Safe buying anything from Russia at the moment?

The option has always been laid on the table: someone say it once, that Ukraine is not to join NATO (it's not going to be accepted anyway, given the mess it already brought). In reality it's just no one dare to say so as well, it admits defeat.

Sadly it now has to depend on the outcome of the war. I personally believe eventually it'll all go back to the negotiation table, after bodies have piled - from which no one emerges clean. No, Russia or the Putin regime is not going to collapse.

Anyway, time will tell.

no, the demand was Ukraine does not join NATO. This was #1. Then #2 the NATO goes back to 1997 borders. #3 all NATO military support goes out of Eastern Europe. You know what does it mean? Putin does Crimea to all the Eastern Europe. He wants his empire back. Georgia was not NATO, Moldova was not NATO. What happened? Two wars in Chechnya, North Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria, Crimea, Ukraine… not to mention Syria. And he wants NATO out of Baltics? Because he is insecure?
But this time he did a big mistake. He thought the West will do nothing because of his oil and gas. He planned to take Kiiv in 3 days. He is doomed.The Russian economy is crashing and his military can only bomb civilians but has no real military victories. This is new Afghanistan for them. The beginning of the end.

As the OP resides in Baja California, and Mexico hasn't imposed sanctions against Russia or Belarus, it may still be possible for him to purchase goods from those regions. As for Ukraine, better contact the seller before you click "Buy it now"

Sanctions, IMO, is really the option to pick when you do not want to seriously commit. And I don't see people are willing to commit seriously. Joe Biden really shouldn't have offered Putin clear guarantee that the US will NEVER intervene militarily under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (and to repeat it on many occasions). Good grief, given how determined the Russians seem to be on solving the "problem" once and for all, it's nothing but an invitation letter; but if he didn't, imagine the resistance he'd face domestically in the eve of pulling America into another war over a non-NATO state, this time with a major nuclear power...

I wouldn't blame ole Joe. Not certain he says anything anymore that isn't in a script written for him by his Progressivista handlers. Aside from choosing the flavor of pudding at dinner, not sure his cognition allows for complex decisions anymore. And his judgement--when he was intact--, was questionable (Hunter's "10% for the Big Guy"). Perfect storm for the benefit of Russia, Iran and China; not so much for smaller nations whose survival was predicated on durable American guarantees and European vigilance on its own borders.

The narrative of Ukrainian resistance is comforting to the Media looking for stories to sell but the map tells a different story: a slow but methodical capture of towns and cities along the Black Sea coast and pincers converging on Kyiv/Kiev. Wish it were otherwise. Vlad has $650 billion tucked away for this little enterprise and the backlash, while crypto currency trading provides the conduit for oil sales to the less scrupulous, aka, the PRC and India.

Oh well.

...not so much for smaller nations whose survival was predicated on durable American guarantees and European vigilance on its own borders....

in Eastern Europe (and especially Baltics) we are not so naïve. After WWII our grand dads waited for US liberation from Soviets and fought till early 50-thies. My grand dad lost his life fighting NKVD... So we were telling this would happen, but Western Europe were complacent and telling us we were hysterical about Russia. So we know we need the solid defense and it has to be on the European level.

The narrative of Ukrainian resistance is comforting to the Media looking for stories to sell but the map tells a different story of a slow but methodical capture of towns and cities along the Black Sea coast and pincers converging on Kyiv/Kiev. Wish it were otherwise. Vlad has $650 billion tucked away for this little enterprise and the backlash, while crypto currency trading provides the conduit for oil sales to the less scrupulous, aka, the PRC and India.

Oh well.

I am actually not sure. Half of this 650 billion are now frozen. They cannot buy technology (needed for the military) and their current state of affairs in the military seems to be much worse than they boosted about. They can't even counter those Turkish drones that Ukrainians are using. All the fancy Russian stuff seem to be only on YouTube. Yes, they have numbers, but the morale is very very low. One can occupy some territory (but not the whole Ukraine), but what they gonna do? Maintaining it would mean using most of their military resource, minimizing it in other places. I predict another Afghanistan - long and bloody fight which cannot be won.
And as to other oil/gas buyers... Yes, PRC, do you know what they pay? And what they will pay when they have the bargaining power? It's a bit of the protection for Russia, but not a sustainable solution.

in Eastern Europe (and especially Baltics) we are not so naïve. After WWII our grand dads waited for US liberation from Soviets and fought till early 50-thies. My grand dad lost his life fighting NKVD... So we were telling this would happen, but Western Europe were complacent and telling us we were hysterical about Russia. So we know we need the solid defense and it has to be on the European level.

My father spent the war years in the Soviet Union after fleeing there, dodging the NKVD, drafted into the army and surviving by pure luck. British and French guarantees amounted to nothing more than words and dead relatives. And after the war, capitulation to Stalin cemented the betrayal (hello Joe Biden &Co., try to remember this when surrendering to the Ayatollahs). Wouldn't count on the Franco-Germans; if they were serious, 5 infantry & armor divisions would be permanently stationed along the border from the Baltic through the Carpathian down to the Black Sea.

I am actually not sure. Half of this 650 billion are now frozen. They cannot buy technology (needed for the military) and their current state of affairs in the military seems to be much worse than they boosted about. They can't even counter those Turkish drones that Ukrainians are using. All the fancy Russian stuff seem to be only on YouTube. Yes, they have numbers, but the morale is very very low. One can occupy some territory (but not the whole Ukraine), but what they gonna do? Maintaining it would mean using most of their military resource, minimizing it in other places. I predict another Afghanistan - long and bloody fight which cannot be won.

Hope you're right.

Just to put a photographic spin on things…

I saw a YouTube video today apparently of a missile shooting down a Russian helicopter. Some comments praised the courage of the Ukrainians fighting back and their ability to still damage the Russian forces; others said that it’s tragic for both sides: innocent civilians being thrust into war and young Russian soldiers, also with wives and families, dying from the orders of power-hungry elite political rulers who won’t suffer the horrors of war.

At least one commenter, ostensibly experienced in video, described how he thought the whole video was fake - how the video seemed to start with the helicopter centered at mid frame immediately before the hit, among several other things. Looking at it, looking at the trail of fire and smoke, I think it is a very elaborate fake. I’m sure there are plenty of instances where Ukrainians have brought down Russian aircraft as well as destroying tanks, but it seems to me this video is fake.

Independent of this, independent of the war, technology and the use of photographic manipulation has progressed far enough to create these believable so-called “deep fake” videos to sway or convince people of things which are not true.

Been waiting on an Industar-22 since the end of January. I think it was returned to the Seller, because he shipped it out again in late february...I doubt it'll get here any time soon, now. With sanctions wreaking havoc on transportation from, to and across Russia.

It actually arrived an hour after I posted this.

The Russian Sellers on Ebay are basically not permitted to sell to most places on the planet.

Item location: Barnaul, Altaiskii kray, Russian Federation

Shipping to: Worldwide

Excludes: Aruba, Afghanistan, Angola, Anguilla, Albania, Andorra, Netherlands Antilles, United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Armenia, American Samoa, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan Republic, Burundi, Belgium, Benin, Burkina Faso, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Bahrain, Bahamas, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Barbados, Brunei Darussalam, Bhutan, Botswana, Central African Republic, Canada, Switzerland, Chile, China, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Cameroon, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Republic of the, Cook Islands, Colombia, Comoros, Cape Verde Islands, Costa Rica, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Djibouti, Dominica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Algeria, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Western Sahara, Spain, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, Fiji, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), France, Micronesia, Gabon Republic, United Kingdom, Georgia, Guernsey, Ghana, Gibraltar, Guinea, Guadeloupe, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Greece, Grenada, Greenland, Guatemala, French Guiana, Guam, Guyana, Hong Kong, Honduras, Croatia, Republic of, Haiti, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Ireland, Iraq, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jersey, Jordan, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Cambodia, Kiribati, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Korea, South, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Saint Lucia, Liechtenstein, Sri Lanka, Lesotho, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Macau, Morocco, Monaco, Moldova, Madagascar, Maldives, Mexico, Marshall Islands, Macedonia, Mali, Malta, Montenegro, Mongolia, Mozambique, Mauritania, Montserrat, Martinique, Mauritius, Malawi, Malaysia, Mayotte, Namibia, New Caledonia, Niger, Nigeria, Nicaragua, Niue, Netherlands, Norway, Nepal, Nauru, New Zealand, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Puerto Rico, Portugal, Paraguay, French Polynesia, Qatar, Reunion, Romania, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, Saint Helena, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Solomon Islands, Sierra Leone, El Salvador, San Marino, Somalia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Serbia, Suriname, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Swaziland, Seychelles, Turks and Caicos Islands, Chad, Togo, Thailand, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Tuvalu, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ukraine, Uruguay, United States, Uzbekistan, Vatican City State, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela, British Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands (U.S.), Vietnam, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Yemen, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Africa, Americas, Antarctic Region, Arctic Region, Asia, Australian Continent, Central America and Caribbean, European Union, Europe, Greater China, Middle East, North America, Oceania, APO/FPO, Rest of Asia, South America, Southeast Asia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, French Polynesia

SO- Russian Sellers on Ebay can pay listing fees and sell to other Russians. The exclusion zones appear on all Russian listings.

As the OP resides in Baja California, and Mexico hasn't imposed sanctions against Russia or Belarus, it may still be possible for him to purchase goods from those regions. As for Ukraine, better contact the seller before you click "Buy it now"

Yeah I live just the other side of the border with USA. And yes, Mexico has not joined any of the imposed sactions. It seems to me my country is being too lukewarm about this, but then again, I disagree with most of my goverment decision of late so no big surprise to me.

For the time being, I'm doing my purchase to other european countries, like Moldavia and Poland. Those guys are getting hit badly by the war as well, if not military at least economically.

Marcelo

I’ll happily purchase items from Russia and in fact spent $65 today, with approximately $24 going to Russia. Of course I meant gasoline, the sanctions have only increased their profits (with taxes (mostly) and transportation accounting for the rest of the difference.)

Furthermore I’d happily swap our inept “leaders” for someone who would actually make life better. Someone like Putin who who managed to increase the income and buying power of average Russians tenfold during his administration.

Dare I strongly suggest we not buy anything from Russia or Russians for the time being, as a gesture of solidarity to the desperate people of Ukraine who are being terrorised and killed by the mad despot from Moscow.

Like so many others I hold the hope that a time will come in the future when the Russians will resolve the big problems in their country's leadership. This insane war has gone on for too long and far too many are dying - this is not a time to be thinking about bargain hunting for Russian photo gear!!

Most respectfully submitted.

People in the US have been buying these cameras for long enough that they have begun to turn up in the local used market even from Ebay sellers like Kehoutlet and Robertscamera, I have found a number of bargains that way recently including a a Zorkii 3m ($44) and a Kiev III ($25).

Was browsing the bay and saw a couple of itemst that catch my eye (some kiev cameras and lenses) but since they are on the Russian Federation, probably wise to stay away for the time being.

Do anyone know if shippping FROM Russia is stopped/paused at the moment?

of course shipping works. It goes by land surface between Russia and some european countries.
I bought some items in the las year, have not kept all tracking numbers, but in my main home folder there's still an old one, from april/may last year: CL047323715RU
tracking (for instance ALT-I-ETT PAKKESPORING | 17TRACK shows its went to Kazanskaya railway station postal facility, then left to Poland, from there Germany then finally here in Norway.
Shipping time was long, 3 weeks. Some further parcel in autumn was faster, like two weeks. Anyway much longer than before, where it was max one week.

the point is not shipment, the point is that you must think as per the new scheme. Russia is on a different system and will probably not reconnect with the NATO countries. Different banking system and commercial ecosystem.
The main source for searching soviet photographic stuff would be the russian second hand listings:
https://www.avito.ru/
and you need a payment system , ie a MIR card. Just to illustrate with real case, here in that shot I hold my MIR card at Tinkoff in front of the display were I am typing now this answer to your question:

mir.jpg

Buying on Avito is not always working because some sellers don't want to bother with going to a post office spend time in order to fill the mandatory customs declaration, but are used to the convenient partners delivery services collect/drop. Otherwise nothing special.

I used to buy from Avito since long anyway, because it broadens the availability of items and because it's cheaper. Ebay applies the VAT regulation/charge of the receiving country, so in my case it is +25% (of the total price: item+shipment cost). On Avito you ask the seller to declare the item as "gift".

that said in order to get a russian bank account for payment you need to be in Russia. I'm a very long time traveler to Russia, have spend too expensive periods of time at different places, it's just around the corner.
Of course for people who are not in neighbouring countries that's an issue.

there is at least one forwarding service still working, they can buy for you also or you can just use a russian address at their office, but their rates have become very expensive, not worth for small value items. You'll find them online easily. There are russian citizens with permanent residency in EU lands, so they can work as a bridge, that's why such service works.

Otherwise, there are probably some Ebay sellers in the Baltics (Estonia mostly) and in Kazakhstan who may keep getting their items from Russia. So if you are interesting in some item not available on their list, you could ask if it they can get it. So they pick it next time they are in SPb (or Chelyabinsk, Omsk). But prices will be more expensive.

Why buy from Russia or do business with them? Russia need foreign currencies to finance its war. Russia is under international trade restrictions.

But some companies do business anyway, sometimes through third countries. I was very sorry today when I read that Leica optical division supply optics to the Russian army:

"After Russia invaded Ukraine, German camera manufacturer Leica Camera AG announced that it would stop shipping its goods into the country and close its company store in Moscow. Contrary to its promise, the company not only continued its deliveries, but also began exporting laser rangefinder binoculars and night vision scopes. Laser rangefinders and levels from the Swiss company Leica Geosystems are also making their way into Russia, albeit through third countries. The equipment may have military applications, such as the correction of artillery fire."
(source:Leica supplies binoculars and rifle scopes to Russia after invasion of Ukraine, despite withdrawal announcement)

I hope Leica stop this immediately, otherwise they will loose me as a customer.

Why buy from Russia or do business with them? Russia need foreign currencies to finance its war. Russia is under international trade restrictions.

there is no reason to no buy items in Russia. There is no "international trade restrictions". Trade is done with banking systems and there is no world banking system. There is no world government. In practice main payment systems are: Visa/Mastercard, UnionPay, RuPay, MIR and a couple minor ones. So it's about availability and access to one system from another one. These systems are going to growth apart because everybody was shocked by USA/EU seizure of russian central bank reserves in $/€ and of rich russians living abroad, which means "Westerners" will do the same to anyone, so this does speed growth and bridging of the other banking ecosystems.
All this doesn't affect much the amateur photograph, excepted maybe the price of film and chemicals, depending how much raw chemicals and manufacturing happens outside Western realm. For instance part of Kodak products are manufactured in China and some japanese (Fuji) too.
One of the main manufacturer of C41 chemical kits, among others the Tetenal kits, was a german plant. They shut down recently. I don't know why and if increase in energy caused by Germany switching from cheap russian gas to expensive american LNG shale gas played a role.

there is no reason to no buy items in Russia. There is no "international trade restrictions". Trade is done with banking systems and there is no world banking system. There is no world government. In practice main payment systems are: Visa/Mastercard, UnionPay, RuPay, MIR and a couple minor ones. So it's about availability and access to one system from another one. These systems are going to growth apart because everybody was shocked by USA/EU seizure of russian central bank reserves in $/€ and of rich russians living abroad, which means "Westerners" will do the same to anyone, so this does speed growth and bridging of the other banking ecosystems.
All this doesn't affect much the amateur photograph, excepted maybe the price of film and chemicals, depending how much raw chemicals and manufacturing happens outside Western realm. For instance part of Kodak products are manufactured in China and some japanese (Fuji) too.
One of the main manufacturer of C41 chemical kits, among others the Tetenal kits, was a german plant. They shut down recently. I don't know why and if increase in energy caused by Germany switching from cheap russian gas to expensive american LNG shale gas played a role.

This is correct, there are no trade restriction other than payment systems and insurance. When it comes to sanctions, the only authority that can legally impose sanctions is the UN. The sanctions against Russia are illegal by international agreements and only supported by western countries representing 15% of the global population. The remaing countries representing 85% of the global population do not sanction Russia, but they suffer from it economically. So do the countries that have imposed these sanctions, especially Europe. Germany is facing de-industrialization due to the fact that they have to pay 4 to 8 times more for american LNG than they used to pay for Russian gas. After the western theft of Russian assets abroad the dollar is now seen as toxic in international trade and the use of national currencies is rising rapidly. Saudi-Arabia now sells oil to China in Yuan.

I find it hard to regard Russia the aggrieved party. They have invaded and occupied a country in flagrant defiance of international norms. To ignore this is dangerous. For if the Russians can get away with this in Ukraine (a Sudetenland for them) they will be emboldened. What course to follow in dealing with individual Russian citizens is thorny. They are not to blame and some do not support the "special operation" as the war is called in Russia. I would find it much more difficult to deal with Russians at this time than Ukrainians. I have bought a few KMZ lenses from Ukraine with no problems in payment or shipping.

Russian behavior in Ukraine is abominable. Other than Russian satellites I know no one supporting Putin, and for good reason. I know some Russians out here from St. Petersburg. They are not happy with Putin so it is not just my own narrow nationalism. The politics are inescapable in this unfortunately. If you have a conscience.

So while I bear the Russians no ill will I do bear ill will towards the war being prosecuted in their name. On that basis I will avoid transactions with Russians until Putin sues for peace and withdraws back across the border to Russia. That's my position, and as usual YMMV.

Back