Selecting an FSU camera: Beginner's Guide

When it's finally stickied, can we remove the "Bump" posts? (I'll remove this one when it is.)

wolves3012 said:
Seconded - BUMP!

Wolves, first, good job compiling.
Secondly, why don't you PM backalley or rover (or whoever the mod in charge) to get them to sticky this thread? At least that way they have the chance to explain whether they are ok with it or not. I think it'd be more efficient than bumping, no?

Zorki.1 Review

Zorki.1 Review

I have 3 Zorki.1s - models B, C & D. All are export models nicknamed "Zorki-Zorki" for having their name written twice on top in both English and Cyrillic. Zorki.1 is probably the closest Zorki (in size and function) to the legendary Leica.II.

To my knowledge, the Zorki.Zorki always has engraved names/numbers as opposed to some later model Zorki.1s that have stamped names and logos. I've read that the stamped models seem to have a little lighter material for the top plate construction.

The plus side of Zorki.1 IMHO is it's size and simplicity. The small RF/VF allow a very low top housing and the no hinge/no back door keep it short and thin making it quite easily slipped into a jacket pocket or very small fanny pack for carry-round if a strap us unwanted. I thought the lack of strap lugs would be a big minus, but even on other Zorkis I have which do have lugs, I found the use of a half-case to be a lot more sturdy and convenient for my uses so I don't miss the lugs at all.

I have at times even loaded two Zorki.1 bodies with film, put my lens of choice on one and a body cap on the other and slid it into my side vest pocket before going out to shoot. When the film is used up on the first, I pull out the spare body, install the lens and drop the used body back in my pocket, ready to go - no fumbling with film leaders and spools on the run.

The bottom loading of a Zorki.1 puts off some folks, but the fact is, it's breeze after the first 4 or 5 rolls. It doesn't for some folks, but for me it takes a few more seconds than loading something with a back door. But hey, who am I? Mr. Big Shot Innahurry? Right. Nowadays, I prefer bottom loaders over all others.

Simplicity-wise, well, for taking pictures, there's three controls. Wind knob, shutter speed dial and of course, shutter release. There's no diopter adjustment, no self-timer, no flash sync, no LCD screen. :rolleyes:

My B & D models have B + 5 speeds; 25, 50, 100, 250 & 500. The C has the "Z" setting instead of B and a whopping 7 speeds; 20, 30, 40, 60, 100, 200, 500. On a rare occasion I miss the slow speeds (below 1/20) of my Leica.IIIs or other Zorkis, but not that often. To my surprise, the positive thing about minimal shutter speeds for me is minimal choices = minimal putzing with controls. Even if you're not that good at using Sunny.16, when you've only got 5 speeds [or 7 at most] to choose from, you don't kill alot of time making the big decision. :confused: You get to spend more time looking at what you want to shoot and not missing the right moment.

All-in-all, the Zorki.1 for me is a good, compact, durable, old-school Russian "point-n-shoot" that takes LTM lenses. It's size encourages me to carry it more often, even when I'm not plannng to shoot. Simple is better so there's not much there to scew up or distract me from the enjoyment of actually photographing with the camera as opposed to playing with the camera and going home with no visual bounty (which I've done more times than I want to admit.) They're comfortable in my hands and the controls are a nice size so they're not fiddly.

**Prices on the models with stamped names/logos seem to run a little cheaper with export Zorki-Zorkis maybe 20-30% higher, but there appears to be plenty of Zorki.1s still out there to enjoy.
Cheers ~~

edit: Here's a list of possible production dates for Zorki.1 according to serial numbers. These were posted by RFF member Ulrich on another thread. Thanks Ulrich!!

1948: 500 - 2136
1949: 2137 - 17137
1950: 17138 - 55324
1951: 55325 - 125826
1952: 125827 - 254579
1953: 254580 - 406730
1954: 406731 - 667231
1955: 8 digits begins with year
1956: 8 digits begins with year
--Ulrich

Also, he's provided serial number/date info for the very similar FED.1.

FED 1 SERIAL NUMBERS:
1934 SN 000031 - 004000
1935 SN 004001 - 016000
1936 SN 016001 - 031000
1937 SN 031001 - 053000
1938 SN 053001 - 082000
1939 SN 082001 - 116000
1940 SN 116001 - 148000
1941 SN 148001 - 175000
1942 - 45 (World War Two)
1946 SN 175001 - 176000
1947 SN 176001 - 186000
1948 SN 186001 - 203000
1949 SN 203001 - 221000
1950 SN 221001 - 248000
1951 SN 248001 - 289000
1952 SN 289001 - 341000
1953 SN 341001 - 424000
1954 SN 424001 - 560000
1955 SN 560001 - 700000

Ulrich

Last edited:
shadowfox said:
Wolves, first, good job compiling.
Secondly, why don't you PM backalley or rover (or whoever the mod in charge) to get them to sticky this thread? At least that way they have the chance to explain whether they are ok with it or not. I think it'd be more efficient than bumping, no?
Thanks for the comment. You assume, however, that I didn't PM a mod (although you're right, I didn't). From previous experience, mods seem to be rather busy people and either don't read or don't notice a PM - that's not meant as an attack on the mods, merely an observation. If you've read the posts, several people have requested it stickied. Hopefully a mod will read it and sticky it at some point, if they approve...

Calling all Moderators---Could you consider this for setting up as a 'sticky',assuming all Bumps will be deleted to reduce the space used.

Thanks,
Brian.

wolves3012 said:
Thanks for the comment. You assume, however, that I didn't PM a mod (although you're right, I didn't). From previous experience, mods seem to be rather busy people and either don't read or don't notice a PM - that's not meant as an attack on the mods, merely an observation. If you've read the posts, several people have requested it stickied. Hopefully a mod will read it and sticky it at some point, if they approve...

wolves, I didn't assume anything, sorry if my question is offensive :)

I just PM'ed Rover and Joe (back alley) requesting this thread to be stickified, not a problem if they ignored me, but maybe they will oblige. Let's see.

SCOTFORTHLAD said:
Calling all Moderators---Could you consider this for setting up as a 'sticky',assuming all Bumps will be deleted to reduce the space used.

Thanks,
Brian.

Thanks Mr Mods!!

My 'bumps' have been deleted;)

Brian.

I've taken the leap!!!

I've taken the leap!!!

Decided, since I'm supposedly a russian linguist :confused:, and studied the russian military, that it was time to see how well the FED-1 worked. Just ordered one ... Now the wait.

DrLeoB said:
"Just ordered one ... Now the wait."
Ahhh, yes. That's the anthem of every FSU gearhead alright. "Just ordered one - now the wait!! and wait! and wait!" :D

Guess I'll have time to finish some of my other projects then, ....
Digital M3
Trashed Leica II refurb/CLA/Total Rebuild

DrLeoB said:
Guess I'll have time to finish some of my other projects then, .... Digital M3, Trashed Leica II refurb/CLA/Total Rebuild ....
That would be the wise plan. Unfortunately, I usually spend my *wait.time* shopping for the next purchase. :eek:

Hi, I found it's a little difficult to find the dimension data of these FSU cameras, the height, width, depth, etc. I already have a Fed 3b which I think is quite similar to Zorki 4 in both having slow shutters. But since Zorki 4 has a good lens, I am thinking of buying a set of Zorki 4 and J-8, or saving money and looking for a good J-3. I think Fed 3 is a little bit bigger than I like. Is a Zorki 4 more compact than it?

Thanks. :)

yek said:
Hi, I found it's a little difficult to find the dimension data of these FSU cameras, the height, width, depth, etc. I already have a Fed 3b which I think is quite similar to Zorki 4 in both having slow shutters. But since Zorki 4 has a good lens, I am thinking of buying a set of Zorki 4 and J-8, or saving money and looking for a good J-3. I think Fed 3 is a little bit bigger than I like. Is a Zorki 4 more compact than it?

Thanks. :)
A FED 3b and Zorki 4 are almost exactly the same size. The Zorki looks a little smaller simply because it has a stepped-top, where the FED is "square". The Zorki has 3 bumps on the bottom which make is stand a fraction taller, however. If you want smaller you'll have to sacrifice the slow speeds because all smaller models don't have them. To be honest, only the FED1, Zorki 1 and Zorki 2 are significanly smaller than the rest, especially with collapsible lenses.

If you want them graded in size (approximately, it depends if you count knobs & levers):

Zorki & FED 1___FED 2___Zorki 2/2C___Zorki 5 & 6, Kiev (unmetered)___FED 3 & Zorki 3 & 4 ___FED 4 & 5, Kiev (metered)

For reasons I don't follow, editing the post above crashes my browser! The size order was meant to say Zorki C/2C not 2/2C. a Zorki 2 is the same size as a Zorki 1, I believe.

Back