Some new photos from Fort Wayne

3-5-23-eaglemarsh-1.jpg

I photographed this scene on a foggy March morning at Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This tree was growing on a piece of dry land surrounded by water and cattails on the south side of Engle Road in the main part of the marsh, which is just outside the city limits.

The fog was staying close to the ground, and was strongly backlit by the bright morning sun.

This is the first of several landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning.

3-5-23

3-19-23-ice-1.jpg

3-19-23-ice-2.jpg

Early in the morning on the last day of Winter, I found the windows of my car covered in ice. It is not unusual for car windows to be frosted over on cold mornings in northern Indiana, but this ice was unusual. Instead of a flat layer of ice, devoid of any pattern, this looked like giant snowflakes had been glued to the outer surface of the windows!

I made two photographs of the ice on the car's windshield. The first was made from inside the car, seeing the translucent ice illuminated by the sunlight. The second was made looking at the windshield from outside the car.

3-19-23

I have seen that before, but not often. I wonder if wind has anything to do with the formation and pattern.

2-23-23-eaglemarsh-1.jpg

This tree stands on a bit of dry land surrounded by water and cattails, on a foggy February morning just outside Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is on the east side of Smith Road, north of Engle Road, just inside the city.

This is the first of several landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning.

2-23-23

2-23-23-eaglemarsh-3.jpg

I photographed this small leaning tree on a foggy February morning near Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is on the west side of Smith Road, north of Engle Road. This piece of land isn't part of Eagle Marsh, but like much of the nearby land, it is a marshy wetland, too.

This is the third of several landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning.

2-23-23

2-23-23-eaglemarsh-5.jpg

I photographed this beaver lodge, reflected on the smooth glasslike surface of the water, on a foggy February morning at Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is on the east side of Smith Road, north of Engle Road in a part of the marsh that is just inside the city. There are a lot of beaver lodges there, though I have not yet seen any of the beavers that built them.

This is the fifth of several landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning. It is also the first of two beaver lodges that I photographed there that morning.

2-23-23

2-23-23-eaglemarsh-6.jpg

I photographed this beaver lodge, reflected on the smooth glasslike surface of the water, on a foggy February morning at Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is on the east side of Smith Road, north of Engle Road in a part of the marsh that is just inside the city. There are a lot of beaver lodges there, though I have not yet seen any of the beavers that built them.

This is the sixth of several landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning. It is also the first of two beaver lodges that I photographed there that morning.

2-23-23

2-23-23-eaglemarsh-7.jpg

Two Canada geese swimming together, on a foggy February morning at Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is on the east side of Smith Road, north of Engle Road in a part of the marsh that is just inside the city.

This is the seventh of several landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning. It is also the first of two photographs that I made of this pair of geese.

2-23-23

2-23-23-eaglemarsh-9.jpg

This is the ninth of several landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning. It is also the second of two beaver lodges that I photographed there that morning.

2-23-23

6-5-17-scarecrow.jpg

A scarecrow lying on the ground next to one of the plots at the Fort Wayne Community Garden on Bluffton Road, across the street from the intersection of Bluffton Road and Sandpoint Road.

The Community Garden is operated by the Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department. They rent out garden plots to city residents who want a garden, but don't have the space for one.

6-5-17

2-23-23-eaglemarsh-10.jpg

This is the last of ten landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning. It is also the second of two beaver lodges that I photographed there that morning.

2-23-23

4-15-23-tubeman-2.jpg

An inflatable dancing tube man on the roof of the A.S. Elzey Building, above Hello Sunshine Bakery, on Lower Huntington Road, just west of Old Trail Road, in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The wind was blowing hard that morning; so the tube man was often pushed face-down by the wind, making him look like he was doing push-ups on the roof of the building.

4-15-23

4-15-23-tubeman-2.jpg

An inflatable dancing tube man on the roof of the A.S. Elzey Building, above Hello Sunshine Bakery, on Lower Huntington Road, just west of Old Trail Road, in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The wind was blowing hard that morning; so the tube man was often pushed face-down by the wind, making him look like he was doing push-ups on the roof of the building.

4-15-23
Take your gains where you can get them 💪

4-15-23-tubeman-2.jpg

4-15-23
All the components and colors of this photo, the composition, it’s just perfect.

3-5-23-eaglemarsh-2.jpg

I photographed this scene on a foggy March morning at Eagle Marsh, a restored wetland on the western edge of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This tree was growing on a piece of dry land surrounded by water and cattails on the south side of Engle Road in the main part of the marsh, which is just outside the city limits.

The fog was staying close to the ground, and was strongly backlit by the bright morning sun.

This is the second of three landscape photographs that I made at Eagle Marsh on that foggy morning.

3-5-23

Very folkloristic, you won't see this kind of patriotism in Europe. Here it is mostly forbidden to put up a national flag besides the few national festivities. Even wearing a little national flag on a button or sewed on a jacket would make you very suspicious around here.
Suspected of what, exactly? Of belonging to some group that certain others disapprove of? In the US, although both Democrats and Republicans can be seen wearing a flag pin, I have the impression that the wearer is more likely to be "suspected" of being a Republican (or a conservative) than of being a Democrat. Odd, since our Democratic president wears a flag pin. Of course, all this might vary by which part of the country, or state--maybe even by neighborhood--one is in. I have an American flag pin, and am a Democrat; I don't wear it because I have no idea what someone might suspect me of being. It's too hard to keep track of.

So, what does wearing a flag make you suspected of, in Europe?

Suspected of what, exactly? Of belonging to some group that certain others disapprove of? In the US, although both Democrats and Republicans can be seen wearing a flag pin, I have the impression that the wearer is more likely to be "suspected" of being a Republican (or a conservative) than of being a Democrat. Odd, since our Democratic president wears a flag pin. Of course, all this might vary by which part of the country, or state--maybe even by neighborhood--one is in. I have an American flag pin, and am a Democrat; I don't wear it because I have no idea what someone might suspect me of being. It's too hard to keep track of.

So, what does wearing a flag make you suspected of, in Europe?

In the US, the thing with politicians wearing American flag pins started after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. President Bush began wearing one, and Presidents Obama, Trump, and Biden have continued the tradition. It was because we went to war against the Taliban in Afghanistan and (later) against Saddam's Iraq and the Iraqi insurgency that followed Saddam's fall. Those wars didn't fully end until after President Biden took office.

Back