Selecting an FSU camera: Beginner's Guide

adsg2 said:
Hello all... RF newbie here...

I've read through the threads, and after deciding on a Russian vs. Yashica RF, I'll go for a russian. It seems that the top contenders here are a Fed 2, Zorki 6 and an early model Kiev 4.

Can you help me narrow my choices further? I most likely will be making my acquisition from eBay.

TIA!
Narrowing the choice further will depend on your list of requirements. Things to consider would include the type of photgraphy you do. Do you need slow speeds, for instance? Neither the Zorki nor FED has them. Can you live without the hinged back of the Zorki 6? If you are buying from eBay, consider the chances of getting a properly working example. The Kiev is a more complex camera and is more likely to have problems unless it's been serviced, which most FSUs have not. Of your choices, the FED is the simplest if you do some DIY servicing. The Zorki will have the brightest VF but the FED has good contrast - which do you prefer? The Kiev will also have the most limited range of lenses but those lenses are probably quite enough and are relatively cheap.

Whatever you choice, the usual pitfalls of eBay will apply. Try to get one from a seller who will accept a return if faulty or at least get some sort of guarantee. Alternatively you can just accept the risk of a dud, since most FSUs are quite cheap. Be warned though, that very price makes them addictive!

Here is a short guide

Zorki 1 with Industar 22 (collapsible) or FED 1 if you want a light and small camera that will fit in any pocket (caution, no slow speeds!).
Zorki 4 or 4k if you want a more advanced camera with a full set of shutter speeds and a 1:1 viewfinder.
Both cameras accept Leitz lenses with a few limitations due to the shape of RF actuator in the lens.
For more info take a look at Jay Javier´s Zorki survival site.

Kiev 4 if you like the Contax feel.
Lenses in Contax / Kiev mount are not too expensive even being original german made Zeiss glass. The russian copies are really good and cheap.
Another nice feature is the very big RF baselenght which allows for slow but precise focusing.
There is a lot of info about this cameras at Russ Pinchbeck´s Kiev survival site in the internet.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Ernesto

thanks for the replies everyone! :D

i'm leaning towards a kiev4 (i think the slow speeds would come in handy for me). the ones i've been seeing on ebay have bodies with serial numbers in the 70s and 80s. And i read somewhere that models made during these times have rather unpredictable performances.

should I hold out for the 50s and 60s model bodies? or will the later model bodies do just fine? how about lenses? Should the date of manufacture matter for lenses as well?

apologies for having so many questions. TIA again! :)

I bought a FED-2c with green "leather" two weeks ago and am now waiting for the promised take-up spool from Kim Coxon now. Hope to be able to use it soon, since there'll be a photo-enthusiastic students' meeting soon in my town. Would be very cool to use it then and see the results gained on that day.
Also if the Industar 26 works well etc. From the plain sound and switches it works very good.

I can't decide among few sweet offers.

A never used FED 5, with the box and all included.

FED 2, used but in perfect condition.

FED 3, With a Jupiter-12 lens.

What would you say?

They're all the same price.

Fed 3 and the 35/2.8 is a good combo.You could add a J8 later and have a nice set up.Is it the new or earlier model 3?Has it a flat or step down top plate?Good hunting............Robin

Not quite sure. I've decided to look for some Russian RF cameras locally and these people just keep on calling me with offers.

Well the FED 3 sounds promising, but I already own a 3b[flat top] with Industar-61 and I love the click-stops:)

Very interesting thread...I am interested in a Fed 2 D, But I have seen 2 versions...

1) FED 2 inscribed where the F is more like a box with a line through it, and

2) Fed 2 in script with the word "Fed" in english letters under the scipt lettering

What is the differnce ??

Thanks Peter

If you already own a FED 3, go for the 2 then. The 2 is a bit smaller and lighter and is usually very reliable, although lacking slow-speeds. The 5 is a camera that has no more capability than the 3 you already own (unless it is the metered version and the meter works properly). The 5 is generally regarded as ugly and it's bigger and heavier too...

arbib said:
Very interesting thread...I am interested in a Fed 2 D, But I have seen 2 versions...

1) FED 2 inscribed where the F is more like a box with a line through it, and

2) Fed 2 in script with the word "Fed" in english letters under the scipt lettering

What is the differnce ??

Thanks Peter
The difference is what you just quoted. I'm not entirely sure but the dual-engraved one may just be an export version (allegedly better made but I'm not convinced that's true). There will be no difference in capability. The only real change made to the FED 2 was the shutter-speeds changing from 1/25, 1/50 etc to 1/30, 1/60 etc. Other than that the changes were only to the style of certain parts, like the wind-knob.

Permanent said:
I can't decide among few sweet offers.

A never used FED 5, with the box and all included.
FED 2, used but in perfect condition.
FED 3, With a Jupiter-12 lens.

What would you say?
They're all the same price.

There's nothing like the out-of-the-box experience of a 'new' Fed 5. It's just incredible what you get for your money. There are and will allways be plenty of used Fed 2's, but the number of 'new' Fed 5's is finite.

Regards,

Wim

Thanks for the opinions. It really helped me out. I think I'll try to get both, Fed 2 and the boxed FED 5 for a considerably cheap price. They're both of the same person, so I think it'll get around 20$ for both..

You ought to really get that J-12 somehow. What lens is on the Fed 2? Maybe you can do a trade off with the lense thats on the fed2 for the J12. Of course then you will need a finder but there pretty cheap. Also you wont be sad that you got the fed 5.

I don't really know, haven't seen any of those cameras yet. I'm up to see a very old professional photographer sometime soon. He always had the best equipment during the SSRS occupation. I think he could toss me some old lenses. So I'm just up to get some bodies first..

Hi,

Permanent said:
I'm up to see a very old professional photographer sometime soon. He always had the best equipment during the SSRS occupation. I think he could toss me some old lenses.
Are you from Lithuania? :) Ironically, if he was a professional photographer in the USSR, there is a certain probability that the best equipment he was using was Western equipment... Either way these people are contacts we should hold on to.

Philipp

This is a really helpful thread for new people! I just got into rangefinders over the past few months and I thought I'd share my experience as a new user.

I bought a Fed 2b and a Fed 5c. I bought the 2 because it seems to be so beloved on the forums, and the 5c because I heard that the lens was great and I wanted the convenience of a light meter.

I like both cameras, and have used both quite a bit. For a person just starting out, though I think the Fed 5c is perfect. I love the Fed 2 and have taken some great shots with it (despite the fact it has a light leak I can't find) but that match number system on the 5's light meter makes playing with depth of field so easy. (you get a list of shutter speeds and apertures that you can use.) I'm sure once you're really good at this you can see the proper lighting very easily in your head, and when I'm at that point I'll be fixing my Fed 2 and using it a lot more, but for now the 5 makes it so easy to take great pictures.

Back