Leica LTM Summar of Love (Leitz Summar Sample Pics)

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
The Summar has a bad reputation because so many of them have been destroyed due to careless cleaning of their soft front element, along w/ the effects of haze over many decades. If you get a good one they are surprisingly easy to open and clean. I really wish I hadn't sold the one that made those photos. It was also the first lens I'd ever opened and cleaned. These were shot w/ a Bessa R3A.

4951540701_812a9d4a7f_b.jpg

4951540711_efe335724d_b.jpg

Thanks, mine does have some cleaning marks on the front though. And I've had to re-lube the aperture ring. I bought one just because of its characteristics to get close to the feel of the 1940s images.
It doesn't get enough use though ;)

HK100820.jpg

GREAT shot Erik....Love the Reflections in the Car windows
and them Spotting YOU

Beautiful Lush Greens w/ the Summar Greyelm

as usual tres Retro Cool Mr Fibble

Cheers- H :)

Wow - lots of great shots. Sold mine a bit back to fund some other purchases (plus I don't want to go down that slippery "Leica slope"...) Plus I didn't get on with the FSU camera it was bolted to... Whoever on this thread said that the Summar "looks like memories" was spot on. Also, it proves that sharpness isn't everything... overrated even. This lens would fail any lens test of test patterns miserably - yet it renders beautiful "memories". Anyone looking for a lens with "signature" - this is it. No mistaking a shot taken with a Summar.

Love the Summar with my Bessa R2, collapses completely, and the TTL meter and proper finder help my composition. The Summar makes highlights brighter and shadows darker, and is capable of incredible sharpness. A lens with a real signature.

5123721139_a7dea627ed_z.jpg

Just shot my first roll with a RFF purchased Summar. Slightly hazed, but I'm digging the results.

Portra 160 + Summar:

is there any particular summar type that gives those nice signatured photos? I think there are various types of summars. Are they all giving nice results?

I wasn't aware there were different versions (in terms of optical design) for the Summar? I believe mine is from 1937.

there is like a type with a black rim for example. I was just wondering if they have different optical designs and signatures.

There is one extraordinarily rare tropical version that has a different optical formula, with one extra element. Otherwise, I'd say they're optically all the same.

The key is getting one that is clean and unscratched.

Back