s.u.i. - shooting under the influence

Nice thread.
I like taking photos when i'm drunk enough to not care who or what i'm taking photos of anymore but still sober enough not to fall over while doing it. this one was taken on a festival some years ago - still like it...

Untitled by NeeZee102, on Flickr

I agree with Roger. Shooting with a "glow" is great fun (a couple of drinks) and can yield good results. Shooting while drunk results in a lot of crap (for me, at least).

That said, I like shooting at breweries/bars. Here's a few:

522007_10151228748626150_801410887_n.jpg

580573_10151228748681150_727738160_n.jpg

486424_10151289613731150_1096789241_n.jpg

I don't do it often, although this shot was taken after tasting Absinthe for the first time...

145878600.jpg

I'd had a few so I'd loaded Acros instead of Neopan 400 (on purpose) so I pushed it to 800

I love shooting drunk! Mostly for private stuff, nothing I'd throw at a broader audience as my "work".
I also dropped one camera on a NYE party .. a Revue rangefinder of not much value. It was kinda still functional (not really but enough) and gave me some useful pics even after the drop.
I have nothing online right now, will search for something post-able later.

I don't do it, and can't understand why anyone would.

I will say this: Walking around glassy-eyed and smelling like a distillery while snapping pictures of strangers will do more to harm the cause of street photography than a hundred Bruce Gildens firing flash guns in the faces of their fellow city-dwellers.

I will say this: Walking around glassy-eyed and smelling like a distillery while snapping pictures of strangers will do more to harm the cause of street photography than a hundred Bruce Gildens firing flash guns in the faces of their fellow city-dwellers.

No one said completely wasted .. tipsy or a little bit more than that. (ok when I dropped my Revue I was a bit further down that alley)
Also I mostly shoot people I know when I'm in such a situation.

Isn't this a tiny bit on the po-faced side? First, there's "glassy-eyed and smelling like a distillery". Most people can hold a few drinks without this happening. Second, why does it have to be "snapping pictures of strangers"? Third, I'd have thought that most people would put up with an amiable drunk more easily than with an aggressive stone cold sober jerk firing a flash in their face. Attached: Bristol Arts Centre Bar in the 1970s, Nikon F, HP5 and Polish hat dance, about 2007, M8. No-one is likely to approach the Polish hat dance entirely sober.

Cheers,

R.

Attachments

• Bristol Arts Centre bar.jpg
    Bristol Arts Centre bar.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • polish hat dance.JPG
    polish hat dance.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Back during my drinking days if I had carried a camera with me I'd have lost it for sure. Now my drink of choice is coffee. I think my camera is pretty safe with me.;)

I must confess, that even if I was born in the land that invented the vodka ( according to us, Poles of course ), I emigrated while still young to the south (Italy), where I embraced the wine drinking philosophy. As a consequence, I only got drunk once in my life - having been treated by some villagers near Pescara with their home made wine, which only subsequently has turned out to be almost 16% strong...
Perhaps this has undercut my artistic expression somewhat, but I still find myself enthralled enough, just by making the photos, while everybody else has fun...

20120102 by mfogiel, on Flickr

"especially when playing the drums in jazz bands"
- thumbs up Simon ! That's my favourite music...

What more can I say?

9634886456_a12a14c5c1_c.jpg

Can I just point out the purple Holga in the room here? <insert smiley icon face here>

I've done my fair share of shooting while under the influence. It's had both positive and negative effects. I've gotten keepers that would have otherwise eluded me. Some of these are among the images that I'm most proud of. I've also shot one heck of a lot of out-of-focus, poorly framed crap that flatters no one - myself or my subjects. Those never see the light of day.

Is it useful? Is it worth it? For the keepers, yes! For the rest, well, as with so many things there are no absolutes.

Back