Street Photographer Mentor (s) Wanted

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
12:37 AM
Frank Jackson is spread too thin on his current projects and so has to pull back on his mentoring in the Street Photography forum.

Who would like to take over leadership in the Street Photography forum?

We could have more than one.

Qualifications include lots of enthusiasm, knowledge, and great street photography to show you know what you are talking about.

If interested, explain why this appeals to you and why you will do a good job of it.

Those who gave up street photography for painting need not apply (that's a joke, if you get it).

Many Thanks,
Stephen

I wonder if this is one of those things that can't be taught? Well, maybe it can. Seems mostly learn by doing, though. f/8 and be there.

I meet the qualifications. For further proof, I offer up the fact that I spend money and time I don't have on street photography.

Other than have conversations and spend time normal human beings expend on relationships on thinking about street/daily life photography, what would be expected of me in order to be helpful?

https://www.colincorneau.com/story-of-the-street
IG: @winnipegdiary and @reservedatalltimes

I wonder if this is one of those things that can't be taught? Well, maybe it can. Seems mostly learn by doing, though. f/8 and be there.

Perhaps curated - and critiqued --

An art that favors the prepared mind, Journalism is a good start, the art may come --

J

I nominate Helen.

I agree with Huss here: Helen is the one for sure.

hmmm, I suspect the head Bartender sent You a PM about me...

Thanks for the nomination, Huss & Raid, very kind indeed !
We will have NO MAIL IN BALLOTS here , LOL<

I'm sure someone will step up to the plate and inspire us...Colin has and will do Grand, I’m sure

No reaction here to Colin volunteering? I think we should be very lucky if he does it. And maybe the scope of the forum could be expanded to include all social documentary photography?

No reaction here to Colin volunteering? I think we should be very lucky if he does it. And maybe the scope of the forum could be expanded to include all social documentary photography?

Thanks very much. I think more than one person doing this or lending a constructive, informed opinion would be the most helpful for the most people.

I meet the qualifications. For further proof, I offer up the fact that I spend money and time I don't have on street photography.

Other than have conversations and spend time normal human beings expend on relationships on thinking about street/daily life photography, what would be expected of me in order to be helpful?

Welcome Colin,

Before working towards new directions, I want to see who else will be on this project.

Stephen

Corneau for president of the Street Photography Forum!

Seriously though, he is a wealth of knowledge and experience

Embarrassed to say I wasn’t familiar with Colin Corneau’s work. But just had a look at his website; I think he will be an excellent person for the forum.

Thanks for volunteering, Colin, and good luck.

If you must be augmented by another to keep this going, I hope it operates like a good jazz duo (Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden; Bill Evans/Jim Hall) who serve the theme and support one another’s improvisations.

Mainly I hope that the yet-to-be-decided mentor(s) will emulate Bill Pierce, rather than the all-too-common RFF pattern where someone (notable, talented, much-caressed, etc.) is elevated to A Mentorship—and promptly vanishes to another universe but keeps the ceremonial title here, while the threads slip, lose way, fray, and overall contributions dwindle. Week after week month after month, Bill Pierce takes time to outline or propose or elucidate something worth talking about photographically, and at the end (always!) asks, “Your thoughts?” And people respond.

Be Like Bill, that’s my lapel button for this and other RFF mentorships.

And I’m with Retinax—why not widen the scope. Not everyone who photographs with a candid, cultural, social- documentary eye has the luxury of metropolitan streets with a million passersby. Good luck!

Colin - great you've taken up the "challenge". I've seen several of your images over at Photrio and really appreciated them

Good luck Colin. Am looking forward to some interesting discussions.
I see you are a fellow Canuck, but from a cooler part of the country.
Fortunately I had the good sense to move from Calgary to southern Vancouver Island in 78. :cool:

We also share an interest in what I call exotic street. In the sixties I caught the travel bug and often found myself wandering off the beaten track in places like Afghanistan, India and Nepal. I may have looked like a Hippie back then but my shoulder bag carried Leicas and lenses.

Hope to share more of my vintage images when I’m able. Am getting on in years and with poor health had to call it quits on exotic travel after last trip to India in 2012.

I started a thread in the street forum quite a while back called Time Travel where I posted a series of India photos spanning 42 years. Unfortunately I never completed the thread. The best has yet to be posted.

Cheers, Glenn

Back