Sony NEX3 and NEX5 EVIL cameras with new E-mount

If it has zero shutter lag and a way to make it do what I want, similar to Ricoh's snap mode (prefocused at like 6 feet) it might work. Don't want to futz with a touch screen while I'm shooting but if I could pre-program some modes I like then fine.

I like the little 16mm lens and don't have any interest in using old lenses with adapters that make them 1.whatever x their focal length.

If it has zero shutter lag and a way to make it do what I want, similar to Ricoh's snap mode (prefocused at like 6 feet) it might work. Don't want to futz with a touch screen while I'm shooting but if I could pre-program some modes I like then fine.

I like the little 16mm lens and don't have any interest in using old lenses with adapters that make them 1.whatever x their focal length.

I am right there with you. If this camera has zero shutter lag and some sort of snap mode or manual pre-focus mode like my Ricoh GRDII, then this is a no brainer for me. If I can get great results at higher ISO's and set this thing up to shoot like my Ricoh, then this would be perfect for me.

I'm somewhat disappointed with it right now, but that may change in time. I was, naively, expecting Sony to really step up with a camera aimed a bit more at the enthusiast rather than the point-and-shoot crowd. The E-PL1 is still much more appealing to me both in terms of design and usability.

...Had a think any Sony clearly couldnt put a hot shoe on the camera as they have the minolta awkward mount and it wouldnt allow it to use standard VFs.

This way they can make expensive little adapters for anything to fit.

It also opens up the chance for someone somewhere to make a cold shoe adapter for it!

And how do you spell OPPORTUNITY.....;)

B2 (;->

hmm

hmm

In ten years, we're going to need hand's adapter because the camera will be sooo small ;p

Anyway, this seems to be a great camera. The only thing that bother me is the 60i... why not a 30p ? or 24p? The people want to put it on the internet on youtube or else...they will need to de-interlace the footage... And not a lot of common persons knows how to do it correctly...

Cheer...

Cool lookin' little thing. I'll reserve judgment on usability until I get the thing in my hands but the touch screen makes me nervous. :(

Was at a house party the other day discussing cameras and a girl asked if I had a nikon as thats what she has used and stated that the reason she liked it was because of all the modes it has. when I explained my new camera has just two dials for aperture and shutter speeds she looked like I just tried to explain nuclear fission to her.

It strikes me that being sniffy about how few controls your camera has is just as silly as been sniffy about how many it has. And why is it always a girl in these scenarios?

Decent lenses that aren't the size of coke cans.

bigger the sensor, bigger the lens.

reviewer in CNET video also gave hints about adapter options for the camera, so, interesting. though camera controls seems to be made so "auto-everything", that wonder how usable would it be with some manual lens adapted to it :confused:

Looks like a great point and shoot.

I do question the size of lenses. Can someone explain to me why my Contax T2 with a 2.8/38mm full frame Sonnar lens can be so compact and why the pancake lens on this camera looks so huge?

Last edited:
16mm prime for Sonys camera does not look that big either.

according to DPreview, Sony already provides adapters for Alpha lenses.

A mount adapter will be available, giving the ability to use Sony and Minolta Alpha-mount lenses. The LA-EA1 adapter will have a motor to control the lens aperture but nothing to driving the autofocus (they can't currently focus SSM and SAM lenses with built-in focus motors either).

Looks like a great point and shoot.

I do question the size of lenses. Can someone explain to me why my Contax T3 with a 2.8/38mm full frame Sonnar lens can be so compact and why the pancake lens on this camera looks so huge?

AF motor?
in-lens stabilization?

The small Contax T2 (mistakenly typed T3) has autofocus and I don't believe that the pancake lens has stabilization.

The 9.4" close focus certainly bests the T3. They made the focus and iris motors silent. Perhaps these items make for a much greater girth.

The reviews that I read don't seem to rave about the optics of any of these lenses, but time will tell.

For the most part, these cameras are not marketed for the pleasure of the members of this forum, but rather are marketed as a point and shoot upgrade.

Last edited:
Sony's first EVIL cameras are rumored to be announced on May 11...

14MP APS-C CMOS sensor
200-12800 ISO
RAW support
920k dot, 16:9, 3" touchscreen & tiltable LCD
11 AF points
MP4 and AVCHD video (NEX3: 720p, NEX5: 1080p)
external flash
no in-body IS

First lenses are:
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
16mm f/2.8 IS

Check out the full specs at:
http://sonyalpharumors.com/

This forum might need to be renamed :D

they were on display at PMA in Feb, but details were scarce.

Stephen

then, have no answer :) perhaps Sony has missed something ? :p

My suspicion is that the old film cameras had pretty poor lenses, but nobody knew because pixel-peeping wasn't a possibility. Maybe the new lens is indeed better, but it just has to be larger for the quality to be possible.

On a related note, I was disappointed with the lenses for the original 4/3 cameras. Take a look at the Summilux-25mm compared to the film equivalent, the Summilux 50. You would expect "smaller sensor" to mean "smaller lens."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/509320258/

It's huge! Recently, more pancake lenses have appeared for 4/3 and m-4/3, but there's nothing like a 50/1.4 equivalent yet.

Back