Rolleinar?

Ey guys! I'm not sure but the correct Rolleinar for my 3.5F Xenotar is the Bay II one? With the rolleinar 2 i get two lenses? One for the viewving lens and one for the taking lens? How close with the Rolleinar 2 I can take the picture?

Thanks!

You've gotten it right with it being a Bay II filter.
Rolleinars tend to cover where the previous one leaves off.
From memory it should be something like
Rolleinar I = 1m-0.5m
Rolleinar II = 0.5m-0.3m
Rolleinar III = 0.3 - 0.1 (?)
Rolleinar IV = 0.1- (????)
(I could be wrong with the distances for the III and IV but they seem about that focusing distance)

Ow, I need a Rolleinar set for the Tele Rolleiflex that's coming my way... any type, just to get closer than 2.8 meters in focusing...

Great stuff on this page. I love the shots from Sandersnyc, way back when...

Got some selling and saving up to do ;)

Not a Rolleinar, but a set of Yashica Bay 1 close-up lenses on a Yahsica D:

7409281590_d02c72dd2f_o.jpg

Bay III Rolleinars are a bit spendy, I'll agree. But well worth it for what they do.

Here's a profile shot taken with a Rolleinar 2 -
No distortion here :)

chernkong-profile.jpg

The perspective distortion is there - simply by principle of being at that particular close distance to the subject. The optical quality of the close up lens does have nothing to do with this - it is simply law of optics. That is why the "beauty" portraits are taken with longer lenses (85-200mm on 35mm film equivalent), because they enable to shoot from further distance to the subject and getting more flattering perspective of the subjects face. :)

Ow, I need a Rolleinar set for the Tele Rolleiflex that's coming my way... any type, just to get closer than 2.8 meters in focusing...

Great stuff on this page. I love the shots from Sandersnyc, way back when...

Got some selling and saving up to do ;)
For versatility you might consider seeking a 0.35 or 0.7 first, simply because they get that minimum focus distance down from its normal 8 1/2 feet or so. You can fit standard Bay III Rolleinars as well (Sanders has made some great tight portraits with a 1 on top of a 0.35). But of course it depends on how close you want to get and how you like to shoot. Sanders is the guy to ask about portraiture with one.
Cheers,
Brett

They are very useful. They are very high quality, I wouldn't hesitate to save and buy them. They can be pricey, and can be cleaned easily.

Testing Plus-X in low light stopped down
Rolleiflex 75/3.5 Xenotar, f5.6, Rolleinar 2 (closeup), Kodak Plus-X (1992), Rodina; 1:100
17046890192_751810b7d0_b.jpg

I used to have a full set in Bay RI now with the Flex 3.5E I realize that RII is the worst mount to get stuff for. RIII is much easier to get (although already much pricier than RI). I only have a type 3 now which I don't need, I want type 1 which almost unavailable. I've been hunting for a while.

For the person that thinks perspective distortion in portraits is the worst thing since that Austrian maniac running Germany in the 30/40ies last century: look at photos with your eyes and heart first and then with your "knowledge" about photography. There are masterpieces out there taken with 28mm lenses or even wider.
Also I don't think that a 75/80mm in MF even with close-up attachment is terribly wide.

Last edited:
I finally got an RII Rolleinar 1 - now the collector in me wants the 2 to complete the set and the realist in me says sell the 3 you never need it (except for camera p0rn:)
Untitled by Kay K, on Flickr

Rolleinar 1 bayonet R2 (I actually thought I loaded Portra400 and deliberately underexposed, which is ok for that film, but there was Astia in the camera)

Untitled by Kay K, on Flickr

Some time back I bought a rolleinar from a guy on ebay. It turned out to be a +1 viewing lens and a +3 taking lens. He refunded my money, but did not want the rolleinars back, so no actual complaint.

However, when ever I try the finding lens I really wish I had the +1 taking lens. Any idea where I could find the taking lens, or better yet trade the +3 for a +1?

Some time back I bought a rolleinar from a guy on ebay. It turned out to be a +1 viewing lens and a +3 taking lens. He refunded my money, but did not want the rolleinars back, so no actual complaint.

However, when ever I try the finding lens I really wish I had the +1 taking lens. Any idea where I could find the taking lens, or better yet trade the +3 for a +1?

2 weeks ago there was one on German Ebay....might be gone

Back