Post your CL/CLE images

Horatio

Masked photographer
Local time
8:34 AM
I’ve been perusing this sub-forum since getting my CL, and I noticed there’s no pic thread here. Let’s see what this little gem can do! Post some photos taken with your CL.

Still working on my first roll in mine, but I’ll happily contribute when it’s processed.

Last edited:
18610055-orig.jpg

That’s a beauty, Bill. How do you like the Nokton? I have a 40mm 1.4 on the way. Can you post some pics made with yours?

The following were all taken with my (fairly new to me) Minolta CLE paired with a 28mm M-ROKKOR f2.8 lens using Ektachrome E100 transparency film. I imagine that these are likely of little value to others given that I only use a low quality Epson flatbed scanner to make the images available online. But they do help provide some insight as to how the camera's metering system works.

I can report that i've enjoyed using the CLE thus far. I've long been a Minolta fan having owned my XD-11 since the late 70's. Late last year when I started to ponder the possibility of selling my Leica M6, the CLE was one of the few cameras that came to mind for me as a potential successor. So now that I have the Minolta I'm taking some time to get to know it. Ergonomically speaking, the CLE works very well for me. I like the layout and feel of the controls while the general feel of the shutter release is a familiar one for me given my XD-11 experience. I like both the size and the weight the camera as well.

One thing that I feel I should point out is the responsiveness of the shutter release. Before purchasing the camera I had read a few comments made by some users pointing out that they had experienced noticeable shutter lag with this camera. I can only report that this has not been my experience at all so far. All in all it is a very nice camera and my biggest adjustment has been getting used to using the automatic aperture-priority mode. (The camera is capable of operating in full-manual mode, but without the assistance of the meter although you could meter in automatic mode before switching over to manual mode.) So far I've been pleased with the metering capabilities of the CLE and imagine that I would primarily shoot in automatic mode, making use of exposure compensation as needed.

I should probably note that I had started a W/NW thread a couple of weeks ago titled Take a Walk With Me that featured these same images. After noticing that this thread had been started I thought it might be appropriate to include these images here in the event that others might be searching on the Minolta CLE in particular at some point down the road. However, if cross-posting of images in this way is frowned upon here on RFF, then I hope that the moderators will accept my apologies and delete whatever content they feel is necessary.

SE PDX Bird's Bungalow by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Industrial Salvage by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Printing Company by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Kim Jong Grillin by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Station #9 by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Hydrant by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Zach's Shack by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Por Que No? by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX AUTO SPKR by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Richmond Stumptown by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

Hi Guth. Nice to see some color images. Are you familiar with Austin Grainger? He's a Portland-based photographer who shoots a CLE. Most of his images are posted on Flickr. I really like his style.

I use my CL most often with a '30s Elmar 35mm 3.5

50199459587_404fec1d90_c.jpg
Flickr
Glacier & Ringrose pks, Lake O'Hara, Canadian Rockies

50199485727_9cc6756ced_c.jpg
Flickr

Hi Guth. Nice to see some color images. Are you familiar with Austin Grainger? He's a Portland-based photographer who shoots a CLE. Most of his images are posted on Flickr. I really like his style.

To be honest, I couldn’t tell you the last time that I shot color film before this. I’ve only ever used B&W with the M6 over the two decades I’ve owned it (although my use of film fell dormant for a period of time during that spell). It did make for a nice change in the way I went about viewing things.

I am not familiar with Austin Grainger, but will now be sure to check out his work. Thanks for the tip!

I am not familiar with Austin Grainger, but will now be sure to check out his work. Thanks for the tip!

Just a minor typo, it's Granger, not Grainger. I follow Austin's work on Flickr, great stuff. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger

That’s a beauty, Bill. How do you like the Nokton? I have a 40mm 1.4 on the way. Can you post some pics made with yours?
Believe it or not, I've never used it. I bought the CL after I'd sold off all of my film cameras a little over a year ago just to have a "token film camera" and bought the Nokton to permanently mate to it (it's the SC version) - I don't think I have $700 in the entire kit. But, as I said, I've yet to shoot with it.

I bought the M2 in my signature very recently (don't ask why)!

I've had two copies of the 40mm Nocton (MC version) over the years and was always very pleased with it! It's a very sharp lens.

I'll make it a point to shoot with it soon on the M10 (it's 6-bit coded as a 35mm Summilux) and post some snaps in this thread.

Stay tuned!

Wow these images are fantastic. Tack sharp. Nice job fellas.

It's one of the nicest Leicas ever made, some would say the best if you want smaller and more convenient; and it takes almost the entire range of M (and LTM lenses with an adapter or two). It (CL) stands for Compact Leica.

If you are thinking of buying one do your research carefully as there are a lot of silly rumours about it. It's a mechanical camera with a meter built in, the meter has some mechanical parts and that means meter problems are not as serious as people will suggest; although you can be unlucky..

I said it takes almost the entire range of lenses and I do mean almost as there are only 2 or 3 that won't fit. OTOH, the main advantage is that there were two excellent lenses made for it and, once you have them, you need not worry about buying more as you have the complete outfit.

The Minolta CLE was an all electronic version of it made by Minolta when the Leica CL was discontinued; they are excellent when they work and have a good set of lenses with them and the flash. I had one for a short time in 1984 but couldn't get on with it and so took it back and got the old CL, which I still have (and all the bills).

Regards, David

My repair technician (who has over 50 years in the business) couldn't repair the meter in my CL despite numerous attempts and spare parts. Despite that there's much to like about the CL. Location of shutter speed dial is very helpful as it's located well away from the accessory shoe. Viewfinder is good although the RF patch leaves a bit to be desired. My favourite lens to use on it is the Nokton 40/1.4 SC.

I scored a CLE for a steal at $325 recently. I'm just about done with the test roll of Fomapan 100 that I'm running through it. Will add some photos to this thread in the next few days!

It's a lovely little camera. I think I prefer it over my Bessa RxA models!

I scored a CLE for a steal at $325 recently. I'm just about done with the test roll of Fomapan 100 that I'm running through it. Will add some photos to this thread in the next few days!

It's a lovely little camera. I think I prefer it over my Bessa RxA models!

Welcome to the club!

Back