Sony NEX3 and NEX5 EVIL cameras with new E-mount

Bruin

Noktonian
Local time
5:12 AM
Sony's first EVIL cameras are rumored to be announced on May 11...

14MP APS-C CMOS sensor
200-12800 ISO
RAW support
920k dot, 16:9, 3" tiltable LCD
11 AF points
MP4 and AVCHD video (NEX3: 720p, NEX5: 1080p)
external flash
no in-body IS

First lenses are:
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
16mm f/2.8 IS

Check out the full specs at:
http://sonyalpharumors.com/

This forum might need to be renamed :D

Last edited:
Sounds enticing and I've been waiting to see the real thing.

One concern (beyond all the others) is that Sony (IMO) does not have a good history with its image processing. High ISO on the DSLRs is, from what I've read, not anywhere near the competition. And they have a tendency to go crazy with noise reduction. This won't be a winner if this critical part of the equation is still lacking.

That's a good speed for a 24mm equivalent. Sonyalpharumors suggest it will be prcied very aggressively compared to micro fourthirds.

I love my GF1 but it sounds like this could be a micro 43 killer, especially if it supports legacy lenses.

One concern (beyond all the others) is that Sony (IMO) does not have a good history with its image processing. High ISO on the DSLRs is, from what I've read, not anywhere near the competition. And they have a tendency to go crazy with noise reduction. This won't be a winner if this critical part of the equation is still lacking.

Must be hard for Sony to see their customers, Nikon, get results from their own (Sony) sensors.

wow, optical viewfinder. Looks very interesting. Would be more interesting if an M-mount adapter were coming.

[FONT=&quot]The specs at photoRumors.com have the NEX3 sans an EVF or hot shoe option. Same sensor apparently but only 720p video.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The NEX5 is supposedly, physically larger as well. Still waiting for the official specs from Sony but they do sound very intriguing.
Quite fun watching the hardware parade. [/FONT]

and here is someone that feels my pain.
I loved the G10 and I would love to go into an M43/mirrorless/EVIL system but the majors are pretty much ****ing with folks. MORE KNOBS!

well, I don't know if you've used one, but I rekon the e-p2/e-p1 is pretty good in controls - I prefer it to my friends g11.

But I can't even begin to imagine how bad touchscreen control for a serious camera would be. Boggles my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
only because i have had a boner for the the idea of a new maker entering the market, ive had my eye on things.

here is a teaser video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwbGmpFW_A

I like that world, skipping around on the beach with girls with long brown hair...

The focusing indication looks great - if only they had that on the GF1; if it is a touch sensitive screen, would be very interesting if you could focus by dragging on the focus indicator.

One concern (beyond all the others) is that Sony (IMO) does not have a good history with its image processing. High ISO on the DSLRs is, from what I've read, not anywhere near the competition. .

Not even with EXMOR?:confused:

Not even with EXMOR?:confused:

Just going on what I've read. Here's what DPreview just wrote about the A850 (basically the same as the A900):

Noise reduction settings applied to raw as well as JPEG files - cannot be 'turned off for raw but left on for JPEGs' (as is normal practice)

Relatively high levels of noise at anything over ISO 400 (ISO 6400 is of very, very limited use)

JPEGs a little soft by default (some loss of detail due to NR visible even at ISO 200) - you really need to shoot raw (and use ACR or similar) to get the best out of the sensor

And their compacts have been receiving really mixed reviews. I know because I've twice thought about replacing my wife's old sony p&s with a new one and have been reading.

Mind you, these cameras are not the same as the NEX. But I'm just saying that Sony seems to love to throw on the features and the megapixels and neglect the actual image quality on a regular basis.

There's hardly any correlation between the ISO performance of a manufacturer's compact and FF sensors compared to their APS-C. Check out the A550's low light ISO rating on DxO Mark, nearly as good as the Pentax K-x and the reviews agree that the A550 is quite good in the dark. Does the IQ of Nikon compacts reflect on the D90 or D5000?

I expect the NEX series will have a 14mp sensor similar to the A550's, which would make it very good indeed (noticeably better than the Samsung sensor in the NX10). Remember that right now all the APS-C cameras with the best high ISO performance use Sony sensors...

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, I may have heard from a pretty reliable source that Sony is not releasing the NEX just yet because they don't want to have lens production issues and availability issues like Olympus is currently having, and also presumably Panasonic with their µ4/3 lenses.
So until Sony can produce what they consider enough, it will not be produced.
I take this to mean that they have a production body ready, just not enough supply for the expected demand.

If anyone is interested, I may have heard from a pretty reliable source that Sony is not releasing the NEX just yet because they don't want to have lens production issues and availability issues like Olympus is currently having, and also presumably Panasonic with their µ4/3 lenses.
So until Sony can produce what they consider enough, it will not be produced.
I take this to mean that they have a production body ready, just not enough supply for the expected demand.

Who is your reliable source? That does not make any sense in camera manufacturing. Cameras cost to much to produce to place them on hold. A hold only makes sense if there are no cameras, except on paper.

new A550 (which shares the same sensor of the future nex5) has the higher iq in high iso in its class...

my A900 (though not a high iso beast) can be used very well at higher sensivites:

a900, raw only processed with lightroom3beta (no noise reduction software):

1/13 f2.8 ISO 4000

4000e.jpg

I work at a camera sales company that has Sony representatives come in every now and then, not saying it's true, but I trust him.
It makes sense in my mind that you would want to build a level of stock up before trying to sell something so that it is not sold out everywhere, it would be considered a complete supply failure if you released 1000 cameras (a low extreme example) for a mass market audience.

Back