Rolleinar?

Rolleinar 1 Bay 1 on a 124G, Tri-X in Fomadon LQN
(my first Rolleinar - after seeing samples above, I can see more in my future :))
U27021I1463496390.SEQ.1.jpg

U27021I1463496657.SEQ.0.jpg

The Rolleinar are diopters that correspond to their index or number:
Rolleinar 1 = 1 diopter, i.e. the infinity focus is shifted to 1/1 meter = 100 cm; the Rolleinar 2 is a 2 diopter lens, so the infinity focus point is shifted to 1/2 meter = 50 cm. And for the Rolleinar 3, infinity shifts to 1/ ... well, did you get the simple math? --- to 1/? meter (Solution 1/3 meter = 33 cm).

And since the Rolleis have a closest focus distance of 1 meter (= 1 diopter), the Rolleinar 1 will focus down to 1 + 1 diopter (Lens full extension plus Rolleinar 1 diopter addition) = 2 diopters or focusing from 1 m to 50 cm.
The Rolleinar 2 from 1/2 (50 cm) to 1/(2+1) = 1/3 meter= 33 cm (2 diopters from the Rolleinar 2 plus the 1 from lens board extension).

And the Rolleinar 3 from 1/3 m to 1/4 m = 25 cm.

Now you can also add two diopters such as the 1 and 2 to get object distances from the front of the lens between 1/(1+2) to 1/(1+1+2) meters or from 1/3 m = 33 cm to 1/4 m = 25 cm etc.

Diopter arithmetic is so simple! The prismas on the viewing lens will line up and there is much fun to be had here. Enjoy!

Minimal object distance from front of lens with all 3 Rolleinars is 1/(1+1+2+3) = 1/7 m = 14 cm. With an 8 cm (80 mm) lens that is almost a 1:1.6 reduction and produces an image of a size 9 by 9 cm square in reality on the MF film.

Hi! I'm new to that topic, but i was really impressed, that its some kind of an "official way" to combine the rolleinars. i did it experimentally/accidentially to come close to the look of pictures taken with 50mm 1,8f with distance rings. So how to combine the taking lenses is pretty obviouse, but how do you combine the viewing lenses? I did it (for two rolleinars (2 and 3) - the "newer" version without extra rolleipar) with a piece of tape, that works for 2 of them, but is there a clever way to combine three rolleinars? thanks a lot!

Hi,

I have a quick question re how the Rolleinar 2 affects the field of view in the viewfinder.

I've got a Rolleinar 2 set (the older three-part set) which I used with my Yashica Mat 124 G for the first time recently. The lenses worked a treat and focus / sharpness is spot on. However, when getting the negatives back I noticed that the field of view is wider than what I was seeing through the viewfinder - not hugely so, but enough that I've had to crop in on my photos to recover the original composition.

Is this something that occurs when using the Rolleinars on a Yashica Mat, or is there something I've done wrong?

Thanks.

Here are a couple of the results (these are cropped). Both on Portra 400, with one converted to B&W in Lightroom.

FILM - Melon by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Boots by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Hi FishyFish, I can't answer your question, but it might help to know if your 124G vf understates coverage without the Rolleinar?

Here's some recent Bay I Rolleinar 3 samples from my 124G, Fomapan 200 in Fomadon LQN. All full frame apart from the rectangular crop image:

med_U27021I1521297325.SEQ.3.jpg

med_U27021I1521297326.SEQ.4.jpg

U27021I1521297325.SEQ.2.jpg

Hi FishyFish, I can't answer your question, but it might help to know if your 124G vf understates coverage without the Rolleinar?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I don't think it's understating the coverage without the Rolleinar, but I've honestly not checked. The next roll I shoot I'll make a special effort to check though.

hi! I have a ROLLEIFLEX T TESSAR 75mm F/3.5 K8T2 and really want to try out the rolleinar. Can anyone recommend what type I need to get?

I just bought a Rolleinar 2 for my Yashica. It is the 3 separate parts version. I'm pretty sure I set this up correctly. The Red dot is aligned to the top

45224809064_9da8fc567e_c.jpg

45948780451_7e95a72734_c.jpg

45224809374_4390b6e47a_c.jpg

sooo anyone? and help with my previous post?

I think I have it set up wrong should it be smaller diopter then the bigger piece on the top lens?

and smaller on lower.

thanx!

sooo anyone? and help with my previous post?

I think I have it set up wrong should it be smaller diopter then the bigger piece on the top lens?

and smaller on lower.
Your setup shown on the pictures seems correct. The bigger unit (the one with the prism) should go on the viewing lens, with the red dot on top. On the older Rolleinars, like the one you have, this unit is in two parts: the prism (Rolleiparkeil) and the Rolleinar close-up lens (yours is a Rolleinar 2). On the newer Rolleinars, this unit is in one part.

The other Rolleinar lens (which should be identical to the top one) goes on the taking lens.

Why do you think you got it wrong? Are you unable to get sharp pictures?

Cheers!

Abbazz

First experiments with some 'new' Rolleinars. Really enjoyed shooting with them and found it a very seamless addition to the 2.8D. The parallax correction works better than expected.

The set I found included a 1 and 2, which I thought would be enough for most of my shooting. It looks like the 2 isn't really close enough for native orchids though (which are very tiny), so I suspect I'll be chasing a 3 soon...

Both with a Rolleiflex 2.8D and Portra400

Caladenia caudata (Tailed Spider Orchid) - Endemic and threatened | Waverley Flora Park
Rolleinar 2

Jan
Rolleinar 1

Nick, I have two Rolleinar-2s in Bay-1, so I tried stacking them (2 x Rolleinar-2, without prism) on both lenses (taking and viewing) of my Minolta Autocord. I have a Paradjuster for the Autocord, so I could set everything up through the viewing lens, then with the Paradjuster raise the taking lens into precise position. The results were actually pretty good - way better than I had expected.

There is no doubt that a Rolleinar 3 would be better, but you could try stacking your Rolleinar-2 and -1, to see what you get. My intuition suggests that the Rolleinar-2 should be mounted to the lens, with the -1 on top of it, but I don't know that for sure.

Of course, I'm more inclined to use a Mamiya TLR for close-up work, but the stacked Rolleinar-2s weren't bad.

- Murray

I've got the Bayonet 1 version of the 3 piece Rolleinar 1 that I use on my Rolleiflex T. It's a great accessory and the image quality is excellent

Back