mechanical RF.

That would be neat, if it works without noticeable lag, and probably cheaper to build than a mechanical RF.

The no noticeable lag would be important. If they did have something like this it would only take software to allow a user to tweak the RF for different lenses. That could be very slick.

Leica has some form of a movement sensor in their rangefinder assembly. It is how the live view cameras can do automatic MF assist (zoom) when the user adjusts focus.

Shawn

Anybody catch that it uses a Sony battery (NP-FW50) or that the OVF looks like it was photochopped from a CV finder (the same kind that Sony sells)? Would not be completely surprising if this had some Sony A7 DNA.

Dante

Anybody catch that it uses a Sony battery (NP-FW50) or that the OVF looks like it was photochopped from a CV finder (the same kind that Sony sells)? Would not be completely surprising if this had some Sony A7 DNA.

Dante

I hope you're right! getting it down to MFT or APS-C will make the camera difficult/impossible to work with "wide&fast" (assiming the 35mm minimum f length) lenses.

Talking about price... if it remains around a second hand M8 price, they'll sell it....if this cross the M9 second hand tag, it'll turn out a disaster.

Also, for god's sake, sell it directly. A kickstarter or similar for this price levels is a lottery ticket.

Looks like the design is still a little fluid. Backpanel is different between the various pictures on that site.

Shawn

So we're in the 3000€ land, for an APS-C..... :bang:
And we'll need, for example a 28/35mm 1.4-2.8 to have a decent 40/50mm. Explained : We'll have to spend >3k€ to save 3k€ in the camera, and end with a "non-Leica" camera. Probably I'm missing the point but... :confused:

If it's APS-H, like the M8, that's not terrible. APS-C would be a disappointment

Agree with what you are saying but if you look into the website more it does not appear as if the camera will do JPEGs at all. It sounds like they saving RAW only and are offloading all additional processing to their app or a computer.

Shawn

That makes sense. Why spend time and money building in-camera demoasaicking? iOS 12 already supports raw import from SDHC cards (with a dongle). I was wondering if PIXII would use DNG. There are iOS apps (other than Adobe's) that process DNG files. Most won't care as long as they can share rendered JPEGs as easily as they now share in-phone camera photos.

No doubt Adobe and non-Adobe Android apps handle DNG as well.

After reading the information about this camera, it seems like the primary benefit is to have your photos automatically transferred to your phone or other devise. I currently have a Fuji x camera that can have M mount lenses adapted to it and can transfer photos via Bluetooth to my iPhone and iPad. I'm sure a lot of other cameras have a similar features. It works OK, but it's often a pain to get the two to communicate via Bluetooth. A faster and more reliable process is to use a sd to lighting adapter for transferring photos.

If this camera transfers images seamlessly, it might be kind of interesting, but I'd expect that it will use Bluetooth connectivity that will not stay connected all the time. I certainly wouldn't pay several thousand dollars for what I would consider a fairly minor convenience when I could, say, buy a Fuji x-t3 for half as much and just transfer images, probably more reliably, via a $30 adapter.

Back