Sandisk 8GByte Extreme Pro: will not work with my EP-2, CX-1, or WIN7 machine.

Yup. This pure-crap waste of Silicon and Plastic does not work in the Olympus EP-2. I get "Card Error".

This pure piece of CRAP was never in a Leica.

Worth $35 to determine that the problem is not with the Leica M9? Not really, but at least when I read someone blaming Leica because they stuck a piece of pure crap into it to record their pictures without testing the combination first, i can send them this card for a backup.

Dear Brian,

So... The verdict is very heavily qualified approval?

Nah... You and I must be mistaken. Everyone knows that Leica is uniquely to blame for the fall of the dollar, global warming and the coming of the Antichrist. Couldn't be Sandisk!

Cheers,

R.

Back in my Z80 days, I just used to write my own Subroutines for doing direct-access read/write, head-seeks and the like, all Physical-Layer I/O on the disk drives. Wrote my own SCSI drivers. Did Physical-Layer QIO's on the VAX 11/780 because nothing else was fast enough on an RP07.

I can't believe that any company would sell a card that is this screwed up.

Wow Brian, that is amazing. I would shelve it and send Sandisk a letter that the replacement didn't solve anything. They should get you some regular non UHS-1 Class 10 cards until they fix or sort that card out.

I have 2 Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s and 2 Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s 8GB SDHC cards and have had no problems associated with my M9 camera.

FWIW.

I've heard that older cards work, and a rev level caused problems.

A lot of people have had problems with the UHS-1 card in the Leica M9.

I'm going to wait a few months and send this one back, running on the theory that it is a rev level problem.

Whether or not the card works in a Leica M9, not being able to format it with the software from the organization that sets the standards for SD cards indicates a major design flaw. I used the latest Sandisk card adapter on my computer, so the adapter hardware cannot be blamed.

PM your address to me, and I will send you this one.

If this card were built to the proper standard for SD cards, it should not have had a problem being formatted with SDFORMAT. Being able to Format a memory card with a computer is a reasonable thing to expect. Otherwise, using the card is Roulette.

Had similar issues w/ the 32GB Sandisk extreme CF card.
Worked and worked, swapped cameras one day - and then no longer works in any canon camera (1ds, 1dsm2, 5dm2) - still reads on a windows 7 pc, but formatting gives it odd sizes.

As you can imagine, for the cash outlayed, incredibly frustrating..

So I still have the replacement Sandisk card, which is completely useless after formatting with the SDCARD.ORG utility.

I was going to wait a bit and send it in.

But Sandisk sent me these Emails:

------------------------------
Dear Brian,

We have verified your warranty return, the estimated ship date for your replacement will be 10/26/2011. You will be notified with tracking information once your product ships.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
RMA Coordinator
SanDisk
Technical Support

--------------------------------------

And Today,

Dear Brian,

A check of our records indicates that your replacement product has been shipped by SanDisk on 11/03/2011. You can track your package at http://www.ups.com using your Tracking#xxxxxxxxxxxx

----------------------------------

Well, something is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. I am not going to do anything but try it in the EP2.

Turns out the Email was a mistake, and the tracking number showed a replacement card going to someone in California. I am in Virginia.

I suspect that SanDisk keeps their RMA records on the defective memory cards that get returned to them.

I will get another RMA on the defective card that they sent me to replace my original defective card. Neither was ever in a Leica M9. The replacement defective card was never used in anything but a Sandisk card reader.

I'm sure that the technical support staff at Sandisk will use it to store their records.

Leica

Leica

Didn't they say they were going to get to the bottom of the issue a couple of months back?

Turns out the Email was a mistake, and the tracking number showed a replacement card going to someone in California. I am in Virginia.

I suspect that SanDisk keeps their RMA records on the defective memory cards that get returned to them.

I will get another RMA on the defective card that they sent me to replace my original defective card. Neither was ever in a Leica M9. The replacement defective card was never used in anything but a Sandisk card reader.

I'm sure that the technical support staff at Sandisk will use it to store their records.

Even with the latest M9 firmware release, specifically addresses SD errors- Leica advises not to use the Sandisk UHS-1 cards.

Sandisk needs to get to the bottom of this problem. If their own SDcard cannot be used in the latest Sandisk reader, not sure how much compatibility testing is done with these products.

A further problem is that they don't want to honor their warranty. I had one that failed and the data had to be retrieved by the company they recommend – for $175. But then they refused to refund or to replace the card with one of a class that will work in M9, saying Leica is planning another firmware release just for their cards. :bang:

Kirk

I just started the RMA process on the replacement card.

I never used it in anything but their Imagemate card reader, with an HP Pavillion Gseries laptop running Win7. Their older cards and the PNY cards work with it, can be formatted with the SDCARD.ORG format utility.

I will keep going through the RMA process until they send me a card that can be used in something.

There is no chance that the card is counterfeit as it is straight from Sandisk. I've used their memory cards since 1995. This is the worst screw-up i have ever seen, and I remember ECC codes in mainframe memory that did not work properly and the introduction of scrambling patterns that caused optical networks to crash. okay. Maybe the latter was worse than this.

Back