Sony RX1R II announced

Checked this camera out at the Photo Expo this weekend. It is really very nice. Fast AF, pop-up EVF stays in place while resting your eye against it, and quiet.

Anyone get delivery of one in the last week or two? I know there are rumors of a production / sales halt in Japan and there aren't any available in the US, but... no real story from Sony.

I got the chance to play with it. Lovely files, but horrible barrel distortion. Focus is mostly quick, files are prettier than you'd think, handling is mostly crap, and the evf isn't so useful in practice for me (too small, the camera is a little light to be steady). But it's so well made, and the leaf shutter is so lovely. Still, the distortion really does bother me.

No quality issues using the lens corrections on the original RX1R. I have not had a chance to play with the II files to confirm this. The lens is the same anyway.

Using uncompressed raw, I don't think lens corrections are baked-in. Maybe there was a setting that I missed.

I don't mean to say that it's not an amazing camera, or that the results aren't beautiful. Just some small things bothered me, like the focus operation. I like to set my focus to the AF/AE button on the back, and I was able to do this by enabling manual-focus mode. But that removed the AF reticule from the center of the frame. No way to de-couple AF from the shutter release in the standard AF-S mode. It's as well made a camera as I've encountered in the digital era, and the files can be downright dreamy.

I'm so excited to get mine, and keep waiting... but no delivery date in site. I think it is an amazing camera ...

Back