rx1 vs m9 with 35 mm

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
8:57 PM
been thinking about selling my gear and going with an m9 and 35 mm lens...but then got to thinking about a used sony rx1... much the same thing, no? full frame, very small, excellent 35 mm lens attached...

thoughts?

love the lens on the sony...yummy good
Beautifully sharp, and creamy oof
GREAT Idea... its a Beautiful setup

though i am not sure about using the menu/settings, whether their simplistic or over complicated
and one final note: also with a fixed lens You will never suffer from GAS /lens lust and hopefully not dust on the sensor :rolleyes:

Both have excellent image output. Two completely different user experiences.
Neither is better than your fujis in low light. Maybe the RX1 resolves higher.
I love rangefinders.... The digital Leicas are always tempting.

Either choice would be a sideways move from your fujis.

is this Destiny or Fate
there is an RX1 in the classifieds...$1650.00... CANADIAN seller
Woohoooooo....the Universe is Talking ;)

If you are really able to just use a 35mm lens go for it... I did and I am very happy, the camera is well built and feels like a Leica. Like a lot of people say the AF is the only thing I have some problems with in low light and close up, but you can always go to manual focus with focus peaking. You have a more up to date sensor then a Leica and high iso is not a issue... I shot film M's until a few years ago weather I have a camera with my 35mm summicron or the Sony 35 Sonnar it's all the same, in fact I think the Sonnar beats the Summicron not by much but they are so close who cares.

With the Sony it's the package of the lens and the sensor that works so well.

wbill

For $1650 you can get a A7 with 35mm Zeiss Sonnar as well. However, if you are buying a M9 based on the call of a mechanical rangefinder / manual focus... nothing else will scratch that itch.

why am i thinking of changing?
the rf experience calls to me again for one, that started it all...the sony appeals because it is small, full frame and i like the lens on it...i know it's not an rf though and that might kill the idea for me in the end.
i could keep my gear, save for a cheaper rd1 and get a cv 35/2.5 and be happy as well.

Joe, If it is just an itch, the R-D1 would be good lowish cost option - I use mine (with a CV 35 2.5) when I get the RF itch and I am still blown away by the results.

Both have excellent image output. Two completely different user experiences.
Neither is better than your fujis in low light. Maybe the RX1 resolves higher.
I love rangefinders.... The digital Leicas are always tempting.

Either choice would be a sideways move from your fujis.

I would argue differently. The RX1 (and RX1R) sees in the dark. Literally. I never use flash. In so far as I do have to rely on the AF assist light at night and AF is slowed considerably, the files are amazing (as in stunningly) clean and look as if the have been shot with more than just any available, ambient light. I don't remember my Fuji experience being quite the same.

I have had the RX1 and now have an RX1R. They are amazing cameras - the sensor and resultant IQ is stunning and beg to be shot wide open. The bonus of having the FF sensor is that sometimes, if you get the variables right, your images will have a medium format quality to them. Something that Fuji's X-Trans sensor will never achieve.

Par example:

The menus are pretty simple.

Last edited:
I get it, Joe. Have you considered an X-Pro? Used bodies are cheap, and although not an RF, it's a lot closer user experience than the RX1. I got one used as an experiment, thinking it might satisfy my M9 itch. I've been really surprised how much I enjoy it. The OVF is such a treat and handling very RF-like. Not much of a departure image quality-wise, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

John

absolutely agree with chris black. iso 6400 is no problem for the rx1. in a subjective world, it objectively outresolves the m9 at every iso and reaches way past it in low light. and its leaf shutter is dead silent.

of course, thats not the end of the analysis. the m9 has lots to speak for it, including the RF experience, simple menus, unique ccd look etc etc etc.

what i did is look for a great deal on the rx1/vf/RRS grip. i then got a nice rd1 for my rf glass and to get that 'rf shootin' feelin''. and i still saved a grand over the m9. if 6mp just won't do it for you, you can still add on an m8 for a total price less than a single m9.

The RX1 is a phenomenal camera. I sold mine recently and I definitely miss it. It's built like a tank, the lens is superb in sharpness and rendering, and the files from it are more impressive than any camera I've shot except possibly the D800 for pure resolution. In short, it's a fantastic camera and I heartily recommend it to people that like a 35mm FOV and don't mind the Sony UI.

All that said... if you want a rangefinder, the RX1 just isn't going to scratch that itch, as jsrockit put it. As with the A7, I find Sony makes great technical tools with 'engineer UI'. They make wonderful images and are great functional tools, but it's nothing like the experience of shooting with my M6.

If I were ONLY going to shoot 35mm FOV then I'd buy an RX1 again in a heartbeat... but if I really wanted a rangefinder, an M with a 35mm lens would be where my money goes. Hint: I sold my RX1 and I bought an M :D

I get it, Joe. Have you considered an X-Pro? Used bodies are cheap, and although not an RF, it's a lot closer user experience than the RX1. I got one used as an experiment, thinking it might satisfy my M9 itch. I've been really surprised how much I enjoy it. The OVF is such a treat and handling very RF-like. Not much of a departure image quality-wise, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

John

i stated with an xpro1 and liked it...but wound up with a second xe1 as i rarely used the ovf of the xpro...

maybe i should just go for a walk with an xe1 and the 23 and clear my head...

I would argue differently. The RX1 (and RX1R) sees in the dark. Literally. I never use flash. In so far as I do have to rely on the AF assist light at night and AF is slowed considerably, the files are amazing (as in stunningly) clean and look as if the have been shot with more than just any available, ambient light. I don't remember my Fuji experience being quite the same.

Par example:

Well, the Fuji's do work well in low light high ISO wise (AF is another thing)... up to 6400 as well. However, no one can deny the sharpness of that Sony photo at 6400... very nice. I'm not a stickler for sharpness, but it is a beautiful image.

Well, the Fuji's do work well in low light high ISO wise (AF is another thing)... up to 6400 as well. However, no one can deny the sharpness of that Sony photo at 6400... very nice. I'm not a stickler for sharpness, but it is a beautiful image.

Why thank you sir *doffs cap*, however, this image isn't at 6400 - the ISO in this example is 100. I was just blessed with some beautiful light on that particular day...

If u got a drf itch..Joe, it would be hard to satisfy it w/ a rx1 though...unless the manual focus using an rf mechanism is really not what u are after..but some other aspect of this..

A rx1 will give u a bit more interesting dof and has faster af than the xe 1s u use, but the new x100t might be a better option for a dedicated 35fov look that has fast af.. But if that other aspect u are after is a different dof look, then the rx1, m9 or the a7 could be option.

Gary

Last edited:
Back