Sony NEX3 and NEX5 EVIL cameras with new E-mount

it's official!!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5A.HTM

they are... small!!!

ZCOMPGF1FRONT.JPG

I'm excited, and let down!

all i want is a viewfinder.....it can be optical, I loved having it on the G10.
I was ALMOST totally turned off by the camera and the lack of buttons until I saw that the control panel has a scroll wheel (think Canon, Canon, Canon) and two assignable buttons.

whats the deal with mirrorless cameras coming WITHOUT a flash. Sure, for the most part the built in flash is mediocre at best but I would love to have it AND the option to mount a secondary flash on the hotshoe.

also.....this camera should ship with a pancake prime.

but......this camera is not meant for you and me.....this is meant to hit a wider audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
also....call me crazy, but I totally HATE the idea of articulated screens. its one more thing to possibly break. I know that the lack of it limits the possible usability of the device but I firmly believe that the less moving parts the exterior has the less there is to break or snap off as you quickly dive for your camera thats deep in your bag buried under a sweater, another camera, books, whatever. I dont treat my cameras like crap but I also treat them as tools not objects of lust.

Well, let's see how it performs, but it is definitely very close to what a camera body needs to be - a black box to hold the film (sensor on this case) ...

But I do not really see the point of making the camera body smaller than the lens. If Sony does not plan to provide a selection of compact prime lenses then the body size is just a joke.

BTW, it/they have a pancake prime (16mm), attachable flash (not powerful and not hotshoe, but supplied with camera) and an optical finder.

Was debating between waiting for this camera and buying the E-P2. Glad I chose the E-P2 instead, but of course time will tell!

massive disappointment to me. The 24mm lens sounds great and its a tiny camera with big sensor but no hot-shoe and no manual control dials, big let down. its clearly designed for the average consumer and not a photographer.

Was at a house party the other day discussing cameras and a girl asked if I had a nikon as thats what she has used and stated that the reason she liked it was because of all the modes it has. when I explained my new camera has just two dials for aperture and shutter speeds she looked like I just tried to explain nuclear fission to her.

I just want the shutter knob, an aperture control / dial and some AF. Is that so hard to ask?

Apparently, outside of Leica, it is too much to ask. This sony seems to be the worst yet for lack of controls... unless I'm missing something.

Prices are £449 for nex3 and £549 for nex5 with 16mm pancake on each.
Had a think any Sony clearly couldnt put a hot shoe on the camera as they have the minolta awkward mount and it wouldnt allow it to use standard VFs.

This way they can make expensive little adapters for anything to fit.

Sony's website makes a pitch for zero shutter lag, which would be huge if it is true. That and the miniscule weight and size would make it appealing for some situations.
But the lack of manual controls/VF and fast prime make it a disappointment...
We will ever get an affordable dSLR-quality compact with VF and manual controls and fast AF?!?

I do really like what I've seen so far. And with a flange back distance of 18mm, it should be possible to make adapters for all kind of classic lenses. The only disappointment so far is the lack of a normal hotshoe. But that was something I was already expecting.

Back