Sandisk 8GByte Extreme Pro: will not work with my EP-2, CX-1, or WIN7 machine.

Last edited:
Dear Brian,

No fair! You know what you're talking about! Are you SURE that the Internet is the right place for you?

As a matter of idle interest, do you get any extra recognition from the government for assigned patents? Kodak had a lovely custom of a silver dollar for every patent assigned to them by employees.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
The Internet... It was very different in the 1980s. Having custom chips made for my Network Interface Card was fun. That was the 1990s for me. Working in a research Lab for over 30 years has its pluses. Some of the work that I did was incorporated into the RFC's that define IP.

15 years ago I would have written a custom device driver to test the SD card, if I needed it for a project. This is what you get for using software that you did not even write yourself. These days, just wanted to see if the M9 was at fault, or if the Sandisk card had a problem. Since the card was never in my Leica M9, and it is supposed to work with WIN7 and XP computers but does not, I'm thinking the card is the problem.

Last edited:
I supplied all of the requested information requested to get the RMA, have not heard anything back.

- Your Phone Number.
xxx-xxx-xxxx
- Your complete physical address (No P.O. Box please)
Brian Sweeney
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx,xx
xxxxx-xx
USA
- What is written on the face of the card?
Sandisk Extreme Pro
SDHC I
8GB

- The Product code (Alpha Numeric Code ) which is at the back of the Card
BI1035716257G
- From where did you purchase this product?
Amazon.com,
Order filled by:
Beach Camera
80 Carter Drive
Edison, NJ

- Exact or approximate Date of Purchase of the card in the format of MM/DD/YYYY
08/03/2011
- How was the product packaged at the time of purchase?
Card was in black box, box-size plastic insert was intact and had to be cut open. SD card was in the jewel case as shown in the attached images.
- Are you getting the product replaced for the first time by SanDisk?
Yes: I have used Sandisk PCMCIA memory cards, 1GByte SD cards, 2GByte SD cards, 4GByte SD cards without problems.
- Do you have any important data on the product?
NO: I tested the card before actual use, and found it would not work reliably on my computer.

Hi Brian

Hi Brian

re: custom chips

Were they ATM or Ethernet? Chances are they were made by me!

The Internet... It was very different in the 1980s. Having custom chips made for my Network Interface Card was fun. That was the 1990s for me. Working in a research Lab for over 30 years has its pluses. Some of the work that I did was incorporated into the RFC's that define IP.

15 years ago I would have written a custom device driver to test the SD card, if I needed it for a project. This is what you get for using software that you did not even write yourself. These days, just wanted to see if the M9 was at fault, or if the Sandisk card had a problem. Since the card was never in my Leica M9, and it is supposed to work with WIN7 and XP computers but does not, I'm thinking the card is the problem.

ATM.

Transwitch and PMC Framing chips, LSI ATMizer 64360 and 64363. We had an ATM NIC built around the LSI ATMizer and MUSIC 1480 CAM chip in ~1995.

I've worked with SONET/SDH and ATM since 1990. I had an OC-12 NIC in 1996. Running with Phar Lap extended DOS.

This SD card is the most "screwed-up" memory card that I have ever seen. And I remember Bubble memory and CORE. And worked with code from the IBM 7094 Stretch, with the ECC that was later proven ineffective.

Last edited:
ok

ok

I did the ANA5910/30/40 ASICs through TSMC, using PMC Sierra PHYs, on at least the OC-3 card.

I thought you meant early early, like mid '80s Seeq Ethernet NICs.

ATM.

Transwitch and PMC Framing chips, LSI ATMizer 64360 and 64363. We had an ATM NIC built around the LSI ATMizer and MUSIC 1480 CAM chip in ~1995.

I've worked with SONET/SDH and ATM since 1990. I had an OC-12 NIC in 1996. Running with Phar Lap extended DOS.

This SD card is the most "screwed-up" memory card that I have ever seen. And I remember Bubble memory and CORE. And worked with code from the IBM 7094 Stretch, with the ECC that was later proven ineffective.

Ethernet didn't use single-mode optical at the time. Our interest was from the optical layer up, single-mode. They were still trying to decide if ATM would be 64 byte or 32 byte cells when we started.

So- Ted, when are you going to try a Sandisk UHS card in your Leica...

One tip off on this card: the box states that it uses "Enhanced Super-Parallel Processing" to attain it's speed. The SD card specification states that many of the registers can only be accessed when the transfer is idle, that register values are not valid while the buffers are being written. I spent a most of the 1980's working parallel computers, and interlocks when accessing data could be tricky. I wonder if that is why the card runs into trouble when data is being simultaneously written from the camera while the user is chimping.

In 1996

In 1996

we were shipping pre 802.3z MMF, and SMF (1300nm) 64-bit 66Mhz PCI cards (GbE), as well as switches.

I don't have a digital Leica, and I don't use Sandisk cards (the kids have mine), I use Kingston, Adata, Transcend, and PQI Class 6 and Class 10 SDHC.

No UHS-1 or SDXC for me at this time. But at the same time, I wouldn't buy or use a camera today that didn't support them ;)

Ethernet didn't use single-mode optical at the time. Our interest was from the optical layer up, single-mode. They were still trying to decide if ATM would be 64 byte or 32 byte cells when we started.

One tip off on this card: the box states that it uses "Enhanced Super-Parallel Processing" to attain it's speed. The SD card specification states that many of the registers can only be accessed when the transfer is idle, that register values are not valid while the buffers are being written. I spent a most of the 1980's working parallel computers, and interlocks when accessing data could be tricky. I wonder if that is why the card runs into trouble when data is being simultaneously written from the camera while the user is chimping.

sandisk ESP

sandisk ESP

Seems to work well in the D7000:

http://glamourphotography.co/gear/u...95-mbsec-vs-sandisk-extreme-pro-32gb-45mbsec/

I don't have one of those, or would try the card in it. My Nikon DSLR uses PCMCIA cards, and the Sandisk drives work fine in it. a 110MByte card- woohoo. My first Sandisk card was a 4MByte PCMCIA card for the Kodak DC50. Never had a problem.

Too bad Leica could not use a CF card the the M8/M9. I prefer parallel interfaces.

yeah, I noticed that too

yeah, I noticed that too

And likewise, the Sandisk card is not on the M9's compatibility list.

However, both vendors have mentioned the other companies in the past - e.g. Leica recommending older Ultra or Extreme cards, and Sandisk PRs with Sandisk having Leica (no model #s) mentioned in there with Canon and Nikon and other vendors.

DOH!

According to the Sandisk "Check your product compatibil​ity here" Wizard:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Product-Compatibility/Check-your-product-compatibility-here/td-p/227682

Don't use their cards in your Leica. Not even on the list.

I think that this is a case where technology has just marched on.

If I had an M8 or M9 now, I'd just stock up on FAT32 SDHC Class 10 cards, non UHS-1.

My old Lumix LX3 will never use SDHC cards, and I've kept a stash of cards for it, as it still works fine. Epson RD1s will never use SDXC cards, and folks are dealing with that.

We already know that the M8 and M9 are not UHS-1 host devices, so the UHS-1 max transfer speed of 104MBytes/sec. will never be achieved. Just get a good class 10 SDHC card and be happy cards are cheaper than for Nikon D7000 users who want the fastest speed. Slows you down. Helps you think and compose as the camera slowly empties it's buffer ...

I just checked the Sandisk compatibility wizard and it lists some cards as compatible with the Nikon D700 that are not on Nikon's compatibility list. It just might pay to stick to what the manufacturer of your camera says is compatible. I think I will be sticking to the Extreme III which is fast enough and has not caused any problems, touch wood , so far.

Bob

Bob

good reviews

good reviews

Yes, if one has a pci-e based expresscard reader, or usb3 reader, it could speed up card to computer transfers.

However, the tomshardware benchmarks show that these UHS-1 cards can also be slower in some types of reads and writes, than non-UHS-1 class 10 cards, and provides this note:

"Users who don’t need 40 MB/s write speeds, but insist on the highest possible minimum transfer speeds, should still consider some of the more established (existing) products."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-12.html

There's also the OS/driver issue. If you're lucky, and are able to reliably use the UHS-1 SDHC card in FAT32 mode in your Leica M8/M9 or whatever non D7000 camera, then you have to hope your OS/drivers/card reader setup will recognize it in that format, and not expect it to be an sdxc exfat formatted card, and want to erase it ...

The test of the card with the Nikon D7000.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11133-11187

The article does make reference to a "Formatting Quirk" on the 16Gb and 32GB card that caused a reduction in speed. It also states that even if your camera does not support UHS-1, you might still be interested for faster off-loads to your computer.

Hmmm...it appears to this non-geek dumbass that saving photos on digital cameras is getting more complex.:confused:

Brian, are you convinced that the M9 problems with the card is attributable to it's (the card) incompatibility? Does Leica have this information to make a statement?:)

Back