Canada RFF Montreal - model shoot

Latest news!

Unfortunately, it appears that all abandoned industrial locations are now unaccessible. We now have to find another idea. BJ and I thought we should ask you, the participants, what kind of location you'd like to work in.

I have a little idea in the back of my head but I need to confirm the possibility first. In the meantime, give me your suggestions.

I prefer urban/industrial decay as a background.

junkyard, auto wreckers yard, abandoned house

Ideally, something rough or industrial would contrast well with the models. But I'm open to anything as long as there is an environment that the girls can interact with. A "blank slate", like a studio, is a terrifying prospect!

Latest ideas (and bump at the same time)

So far, no indoor location has been found. All abandonned industrial locations seem to have been taken care of by the city or promoters.

The Canadian Centre for Architecture has a wonderful public place with various structures and sculptures that is quite nice for a photo session. That would be nice.

Le Carré Viger, a (mostly) concrete park above the underground highway downtown should be nice as well.

That means it has to be anything but rainy (or, God forbid, snowy) that day.

If you guys prefer an indoor location, I could try with a new bar near my place that is really nice. But that would probably require artificial lighting. I could provide 1 flash with umbrella to each shooter (2 heads, 2 models...) but then, this would be a totally different experience.

Please let me know what you think. I'm still trying to come up with the perfect solution.

Alright, we think we found the location! :D

Assuming we have good weather and a bit of luck, we'll be shooting in St-Henri. I found a couple of locations within ~10 minutes walk of the St-Henri metro stop (orange line) that should satisfy most of our needs. There are the following locations:
  • An abandoned building (inside not accessible) that has been tagged and busted up a bit.
  • Under the highway there is a large flat area with decent light and big sections of fancy graffiti.
  • A typical neighbourhood park with war monument and trees, for those looking for something less run-down.
  • Building redevelopment site that looks like it might be left wide-open as well, for shelter if the weather is less than pleasant.

I'll hopefully have time to ride up there in the morning, and snap a few quick pictures to give you an idea. We'll continue to dream up other locations for inclement weather, so that we're well prepared. And don't worry, it's not likely to snow!

And finally, Marc has wrangled up a third model. He certainly seems to have a way with the ladies! ;) A cousin of Jenny's, Marieve, will be joining us.

BJ Bignell said:
And finally, Marc has wrangled up a third model. He certainly seems to have a way with the ladies! ;) A cousin of Jenny's, Marieve, will be joining us.

LOL

As BJ and I were discussing the locations on MSN, Jenny popped up and asked me if her cousin who is starting in modeling could join us. She doesn't have as much experience as Jenny and Kyo but it should be fine. I figured a third model would be nice since the locations are a bit apart. It should give more time to everyone to work or allow for more participants. If we get more participants, I could "wrangle up" more models on short notice.

Marc Jutras said:
LOL

As BJ and I were discussing the locations on MSN, Jenny popped up and asked me if her cousin who is starting in modeling could join us. She doesn't have as much experience as Jenny and Kyo but it should be fine. I figured a third model would be nice since the locations are a bit apart. It should give more time to everyone to work or allow for more participants. If we get more participants, I could "wrangle up" more models on short notice.

I have this vision of you now... on a horse... with a lasso... think we could set that in some uber urban decay area? *wink*

:) SC

Marc Jutras said:

So far, no indoor location has been found.... The Canadian Centre for Architecture has a wonderful public place with various structures and sculptures that is quite nice for a photo session. That would be nice.

Crazy suggestion: The CCA is actually quite a nice *indoor* location, too, what with its mix of old & new architecture and the ever-changing crop of exhibits. They've never stopped me from taking pictures there. (Some of my gallery stuff was shot on the premises.)

Admission costs ten bucks, and they might look askance at a bunch of blokes with Domke bags and mechanical cameras waltzing in with a quarter-dozen sweet young things in high heels and trenchcoats, BUT, if someone were to politely approach the administration with a specific request for a group photographic activity that might possibly garner them some favorable press ("We're part of an international photographic discussion society of 12000 members and we're holding a regional gathering and group shoot"), they might just wave you all in. The time to ask would be *now*, though.

Long shot, but the building's worth it. The bookstore has some decent photographic titles, too.

Marc Jutras said:

Le Carré Viger, a (mostly) concrete park above the underground highway downtown should be nice as well.
Isn't that Place Jean-Paul Riopelle, right accross from Palais des Congrès? The one with the fire fountain?

hub said:
Isn't that Place Jean-Paul Riopelle, right accross from Palais des Congrès? The one with the fire fountain?

Carré Viger is more towards Berri, in front the old Viger train station. It's where all the junkies and punks spend the Summer.

Whie I'm having the attention of the participants... :)

What type of clothing would you like the models to wear? I was thinking of asking Kyo to adopt her usual cyber-goth look and Jenny to go for something more classy. I haven't met Marieve yet so I don't know what she'll look like. Jenny will probably give her advice on that.

So, would you like outfits that go with the environment or a major clash with over-dressed girls in a trashy setting? Since they won't be able to change and that their look will influence how you shoot, think about it. I will send them instructions soon.

Worn/ripped jeans and grungy t-shirt, darkened eye sockets for heroin-chic look. Just for variety. I don't like over-dressed models, too pretentious. Just a suggestion.

FrankS said:
Worn/ripped jeans and grungy t-shirt, darkened eye sockets for heroin-chic look. Just for variety. I don't like over-dressed models, too pretentious. Just a suggestion.

c'mon, an 80s prom dress with teased hair would rock!

Now if you could find a statistics conference for me just after the shoot day, I could travel over "there".

Raid

I like your ideas for Kyo and Jenny (and it's what I was expecting, anyways). For Marieve, it would be nice if she could somehow differentiate herself from the other two, but as it's not yet 8:00am, I'm strapped for ideas.

For all three, it would be nice if their outfits were simple, so that they could easily change the look just by slipping a different shirt over their "base" outfit. This would give a bit of variety without being complicated, I think.

Good ideas. I like the idea of a few accessories to put over the "base" outfit.

I'll let the ladies know about that.

btw do we need to have release forms read for the model shoot?

if yes, does anybody (Marc?) have templates (in French it is perfectly fine :)) ?

Back