Votes: 32 23.2%
  • No comment

Votes: 11 8.0%

• Total voters

ent2b

SLR->DSLR->RF->Bankrupt
Local time
3:12 PM
Please vote/expound upon your choice. I am debating getting one or the other. I have very long fingers and sometimes i feel like the bottom 2 fingers are just left "hanging there".

wow - 100% for the side grip - and after only one vote.....(maths was always my strong point).

Seriously though, I use the side grip on the Bessa R3a and the Bessa L and I find it adds to the ergonomics (as does one of Gordon's leather straps).

If you shoot fast action the trigger winder is said to be good for up to 3 frames per second - with practice(!). However I've also read some reports of less- than - accurate frame alignment including some overlaps with the trigger winder used in earnest....

Last edited:
I say keep it nekkid.. But if you find you could do with some more area to hold.. maybe the trigger winder would be a good idea :)

i've tried the winder and it felt heavy. esp if i am traveling with a hiking pack. but, i obviously like the faster frame advancing. never tried the side grip, though, nor do i know of anyone who has one. heck, idk anyone else in my town with a bessa (not to say there isn't one).

Side grip due to the weight of the winder. I think it was a big plus when on my R2.

I sold all my Voigtlander grips (including the Triggerwinder). I do not have big hands and the R2 fits well in my hands with the grips.

I've had side grips on my R and now my R3A. Adds some weight, for sure, but I like the solid grip.

I use the bottom half of the ever-ready case on my Bessa L, and it provides good grip too (and some protection). That option should be in your poll as well.

I have both the side grip and the trigger winder for my R3. (Whole mess is for sale, btw.)

I like the trigger winder, but day to day, the side grip is the better option. It adds the same grip with much less bulk. The winder allows the camera to hang vertically, which is a plus to me, but is is generally just that much more weight tugging at your neck.

If you need to take three frames a second, then I would say go for the winder.

If you don't, go for the side grip and save yourself the money and the weight.

so based on you guys' recommendations, i went for a side grip from Terence. thanks everyone!

I have it. It's OK. I don't use it much because it doesn't fit in my coat pocket when it's on. Also, since it uses the tripod socket, you can't just leave it on if you plan of using a tripod ever. All in all, it's not the best accessory ever. But for $40 it's not terrible to have.

You can always order from adorama, and if you don't dig it (or scratch it) you can return it. (My life philosophy.)

adam

Adam - i hear you about the tripod. that's why i wanted a unigrip, but they are no longer made and i missed buying the only one i've seen on here by a few seconds. plus, i have a bogen 488RC2 head on my tripod, so i'd have to buy another quick-release plate, etc.

gene - i'm hoping that's what i feel too! :D

I love the way the trigger winder allows me to hand the body (from one side). The side grip does not add an extra lug so for me it's not worth it.

Weight-wise the bessa winder is a feather compared to MOOLY or the rapidwinders that I have. I guess it's all relative.

B2 (;->

Both grip and winder add some weight and bulk. To me, that's the only downside.

I find the grip improves handling considerably. The body fits the hand better, allowing secure holding with less finger pressure; the body rests more in your right palm, and you're not consciously squeezing the body to keep it from slipping. Combine it with a wrist strap for fatigue-free one-handed holding: thumb behind wind lever, body/grip nestled in palm, the whole rig stabilized by the strap. I haven't found an RF body yet that didn't handle better with a grip, and I'm trying to figure out how to add a grip to my Canon 7S.

The winder is great for left-eyed shooters, allowing you to concentrate on the subject, without having to push the body away from your face to advance the film. I seldom use the winder for rapid firing, but it stays on the body because of the better handling. Having the Bessa Trigger Winder with built-in grip is kismet. If you are a compulsive focus ring tweaker, the transition from wind to focus can feel awkward until you get used to it. There's more back-and-forth action with the left fingers for sure.

I find a bottom grip improves the winder handling. The bottom grip nestles in your left palm, giving a more natural squeeze action on the trigger. This adds more bulk and weight to the package, but you can remove the winder in less than a minute to get back to basics.

I seldom take mine off, but I'm not sure whether I'd like it as much if I were right eye dominant.

I've never liked or understood hanging a body vertically---it just doesn't work for me. Takes longer to get the camera in my hand, the straps are always in the way.....I've tried, but can't get used to it. I understand some folks like it a lot, so I'm glad the winder gives you the option. The extra lug doesn't get in the way.

The side grip is a definite plus. If you need to use a tripod add a 1/4 x 20 tripod socket. If you don't want to tackle this job, it can be done by any machinist. Have them use a threaded insert such as a helicoil. Also if you really want to hang the camera vertically, buy an extra side grip for the strap lug (they are threaded into the grip), and have the machinist install another strap lug in the appropriate place. The strap lug can also be made from a machine screw.

I think attaching another (lower) strap lug on the Bessa side grip would leave too little room for fingers. The trigger winder has enough space because it's taller... Neither the Leica nor Zeiss-Ikon side grips have lower strap lugs either.

I just got a great deal on a side grip. Dunno if it is any easier to hold than in the half-case, but the switch to the lug on the side grip DID make the camera hang straighter. I'll try the side grip with a wrist strap and see if it's an improvement. So far, I don't think paying retail would be a good idea, but MY price made it a nice option.

Regards!
Don

I'd say get a side grip if you need a better grip. The trigger winder attempts to do something different, and on some Bessa models doesn't even seem to work very dependably. Main issues seem to be uneven frame spacing, with the occasional jam.

Back