Post your CL/CLE images

How’s the 1st roll coming along Horatio?

Almost done! LOL Just don't expect anything extraordinary when I post the test images.

I really like the feel of this camera. The only issue I'm having is the shutter release button does not fall where my index finger expects!

I've also made the rookie mistake of not removing the lens cap! I didn't have to worry about that when the Elmar was attached - no cap! :D

Last edited:
The following were all taken with my (fairly new to me) Minolta CLE paired with a 28mm M-ROKKOR f2.8 lens using Ektachrome E100 transparency film. I imagine that these are likely of little value to others given that I only use a low quality Epson flatbed scanner to make the images available online. But they do help provide some insight as to how the camera's metering system works.

I can report that i've enjoyed using the CLE thus far. I've long been a Minolta fan having owned my XD-11 since the late 70's. Late last year when I started to ponder the possibility of selling my Leica M6, the CLE was one of the few cameras that came to mind for me as a potential successor. So now that I have the Minolta I'm taking some time to get to know it. Ergonomically speaking, the CLE works very well for me. I like the layout and feel of the controls while the general feel of the shutter release is a familiar one for me given my XD-11 experience. I like both the size and the weight the camera as well.

One thing that I feel I should point out is the responsiveness of the shutter release. Before purchasing the camera I had read a few comments made by some users pointing out that they had experienced noticeable shutter lag with this camera. I can only report that this has not been my experience at all so far. All in all it is a very nice camera and my biggest adjustment has been getting used to using the automatic aperture-priority mode. (The camera is capable of operating in full-manual mode, but without the assistance of the meter although you could meter in automatic mode before switching over to manual mode.) So far I've been pleased with the metering capabilities of the CLE and imagine that I would primarily shoot in automatic mode, making use of exposure compensation as needed.

I should probably note that I had started a W/NW thread a couple of weeks ago titled Take a Walk With Me that featured these same images. After noticing that this thread had been started I thought it might be appropriate to include these images here in the event that others might be searching on the Minolta CLE in particular at some point down the road. However, if cross-posting of images in this way is frowned upon here on RFF, then I hope that the moderators will accept my apologies and delete whatever content they feel is necessary.

SE PDX Bird's Bungalow by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Industrial Salvage by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Printing Company by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Kim Jong Grillin by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Station #9 by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Hydrant by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Zach's Shack by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Por Que No? by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX AUTO SPKR by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

SE PDX Richmond Stumptown by Bill Guthrie, on Flickr

Nice images. I'm enjoying Stumptown coffee right now down on the southern OR coast.

I love the CLE, and also the CL. The CLE would be perfect-perfect for me if it had exposure lock, preferably on the shutter button.

Got my CL with the Summicron-C 40/2 and Elmar-C 90/4 as a kit, but there were issues. The 90 had the wrong hood on it, and it took me a while to realize that and get the correct one. The big issue was someone painted the inside of the camera with not the lightest of touch and I had to sand down areas where the film ran past the film gate. After that it's been a very good companion on my little day trips I would take before everything shut down.

The Fire Is Out by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Duncan's Store by P F McFarland, on Flickr

The Fleet Is In by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Emptyness by P F McFarland, on Flickr

And some color:

Rosa's by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Coming Round The Bend by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I quit bothering with using the internal meter. Too much expense having to change the battery every time I wanted to use the camera. Now I just wing it.

PF

That’s a beauty, Bill. How do you like the Nokton? I have a 40mm 1.4 on the way. Can you post some pics made with yours?

18617288-orig.jpg

18617286-orig.jpg

18617291-orig.jpg

18617289-orig.jpg

18617282-orig.jpg

18617281-orig.jpg

18617280-orig.jpg

18617279-orig.jpg

18617275-orig.jpg

These were all taken today w/ 40mm Nokton f.1.4 SC.

Looks pretty sharp, Bill. Hoping to process my HP5 this weekend, then post some scans (unless they suck!)

I was going to go to bed early tonight until I fired up this thread. There really should be tighter limits on the image sizes one can post on RFF. We don't all have super computers with ultra fast Internet service and 36 inch screens.

PF

8-15-20 Note: The massively long time it took for Bill's photos to load may have had something to do with the Internet, not this forum. Now they just pop up like everyone else's.

Developed the two CLE test rolls I shot this week. One roll was with the CV 40/1.4 and the other with the CV 25/4 using the whole VF for framing. I think the CLE + 25/4 combo is my new favourite walk around kit. A few images shot with the 25/4 with a yellow 12 on Fomapan 100. Aperture priority, as always these days.
OPkZ78m.jpg

e6M4VUu.jpg

I was going to go to bed early tonight until I fired up this thread. There really should be tighter limits on the image sizes one can post on RFF. We don't all have super computers with ultra fast Internet service and 36 inch screens.

PF

8-15-20 Note: The massively long time it took for Bill's photos to load may have had something to do with the Internet, not this forum. Now they just pop up like everyone else's.
Sorry about that! I did it intentionally so you can click and enlarge for full detail. They're still JPG images though (around 6-8 megabites each). Had I used my uncompressed TIF files you'd still be waiting from them to download. ...

Back in February, I was excited to pick up a used CL. Unfortunately, after putting one roll of film through it, I discovered a light leak, courtesy of a small crack in the rubberized curtain. The knowledgeable folks here on RFF helped me to diagnose and identify the issue. Not every frame had a leak, and most of the ones that did were small. This was the worst and most wild example from that first roll:

49703448331_55f4823515_b.jpg

I put the camera on the shelf for a few months, but recently got the courage to try a DIY repair, with some liquid electrical tape. I didn't do the best job of painting over the crack, but I just put a test roll through, and everything seems to be light tight now. All in all, not too bad for ~$300, with a working meter. :cool:

2020.09.19 Roll #257-05224-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

@dourbalister, count yourself lucky you have a working meter! I was told mine is dead, but I may install a battery and confirm that, after I finish my second roll of film. Hope to post some more images soon.

Your kids are very photogenic, BTW.

Cl

Cl

50353909517_4bfa2c42c9_c.jpg
Flickr

An 11x14" FB print from an Agfapan 25 negative taken last week with my Leica CL & '30s era 35mm 3.5 Elmar.

I had a couple of CL back in the day when they were in production. They were a great small camera for mountaineering & never let me down.

50389951073_3bf57e2b5d.jpg
Flickr

I took a chance on this clean 50 anniversary model from Japan for just under $400 w free shipping & meter status unknown. I had already talked to Don Goldberg about a CLA and meter parts, but the meter worked and the shutter speeds are accurate. If i'm not carrying a MF or view camera, it's my favourite tiny camera. Handles far better than the Rollei 35.

@dourbalister, count yourself lucky you have a working meter! I was told mine is dead, but I may install a battery and confirm that, after I finish my second roll of film. Hope to post some more images soon.

Your kids are very photogenic, BTW.

Yeah, I took a chance on the CL and hoped that the meter worked. Even if it didn't, $300 seemed like a good price for an otherwise working CL. Luckily as you say, so far so good, and happy I was able to DIY repair the curtain.

Thank you for your kind words, and thanks for starting this thread! Hope to see more of your photos here, too. :)

Sorry about that! I did it intentionally so you can click and enlarge for full detail. They're still JPG images though (around 6-8 megabites each). Had I used my uncompressed TIF files you'd still be waiting from them to download. ...

Someday I hope to upgrade from the DSL and a laptop. Even with everything working fine it takes some time for all your photos to load. The issue , Bill, is they load at full size, then the Forum reduces them instead of reducing them as they load. Not your fault, but just something to think about. That's why I like using Flickr as the image supplier since I can size them to fit the forum no matter what platform is being used. If someone wants to see it full size then clicking on the image will take them right to Flicker where they can pixel peep to their hearts content.

PF

ps: I do like the images. You get a lot out of that little camera.

I do like the images. You get a lot out of that little camera.

It's interesting as to me Bill's photos look very clinical in comparison with the rest posted here. I would have guessed a digital camera rather than an CL/CLE. Ironically, I was marveling at how sharp the last two rolls of Ektachrome I shot looked on the light table as viewed through a loupe. But by the time I had scanned them for posting the end result looked far less crisp.

That’s a beauty, Bill. How do you like the Nokton? I have a 40mm 1.4 on the way. Can you post some pics made with yours?

It's interesting as to me Bill's photos look very clinical in comparison with the rest posted here. I would have guessed a digital camera rather than an CL/CLE.

Perhaps Bill's samples were in response to Horatio's question about sample photos from the Nokton 40/1.4, but not necessarily made on the CL/CLE?

Back