Sad News--Roger Hicks

So sorry to hear that Frances passed away. I greatly appreciated Roger's wit and willingness to share his knowledge, and I learned a great deal from their photo books and online articles.

What sad news, Rest in Peace to the both of them. I had a few passing conversations with Roger about various film related things. I loved seeing Frances' hand coloured prints.

They even offered to put me up if I ended up nearby when I was about to go travelling in 2018, I really wish I had now.

I hope the website stays up, I always keep coming back to read it.

I haven't logged in to the forum in quite some time as I've been away from photography in general for a while and this was the first thing I saw when I logged in. Roger was always a gentleman in the conversations I had with him and I learned a ton from him.

RIP, Roger, you'll be missed.

EDIT: Didn't realize Frances had passed away as well. Sad news.

Last edited:
It appears there is more than one of us who has been away for while and returned to find this sad news. I'll now treasure my books from Roger and Frances all the more now.

Reactions: dct
I miss you, Roger. Always you were courtly to this little old Italian photojourno when we met in Arles. We are devastated, but you and Frances are together now. Forever.

A presto, mia cara,

Mme. O

I just saw an old post by Roger on another forum and went to a linked article and was surprised that the web site: https://www.rogerandfrances.com/ is not only still live, but seems to be being curated/maintained by someone as the copyright on the homepage is 2021. Roger passed in 2019 and Frances in late 2020 I believe.

Does anyone know who is maintaining the web site?

The website has been redesigned to a more modern look albeit with less content than before. There is no in-depth info or bio information about them (as far as I can see) on the web site, nor pointers to their published writings. Curious...

I just saw an old post by Roger on another forum and went to a linked article and was surprised that the web site: https://www.rogerandfrances.com/ is not only still live, but seems to be being curated/maintained by someone as the copyright on the homepage is 2021. Roger passed in 2019 and Frances in late 2020 I believe.

Does anyone know who is maintaining the web site?

The website has been redesigned to a more modern look albeit with less content then before. There is no in-depth info or bio information about them (as far as I can see) on the web site, nor pointers to their published writings. Curious...

Looks like two pages with links to 10 articles. Maybe I am missing a navigation button.

I am the one who wrote the original post starting this thread about Roger's final illness. I have a number of Roger and Frances's books on my shelf as well as a collection of old magazines with their articles in them. The great thing is that whenever I pick up one of their books or articles and start reading Roger comes roaring back to life! His writing and personality are so intertwined and it makes reading his work a real pleasure for me. He may be gone, but his wit and intellect blaze through his writing. I find this comforting.

Steve Rosenblum

It is always a sad reminder that Roger is not among us any more. It was a privilege to converse with him. His example lives on in his words, here and elsewhere.

Thought I’d gotten rid of the itch to expose film via repeated application of M Monochrom, but like the heartbreak of psoriasis it came back over the winter ;-) (Current topical treatments include Mamiya 6, Minolta Alpha 7, OM4Ti, and even Rollei QZ35.)

Good thing I still have the Roger & Frances book on BW photography for review (though PS kudos to Chris Crawford for keeping his technical pages available by iPhone).

And, as noted, for Roger’s prose which is always a joy, for more than nearly anyone associated with RFF, he knew how to invest his writing with the cadences of his voice and of his formidable intelligence.

I never meet him in person, but connected here. Because had similarities in our value system. Roger was not welcomed by woke people for his honest opinion and calling things as they are from common sense, not doctrine narratives.

hmm. I just never stopped shooting film. Perhaps not in the volumes I did before there was digital, but it's been a continuum.
Film remains a unique and enjoyable way to do photography, just as it always was. :)

I didn't have the pleasure of getting to know Roger or Frances other than a note here or there.

G

Back