Show your photos from a vintage folder

Gentlemen, these are all fun to see here.

Mike, particularly appropriate use of this camera for these vintage cars.

John, I like the look with T Max. I have a couple rolls that I have been meaning to shoot with my folders rather than the HP-5 that has been my go-to more recently.

Lynn, I love this one -slightly reminiscent of your Polaroids although the 6x9 adds to the frame for sure. I really like the cropping/framing at the top as you did, but wonder whether the entire frame if it is the bottom that is cropped could have been used. I'm thinking maybe you chose this cropping to bring better attention to the girls.

David

John, I like the look with T Max. I have a couple rolls that I have been meaning to shoot with my folders rather than the HP-5 that has been my go-to more recently.

David

Tmax 100 is a great film, and I like the creaminess of it when developed in HC-110h. I shoot it at 50 EI so that presents a problem with folders.

Lynn, I love this one -slightly reminiscent of your Polaroids although the 6x9 adds to the frame for sure. I really like the cropping/framing at the top as you did, but wonder whether the entire frame if it is the bottom that is cropped could have been used. I'm thinking maybe you chose this cropping to bring better attention to the girls.
David

Hi David, I took that picture from the waist as I walked by and aimed the camera too high. This is the bottom of the frame; I cropped the sky out.

A couple more from the same roll. The curved horizon in the second shot is the film curled in the Epson scanner's plastic film holder:

Adox Start 6x9 / Steinheil-Cassar 105mm f/6.3 uncoated triplet
long-expired Tri-X 320 in Ilfotec HC 1+31

U27021I1628652386.SEQ.0.jpg

U27021I1628654337.SEQ.0.jpg

Gentlemen, these are all fun to see here.

Mike, particularly appropriate use of this camera for these vintage cars...

Thanks. I was pleased to get something I liked from the Kodak Pocket Special, mostly because I don't have a very good routine for frame spacing with the 120 film in the 116 camera. The bright reflex viewfinder is actually quite a bit nicer to use than the ones on the later Kodak folders.

There is a regular little informal car show every Friday morning in Old Town Albuquerque's Plaza Vieja, so I have often taken advantage of that to shoot the classic cars with cameras of about the same vintage. The Pocket Special is actually about thirty years older than most of the cars that are on display, but that has its own appeal too.

I have been happy with the combination of expired Tri-X and hc110 with several of my old folders and plate cameras. I'm also working on getting similar results from Fomapan 400, but that may take a while.

1040283.jpg

Thank you all for the responses!

Lynn, we can take your film/horizon curve as a fluke of nature playing out! Nice images!

John, I realize the TMX I have is 400. Somehow in 120 I feel like it can produce smooth and creamy. I may try HC 110 for development.

Mike, Fun seeing the finder....took me a minute to figure it out, even though I have used one on a 620 camera. I loo forward to seeing more, it sounds like a field day when the cars are out on display.

David

Hi Neal,

The quality of that image ^^^ is quite remarkable! Also wondering what the differnce in A and H designation as Mike's seems to be an A. Fun, these old Kodaks!

David

Hi Neal,

The quality of that image ^^^ is quite remarkable! Also wondering what the differnce in A and H designation as Mike's seems to be an A. Fun, these old Kodaks!

David

It's quite a challenge to sort out all the Kodak models and film formats. The No.1 and No.2 Kodaks used 120 film. The 1A used 116 film. The No.3 Model H required 118 film.

The only way I have had any luck is just to look inside the body. Then I was able to find a 3D printed adapter for 120 fairly easily. FWIW, I developed my Ilford Ortho in HC-110, dilution B. The one I posted was the sharpest on the roll.

Back