PIXII New french M Mount digital rangefinder announced

Pretty much spec'ed as an M8 which was introduced in 2004, only without a rear screen or the Leica name. I am sure it will find some buyers as a fashion accessory, but I can't see any photographers buying it.

why bother to buy a new APS-C if you can buy an M8 (APS-H) or even a fullframe M9 for less?!
Really can't see their sales argument

is the sensor on the Pixii also CMOS?

With those antiquated specs and hefty price one wonders of what is the whole point of this endeavour ?

I mean a new FF Sony A7 II with kit lens was selling at below a grand USD in the USA recently.

The sensor is APS-C...but with a 4:3 aspect ratio? Weird...could be interesting. I would not mind shooting this with Fuji telephotos for portraits, and adapting an 18mm full frame lens to shoot architecture on vacations (depending on what shift adapters there are).

And hey, global shutter!

Edit: uh...no LCD screen? Without an EVF, I can't do either of the things I was thinking of. UGH!!!

Who would buy this over a used M240? I mean it is a nice design and I do think it is cool to see someone attempt something new, but you can't charge the Leica tax on an under-spec'd camera when you are not Leica... :)

I mean a new FF Sony A7 II with kit lens was selling at below a grand USD in the USA recently.

Yeah, and some people hate Sony. I'd rather shoot with almost any other camera than Sony. That said, I too would choose the Sony over this just because it is better suited to my photography (but I really do not like using a Sony camera).

Yeah, and some people hate Sony. I'd rather shoot with almost any other camera than Sony. That said, I too would choose the Sony over this just because it is better suited to my photography (but I really do not like using a Sony camera).

The thing is that love or hate Sony, one can make a decision to buy or not to buy a particular brand on price alone.

Both Canon and Nikon's new FF mirrorless cameras are priced to over 2.5x to to 3x of what a comparable and relatively modern Sony model that is on sale.

For most, bargain sale pricing alone can make deciding which brand to buy all that much easier.

You don't think $3500 for this camera with these specs isn't a scam of sorts?

I chose my word because I'm not implying it is real. It simply sounds realistic as the cost of a low-volume player entering a niche-of-the-niche market could manage to offer.

There is a reason that Zeiss/Cosina/Voigtlander/Fuji/Whoever still hasn't churn out the full frame digital rangefinder with a price tag under $2,000 that everyone's so gonna buy.

They could sell a 1mp camera for $100'000 and it still wouldn't be a scam so long as they deliver what they promise for the price they advertise.

It does not even have to be as high as 1mp and could be super cheesily built as ever and as long as it is delivered it will not be a scam, but a slight rip-off ala Yashica Y35 :D

Back