Quick!! Help needed. Plustek 7600 or Epson V700?

Quick!! Help needed. Plustek 7600 or Epson V700?

• Epson V700

Votes: 82 62.1%
  • Plustek 7600AI

Votes: 50 37.9%

• Total voters
THe plustek 7500 seems to have batch scanning and likely would yield better scans than the 700. For starters there is no impossible to keep dust free glass between the film and CCD. I don't know for sure but I would gamble on the higher end plustek.

I have a Plustek 7300 and I'm very pleased with it. Manual film advance is a little annoying, but in practice not that big a deal. For the price, the quality is outstanding.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm having a real issue with the 7600 as far as dust goes. I've tried cleaning my negatives with compressed air and lately I've tried using a camel hair brush,that I clean out with compressed air between uses) but I'm still left with countless dust spot, OK 50+ per negative.

could the dust be inside the scanner? I know of people who have to take the Nikon 5000 apart on the rare occasion and dust it out, though mine never had that issue.

I've had a small spec of dust which showed up in the same corner after every scan with the plustek. Used a small amount of air blower and it cleaned it off.

could the dust be inside the scanner? I know of people who have to take the Nikon 5000 apart on the rare occasion and dust it out, though mine never had that issue.

I was thinking that could be the problem but I've only had the scanner for a few months so I hope not as having to take it apart every few months isn't my idea of fun :(

In reading, on Amazon and elsewhere, reviews of the Plustec models, I did not get the impression that Plustec users think very well of their scanners. Then again, a couple of Epson users found the build quality of their scanners to be poor. So.

Count me as a happy PlusTek 7600i user. No problems with it so far, other than the awkward SilverFast software.

But I don't think this should be an either/or thing, one is a dedicated film scanner and the other is a flatbed scanner that can scan negatives. I've currently got the PlusTek but I plan to add a V700 to it soon in order to upgrade my old flatbed scanner.

I have both the Plustek 7500i and the Epson V750. The Plustek is better at scanning 35mm film, as expected. However, if I had to choose only one scanner to keep, it would be the Epson because it allows me to scan a complete negatives sheet, giving excellent contact sheets.

Did anyone mention that the V700 also scans 4x5 film???????????????????????

That alone is why you buy one. Medium and miniature formats area a bonus.

Does anyone know if the Plustek can scan 35mm Xpan format? I have a Microtek ArtixScan 120tf that does a great job with standard AND Xpan negs and slides. Sadly, it's dying. I've seen reports that the V700 and V750 only actually scan up to 1750 dpi.

RB

>>I've seen reports that the V700 and V750 only actually scan up to 1750 dpi.<<

They either didn't have good scanning skills, didn't know how to measure resolution, were just parroting something they heard someone else say or had defective equipment. You should be able to get at least in the 2400 ppi range. Some people tested closer to 3200 ppi.

Doug

I have the Plustek 7200. It did a very acceptable job scanning 35 negs and slides for a couple of years. However, recently the Silverfast software decided it didn't want to do negs anymore, just positives. So I've been shooting a lot of Fujichromes.

Obviously, the problem is not with the Plustek, but with the software.

And no, it won't do Xpans.

My Epson Perfection 4990 Photo flatbed scanner does a fine job with 4X5 negs, but not with smaller negs like 35 or 6X6.

hey Keith, I might be upgrading to a epson V700 next year from my Canoscan 8600f. What are the medium format holders like? I am forever having trouble with them on the canoscan

Cheers
Steve

I suspect they are the same as they are on the V500. They were very inadequate. Every advice I have heard, and I was looking into it, was to use purchase the BetterScanning holders for MF along with the ANR glass to hold the negs/transparencies flat.

I did not get good results from the MF Epson holders.

I sold the scanner before I got around to the new holders and I send my negs/trans to be scanned. Time is also an issue with me, in addition to learning yet another process... scanning with good results.

Doing everything myself is not as high a priority as getting good results. I personally think scanning is the weak link in thte whole DIY process, and I'd rather not have to spend the time Post Processing my way out of poor scans.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Plustek can scan 35mm Xpan format? I have a Microtek ArtixScan 120tf that does a great job with standard AND Xpan negs and slides. Sadly, it's dying. I've seen reports that the V700 and V750 only actually scan up to 1750 dpi.

RB

Not true, I have no trouble scanning at 3200 with my Epson 750. It's an excellent scanner, and I have scanned thousands of negatives from 35mm to 8x10 with it. It is one of the few pieces of equipment I have which I don't have any complaints about.

Downloaded new software (LaserSoft Silverfast, upgraded version, AND bought for $39.95 new upgraded version of Plustek). Now it works fine. I've been reading about the V750 and am intrigued. How does "wet" scanning work, anyway?

I have the V700 and a Nikon Coolscan V ED. The V700 is great for B & W negatives. It is a big machine though, uncertain to survive my wife's tidying impulse. I don't know the size of the Plustek.

Back