Canada RFF Montreal - model shoot

BJ Bignell

Je n'aurai plus peur
Local time
12:57 PM
Ladies and gents,

To help plan the RFF Montréal weekend, I would like those who have serious interest in doing a model shoot to please let us know. Plans are:

Who?
You and the models. Our models will be Jenny, Kyo, and Marieve; you can see Jenny and Kyo on Marc's website. They have agreed to work on a TFP basis, so you must agree to forward high-quality scans of your works afterwards. You will not be obliged to pay anything to the models, but I'm sure they will greatly appreciate a small donation for their time - you'll make the right decision.

What?
Naked in the House format (without the Naked part!) where each photographer gets a set limit of time, a set amount of film, and free reign anywhere in the facility to do their work. Start planning your ideas now, and if you have any requests, ideas, or needs for the models, let me know via email.

When?
Sunday, May 20th, about midday.

Where?
St-Henri, within ~10 minute walk of metro station Lionel-Groulx (orange and green lines).

For those of you who have never done a model shoot, or have just never had the opportunity, this could be a lot of fun and a great way to try something new. I look forward to your replies.

Cheers,
BJ

Last edited:
I'm interested in the challenge. If at least 2 or 3 others (hopefully more) participate, it will be extrememly interesting to display our different results/vision of an identical opportunity with a location and model.

I'm taking care of the model so you shouldn't worry too much. It'll be either one of the girls I've already shot or another one from my waiting list. If the participants have a favorite in the ones I've shot so far, let me know.

Don't worry Nancy, we've seen enough of Dave in his avatar to know not to ask him to be the model!

And, for those who don't know all the "lingo": TFP means "Time for Pictures". The model trades his/her time in exchange for copies of your pictures.

Marc Jutras said:
I'm taking care of the model so you shouldn't worry too much. It'll be either one of the girls I've already shot or another one from my waiting list. If the participants have a favorite in the ones I've shot so far, let me know.

Waiting list, you say? :D Do tell...

BJ Bignell said:
Don't worry Nancy, we've seen enough of Dave in his avatar to know not to ask him to be the model!

Eh, just making sure... :cool:

BJ Bignell said:
And, for those who don't know all the "lingo": TFP means "Time for Pictures". The model trades his/her time in exchange for copies of your pictures.

*giggles at lingo comment*

:p

Count me in. But I still don't have a rangefinder.... (I'll be hanging out with two other fellows that already replied here).

somecanuckchick said:
Waiting list, you say? :D Do tell...

Apparently, many models really want to have some of my work in their portfolio. I'm asked to shoot so often it's almost not funny anymore. Especially considering the fact that my interest for it has been going down in the last few months. So, I have a waiting list that is getting longer every week.

I decided to shoot only when I'm inspired and then, I choose who will fit with my idea. Sometimes, like Jenny, some models shows up and I get an idea right away. Usually, my stylist gets an idea too, we find a location and the whole thing happens like a miracle.

I think that for this special event, I'll go with one of my two best models or both. Two that have been doing it professionally for a while. It's so much easier for the photographer when the models knows what to do (not to mention "not camera shy"). So the two best ones would probably be Jenny and Kyo. Maïté and Élie-Anne would be very nice too but might require more direction. Check my site and let me know which one you prefer.

Marc: I personally have no experience model shooting, and suspect that many of the interested members are the same. I think it would definitely be a good idea to have a more experienced model, someone who is natural would put us learning photographers at ease.

hub: I think there will be enough spare rangefinders floating around on the weekend that you should not have any problems. I personally have 2 Bessa R bodies, an Oly XA, and a HiMatic F, and I can't possibly use them all at once...

BJ (& Marc), I sent a PM about my interest & will just repeat that here. My interest in the weekend largely comes from the possibility of shooting willing people in low light, since I have little experience of that. Not too many ideas, either, until we get to the setting. Keen to learn, hope something comes of it that the model(s) will like.

I have received confirmation from Kyo that she'll be there. I'm waiting to hear from Jenny. They are the two most experienced models I've worked with. If Jenny, can't make it, I have many other names on my list.

The location should be the old Dow brewery. I should have a guide for that location. I'll confirm as soon as I hear from him. I'm trying to get two models so that we don't spend too much time in there.

Marc Jutras said:
I have received confirmation from Kyo that she'll be there. I'm waiting to hear from Jenny. They are the two most experienced models I've worked with. If Jenny, can't make it, I have many other names on my list.

The location should be the old Dow brewery. I should have a guide for that location. I'll confirm as soon as I hear from him. I'm trying to get two models so that we don't spend too much time in there.

Exxxxxcellent! Merci beaucoup! :)

The old Dow brewery is apparently being turned into condos. My friend told me of another similar location. I should have news later this week.

Good news! Kyo and Jenny have confirmed they will be there. That's simply perfect! Their experience will help those who don't have much experience directing models. And you just can't go wrong with those two.

I'm still waiting for confirmation on the location.

Back