Canada RFF Montreal - model shoot

I don't think you'll need releases unless you plan to publish commercially. I have a bilingual one if you need.

Given that Quebec law is similar to the French law to that regard (and yes it is actually different than the rest canada) I'm really wondering.

A release is useful only if you want to publish If you don't publish, there's no problem at all. Only publishers will ask for that.

All that stuff about pictures of people in Quebec only concerns publication. And then, a judge will invalidate a release in a heartbeat, even from a professional paid job. The model's right to privacy has priority over everything, even a commercial contract. It's pretty crazy. Also, the release must specify what the job is, how the pictures are going to be used (specifically like the name of the magazine), when (precise dates) and how many copies will be produced. If you want to reuse the pictures, you have to contact the model again and ask for another release. The universal and eternal release is not good anymore. That way, the models have absolute control of their personal image.

I never use releases. There's not a single one for all the stuff on my website. If the models change their mind later, they first have to ask you, or through a judge, to remove the material. If you don't comply, then you're in trouble and can get sued. not before you refused to remove the material.

So, for what we're doing this weekend, I don't think you need to worry. I know I won't.

Back