Sandisk 8GByte Extreme Pro: will not work with my EP-2, CX-1, or WIN7 machine.

Okay, have to admit I'm more interested in why the card fails so badly. When (if?) Sandisk sends a replacement I will try in the new Sandisk reader that I just bought with the SDCARD.ORG format program. Try it in the Olympus EP2 after that.

I've been using solid state memory cards for 16 years now. I still use some PCMCIA cards that are 15 years old. I've never seen anything fail like this one.

Honestly, Dave, all of these failures can always be traced to human error.

WooHoo! Started on Sunday, got an RMA number generated 5 days later, NOW they will review the claim and decide whether or not to take it back!

Dear Brian,

We have received your Return Merchandise Authorization request and it is currently being reviewed. Please allow 2 working days for processing. Updates or responses will be sent directly to your email address.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk's products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/forums to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
RMA Coordinator
SanDisk
Technical Support

Kingston

Kingston

Have had two Kingston cards fail right away, so did not lose much, after a bit of bitching they replaced one, I tossed the other, not worth the time to argue with them.

Just don't trust them.

Card said it needed to be formatted, then it would not take data.

Would like to see a dual card system from Leica, bit late for the M9. ;-)

Regards, John

...Would like to see a dual card system from Leica, bit late for the M9. ;-)
Regards, John
Twin SD cards for the M9 would have been good. Not too late for the Leica S2, however, which can use CF and SD cards simultaneously. :angel:

I expect my replacement card to be directly from Sandisk, and the corrupt card was purchased from a camera shop featured on the Sandisk website.

I will put the replacement card through some paces, and there will be no chance that it is counterfeit.

If this wider problem is due to counterfeit cards, then both Sandisk and Leica have been blamed for something beyond their control.

I would NOT buy memory cards from Ebay.

I expect my replacement card to be directly from Sandisk

In this day and age of executives' bonuses' driven need to "outsource", I wouldn't be surprised if there were some obfuscation somewhere along the delivery chain. Meaning, that their Customer Care office (like many Customer Care centers for most too-big-to-know-who-works-in-what-department-one-year-after-another), after receiving and processing all the paperwork (and getting all the bureaucratic process properly double-carbon-copied and right-corner stamped with that seal no not that one the other one send it back) would just "press the button" and have the replacement card sent from a "delivery chain cloud", making it prone for you to get just another one like it.

But then again, I've been called weird (well, worse) about thinking such outrageous (based-on-personal-experience) possibilities.

So the Saga continues, the new SD card has not arrived yet. I checked the RMA thinking that maybe the card was lost in the return- but is is shown as being received on August 19th. The "Estimated Ship Date" has not been set yet, so SanDisk has not sent the replacement and gives no indication when it will be shipped.

I was not expecting this to drag on for so long. We are talking about a $35 memory card. Makes me think there is a design flaw in the card, and they are waiting to resolve the problem and revise the card.

So the Saga continues, the new SD card has not arrived yet. I checked the RMA thinking that maybe the card was lost in the return- but is is shown as being received on August 19th. The "Estimated Ship Date" has not been set yet, so SanDisk has not sent the replacement and gives no indication when it will be shipped.

I was not expecting this to drag on for so long. We are talking about a $35 memory card. Makes me think there is a design flaw in the card, and they are waiting to resolve the problem and revise the card.

I seriously doubt they're that dedicated. If they were, they'd tell you that's what they're doing. This is not only done to discourage "complaining" about a dud, but as you put it, it's a $35 memory card. I wouldn't be surprised they think you're more of a penny-pincher (for not just going to the trouble of spending yet another $35) than someone who not only wants to get to the bottom of this, but is actually doing a lot of their QA for them for free.

How efficient. I can track the RMA status online, and can check when the product was received. The tracking number even tells me who signed for it. AND we can see that they do not even have an estimated shipping date.

From the original Email, I was expecting 10 day turn around.

"SanDisk is not obligated to replace product under warranty that has not been returned, therefore, to ensure the safe arrival of your shipment, use a tamper-proof, padded mailing envelope of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling while in-transit. Once the defective product has been received and processed, your replacement order will be shipped. Please allow 7-10 business days after receipt at SanDisk for processing of your order. When your replacement order ships, you will receive an e-mail notification with the tracking number to allow you to track the shipment while in-transit to you."

Terrible, but well-organized, service. Of course, reading between the lines- 7 to 10 days to process the order, not to ship it. Weasel Words.

RMA Number RX483489

Date Product Received 2011-08-19 12:00:00
Estimated Ship Date
Actual Ship Date
Tracking Number 1Z2W74459094613344
Outbound Tracking Number

A viable corporation should always spend on a good team of legal writers, as it's more-often-than-not profitable to be obtuse.

"Check's in the mail". Doesn't mean they put postage and won't get returned. ;)

Got a response from Sandisk, and the SD card is headed my way! Reading the UPS tracking information, I see the problem. It literally fell into a Black Hole, was delivered to Memphis in September of 2010, re-materialized back into the shipping lane, and is being redelivered as we speak. Unless it falls into another Black Hole.

San Pablo, CA, United States 09/22/2011 3:40 A.M. Departure Scan
09/22/2011 1:23 A.M. Arrival Scan
Sunnyvale, CA, United States 09/21/2011 11:59 P.M. Departure Scan
09/21/2011 5:01 P.M. Pickup Scan
Memphis, TN, United States 09/10/2010 1:07 P.M. Delivered
United States 09/21/2011 4:29 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I wonder how Data Integrity is on a UHS-1 card that has been throut a Black Hole? I think the problem is use of faster-than-light technology in the card. Your data is written to the card out of phase with respect to our time-space-continuum.

So the new card arrived.

Put it into the HP Pavillion g Win7 machine before putting it into any of the cameras.

The "Combo" socket of the computer did not recognize the card.

Put the card into the latest Sandisk multi-Card reader, hooked it up to the USB port, ran SDFormatter from SDCARD.ORG, the "Keeper of the Code".

Formatted, got some message about erasing Flash not supported by this drive.

We'll see what it does now.

Tried copying some files to the card using the Sandisk USB "all in one" imagemate.

"Operation could not be completed due to I/O error".

There is Crap.

There is absolute Crap.

There is Pure Crap.

This Sandisk card is Pure, Absolute CRAP!

And the SDCARD.ORG "Official" format utility now reports that the card is write protected.

Last Sandisk card that I will ever buy.

Last edited:
Yup. This pure-crap waste of Silicon and Plastic does not work in the Olympus EP-2. I get "Card Error".

This pure piece of CRAP was never in a Leica.

Worth $35 to determine that the problem is not with the Leica M9? Not really, but at least when I read someone blaming Leica because they stuck a piece of pure crap into it to record their pictures without testing the combination first, i can send them this card for a backup.

Just to be clear- this card was sent to me directly from Sandisk, and I strongly doubt it is a "counterfeit" card.

If it was, it would have been slow- but at least it would have worked.

Just to be clear- this card was sent to me directly from Sandisk, and I strongly doubt it is a "counterfeit" card.

If it was, it would have been slow- but at least it would have worked.

Wow, Brian...glad you are following up on this! We are lucky to have you doing this...How does this relate to the original poster(s) about the M9 and cards?:confused:

Always try a new combo out before relying on it for important work. They have themselves and Sandisk to blame for this fiasco.

Don't use Sandisk UHS-1 cards. Not even in a Sandisk Card reader.

Back