Other Areas Singapore and Malaysia RF Club

P

Peter

Hello guys!

I have set up another thread here to communicate among ourselves for group shoot, sales of equipment and general RF talk! :D

Regards,
Peter

Good move Peter... soon we will need to expand to the rest of ASEAN ;-)

Nick

Growing very nicely here. We'd need to organise a RF shoot one weekend and get to know everyone.

Nick, you've let me down the path of the M... sad to say, I'm expecting a package in the mail shortly. My poor wallet...

Good to see suzums here! All we need is more members and we could organise a group shoot and gathering soon! So, I see another one has taken the path of the Dark Side! :p

suzums said:
Wow!!! Now I'm geographically included! :D

By the way suzums, or should I say Susie. Tell us more about yourself. What equipment you use and the type of photography you enjoy. :)

Welcome to the dark side. The Dark Side has unlimited powers... to master the force you must know the dark side... he he he.
Is it an M7? I understand that u cannot live without aperture priority?
Don't blame me, if it was not for you I would not be using the M too!

Nick

Peter said:
By the way suzums, or should I say Susie. Tell us more about yourself. What equipment you use and the type of photography you enjoy. :)

M7? Nah... I'm still in the process of finding someone in need of a kidney, perhaps then I'll have one! :D I've even waste time on the Leica a la carte, and surprised myself with the price it amounted to!

Thank you for the welcoming!

Well... I'm can't say that I am new to photography, I've been shooting for almost three, four years... But have finally intertwined photography into my lifestyle just this year, and see almost everything in monotones :p
Recently received the Contax G1 and the 45mm Planar as a gift, and haven't looked back since! I am still in the process of learning, learning, and induldging photos and words to learn more about the whole rangefinder system and find myself addicted to it!
I've found a love of adapting myself to the surrounding and began my love affair with street/candid photography. I shoot film devotedly, much different from those in my generation!
With that all said, I am only 20 and have a long way to go. I'm here to take any advices that y'all have to give! Cheers!

Haha next question?!

Oh oh, and I'm currently in KL, Malaysia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice gallery suzums! I particularly like this.

Hey, nowadays even my 60+ year old father-in-law think that I am a backward film dinosaur.

nickchew said:
Is it an M7? I understand that u cannot live without aperture priority?
Don't blame me, if it was not for you I would not be using the M too!

Eh Nick, let me set the record straight, if it weren't for me, you'd have ended up with the M either way, just a more expensive one!

How right you are, it is a M7. Having cracked open my piggy bank to buy that, I'm in the midst of selling my other gear to compensate. It's not that I can't live without the AE, it's because the 7 has abou the quietest shutter in the entire M lineup. The impending Jul 1 Leica price increase has something to do with my purchase decision too.

Welcome Suzie :)

We need you young ones in here to lower our average age from the current 58 years. In this digital age, it's kinda rare to hear someone at your age shooting nothing but film. I myself only recently got back into film after a long break from photography. I still find myself picking up my DSLR more often these days.

Great gallery, hope to see more :)

glchua said:
Nice gallery suzums! I particularly like this.

Hey, nowadays even my 60+ year old father-in-law think that I am a backward film dinosaur.

Thank you! I like that one too :D

Terence T said:
Welcome Suzie :)

We need you young ones in here to lower our average age from the current 58 years. In this digital age, it's kinda rare to hear someone at your age shooting nothing but film. I myself only recently got back into film after a long break from photography. I still find myself picking up my DSLR more often these days.

Great gallery, hope to see more :)

Haha, you know what... I've been wondering what the average age is on here!

More photos shall come along once I can find a place to purchase some developing chemicals!

It's actually probably about the mid 30s, people like Peter and Nick are responsible for bumping it up. But hey, you're only as old as you think you are right?

Heard photographic supplies are rather costly in KL. I have a friend from over there who comes down to Singapore to specially buy equipment and supplies.

Terence T said:
It's actually probably about the mid 30s, people like Peter and Nick are responsible for bumping it up. But hey, you're only as old as you think you are right?

Heard photographic supplies are rather costly in KL. I have a friend from over there who comes down to Singapore to specially buy equipment and supplies.

They are not just rather costly, and very costly! Oh and limited as well. I know someone from a different forum that is kind enough to bring back supplies for other members and makes no profit out of it.

I am actually thinking of taking a trip down there myself, but I'm still debating with myself over how necessary it is for me.

Oh I do have a question for you though, are bulk films like Ilford HP5 and Fuji Neopans cheaper than the one listed on websites like B&H and Adorama? If so, I might want to bring some with me before I head off to the US!

I'm not sure if Ilford film is available in bulk rolls here, anyone else care to verify? Generally, it's slightly cheaper to get film in the US, especially Fuji and Kodak. And if you're going to be there anyways, probably be a bit more convenient too. Ilford is actually a bit cheaper here in Singapore. XP2 is $5/roll and HP5 $4.50/roll at Ruby Photo.

I regularly purchase expired film from the US and you can get those for a bargain. Just need to make sure they are properly refridgerated and not too long after their expiry date (<1 yr).

Terence T said:
I'm not sure if Ilford film is available in bulk rolls here, anyone else care to verify? Generally, it's slightly cheaper to get film in the US, especially Fuji and Kodak. And if you're going to be there anyways, probably be a bit more convenient too. Ilford is actually a bit cheaper here in Singapore. XP2 is $5/roll and HP5 $4.50/roll at Ruby Photo.

I regularly purchase expired film from the US and you can get those for a bargain. Just need to make sure they are properly refridgerated and not too long after their expiry date (<1 yr).

Ah, thats just slightly cheaper than. May be not so much worth the hassle for me to go all the way to Singapore to buy film!

I will look into getting expired film once I'm there. I've always been tempted to buy the expired slides that I see on ebay!

I am not that old Terence! :p As for bulk roll of XP2, they are not available but could be ordered from Ruby. I had a look at Susie's gallery and I like the framed gateway shot from China. By the way Susie, in my Pbase site there is a gallery that is locked and the password is seance. Do take a look and I believe you have similar activity in Taiwan.

:D No worries about the film now. I think I shall just end up buying in the US. Making a trip down to SG and back will be like paying for my shipping so Its all sorted out!

Peter, I've see your gallery of the temple ceremony! Some pretty intense photos as well. I'm sure that similar activities goes on in Taiwan as well but was never lucky enough to catch a second one like it.
As for the cemermony that I caught on film. I was lucky because it was taking place right downstairs and across the street from where I work. I was an intern and a very understanding boss and collegues. The sad part is that I have no idea what the cemermony was for or what it meant as I had to send myself back to work!

Back