Quick!! Help needed. Plustek 7600 or Epson V700?

Quick!! Help needed. Plustek 7600 or Epson V700?

• Epson V700

Votes: 82 62.1%
  • Plustek 7600AI

Votes: 50 37.9%

• Total voters
Richard, the Plustek is approximately the size of a loaf of bread (10 1/2" x 4" x 4 3/4"). Film tray loading is from a slot in the side, and as you push it through, the tray emerges from a slot on the other side.

If you only shoot 35mm, get the 35mm film scanner. Scans will be better than the Epson
I can't speak for anyone else but I'm having a real issue with the 7600 as far as dust goes. I've tried cleaning my negatives with compressed air and lately I've tried using a camel hair brush,that I clean out with compressed air between uses) but I'm still left with countless dust spot, OK 50+ per negative.
The scanner has a dust/scrarch removal feature.
Have you turned it ON?
Pretty hard to clean a neg and get no spots w/o it on no matter what you do

If you only shoot 35mm, get the 35mm film scanner. Scans will be better than the Epson

The scanner has a dust/scrarch removal feature.
Have you turned it ON?
Pretty hard to clean a neg and get no spots w/o it on no matter what you do

Yes I've turned it "ON" and then quickly turned it OFF again.
To say this feature is useless is an understatement! From what I seen all it does it blur the scans while at best only removing a small percentage of the dust and scratches.

There should be two software programs that came with the Plustek; the plustek And a Silverfast specific to the Plustek. I think the Silverfast has Digital Ice. Try that.

There should be two software programs that came with the Plustek; the plustek And a Silverfast specific to the Plustek. I think the Silverfast has Digital Ice. Try that.

Ted,

While Silverfast does have a scratch/dust removal program the result are not much better and are often worst then using the scanner with Vuescan. Also I've fairly sure it's not Digital Ice as that's hardware/software solution and Plustek Scanner come with what is called "iSRD" rather then "Digital Ice"
BTW for anyone not familiar with using iSRD through SilverFast it involves dividing an image into small sections, 12-16 if I recall correctly, and then using masking and other feature to remove the dust and scratches from that area before moving to the next area. Its my oppinion that using this feature degrades the quality of the scan and saves very little if any time over manually removing dust and scratches in LR.

Mike

While Silverfast does have a scratch/dust removal program the result are not much better and are often worst then using the scanner with Vuescan. Also I've fairly sure it's not Digital Ice as that's hardware/software solution and Plustek Scanner come with what is called "iSRD" rather then "Digital Ice"

The Silverfast software should have both and the Plustek does include the infared (ICE) on the 7500 & 7600

The Silverfast software should have both and the Plustek does include the infared (ICE) on the 7500 & 7600

The SE version of Sliverfast that somes with $325.00 version of the 7500 I have only comes with iSRD and does not included "Digital Ice"

on a french forum where I am , whe made a test between plustek and epson

the conclusion was that the plusteck add noise to the picture, lesss details, and awfull colors
(on the other hand the epson can scan document and 135 +120 film)

I've had my V700 for a week now. I love it. Nothing in my past to compare it against. I don't like the film holders and may eventually get an aftermarket gizmo from betterscanning.com (AN glass inserts for 135 probably). otherwise, I think this is great. Paid $499 from B&H including shipping. now digging out 25 and 30 year old negatives and slides, plus the film I'm currently shooting to keep myself busy (when I'm supposed to be focusing on my day job).

I recently tired of the silverfast software and switched to Vuescan. Much more user friendly, and I seem to get better scans with the Plustek 7200 at 2400.

I was absolutely disappointed by the 7600i. Especially the shadows were insanely noisy, making some of the scans virtually unusable. Multiscanning didn't help, just doubled or quadrupled scanning time. For negatives not containg many shadow areas, it works ok, but not better than a flatbed scanner. On top of that it produced colored stripes on the scanned negatives.
To be honest I was quite outraged they were selling this crap machine for 300 Euros, even including Silverfast. Avoid Plustek.

Zniv, I think you should return it and ask for a replacement. It's obviously defective. My 7200 has none of the problems you just described. Also, if you do this, replace Silverfast with VueScan. It's way easier to use.

Just learning the V700, seems powerful but colour is not always accurate. It's quick, friendly and works nice with Silverfast software but online help stinks and I am afraid I have to learn everything by trial and error. Any tips?
regards.
Simon

I have a need for a flatbed scanner for glass slides (I already have Nikon Coolscan IV ED for negs and recent slides).

I have tried this on my current flatbed (old cheap Canon Canoscan LIDE 30) but the scans are out of focus.

Has anyone got experience with old (pre-1910) glass slide scanning...? They are not mounted between layers of glass but actually developed onto one side of the glass surface.

Thanks

i have a plustek 7600i for scanning 35mm and a v700 for scanning 120.

if you only shoot 35mm maybe the way to go is get a really cheap flatbed that can scan film so that you can quickly scan whole rolls to make a contact sheet.

then the few frames you select from that contact sheet you can then scan for print through the 7600i

I just bought the Plustek 7300 today. Its got my HP G4050 beat by a mile/kilometer when it comes to scanning 35mm negatives.

Quite happy with it, albeit having to manually advance each frame is an inconvenience, but at US$214, I'm definitely not complaining.

Here's a snap with the R3A & the CV50mm f/3.5 collapsable.

Scan-100311-0007s.jpg

Last edited:
A photographer friend of mine just ordered a Plustek 7400. He seemed to think it was the newest model and that Silverfast had updated an improved version of its software. Is he correct about the 7400 being the newest model?

I don't really care about the Silverfast update. Couldn't get Silverfast to work half the time anyway, so I switched to Vuescan.. Much friendlier. The Silverfast would tell me it couldn't find the scanner, or the scanner was not turned on, or it would stop in the middle of a scan, freeze the computer, and required a restart. Yuck.

Back