Ricoh GRX, GF1 or G2?!?!

• Ricoh GRX

Votes: 68 39.3%
  • Panasonic GF1 (20mm)

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • Panasonic G2 (20mm)

Votes: 24 13.9%

• Total voters
I bought a GXR a few months ago and find it to be an excellent little camera. As others have stated, the interface is great -- better than any other digital I've used, including my D700.

Both A12 units focus well with the most recent firmware update, but still not quite as fast as the GF1. I had one of those, and sold it. The Ricoh blows it away at any ISO over 400. However, the Ricoh files are not great at ISO 3200. Some shots look okay, but if you have to bring up the shadows at all, banding results. Between 200 and 800, the files are really outstanding. Another plus for me over the GF1 is the fact that the Ricoh shutter is virtually silent and the EFV is very good. The build quality and finish of the Ricoh is really first rate as well.

That said, with the viewfinder attached and the 50mm lens module, the GXR is not that small anymore and won't really fit in a pocket.

I used an X1 intensively for about a year and then tried the GXR - as a result the X1 was sold - the GXR is a much more rounded camera - I'd go so far as to say that it comes closest at the moment to the mythical perfect small(ish) camera

A more detailed comparison between the two is at my blog (below)

I used an X1 intensively for about a year and then tried the GXR - as a result the X1 was sold - the GXR is a much more rounded camera - I'd go so far as to say that it comes closest at the moment to the mythical perfect small(ish) camera

I'd say the X100 bests it.

Poll choice should list Ricoh GXR, not Ricoh GRX.

Still find the GXR to be amongst the best choices in this class of cameras. My #2 at present is the Sony NEX 6.

G

Poll choice should list Ricoh GXR, not Ricoh GRX.

Still find the GXR to be amongst the best choices in this class of cameras. My #2 at present is the Sony NEX 6.

G

I had my GXR-M and my M9 with me recently, in a dark night club. With a very fast lens on, I got better pictures with the GXR than with the M9, because of the focus peaking. I forgot to bring along the little eyepiece magnifier to help focus the M9 rangefinder.

The GXR is really excellent... still hoping that Ricoh/Pentax will think of some way of carrying the idea forward into the future. I really think if the GXR had had the M mount from the word go, it would have been more successful. The M module really made the point of having that kind of modularity. As others have said, in this day and age they could join the m4/3 alliance and build an m4/3 mount, maybe with built-in IS and focus peaking. I would buy that (just as I am tempted to buy an Olympus E-P5), because I already have the Ricoh EVF.

Anyway...

Tom

I would buy that (just as I am tempted to buy an Olympus E-P5), because I already have the Ricoh EVF.
Tom

Can I get clarification? Is the Ricoh gxr evf compatible w/ ep5 or are u saying that because if the Ricoh gxr experience, an ep5 w/ their evf is he way to go?

Gary

This is weird. It's the 17th of August 2019 and a thread from 2013 has resurfaced on the front page, but the post by Urban Alchemist seems to have disappeared.

If I was answering this poll as if it were now, I'd say to take the Ricoh GXR. The GF1 and G2 didn't have the image quality of the micro four thirds cameras of that time.

Back