Super Angulon 3,4/21mm

I still have my 21/3.4. I have a bunch of other 21's (VC/ZM/Ricoh) that gets used more often. The optical quality of the newer lenses is better, but the 21 S-A has a special place with me. I started using it in the early 60's - first the f4 version (not a great lens) and then later the 3.4.
So, it might have a bit softening in the edges at 3.4, but the centre sharpness is still something else. It does have a signature of its own. You can spot the shots done with it on the light table!
It still can drive you nuts with the hood cramping the aperture ring, but I am used to it by now. My current 21/3,4 is a very late version - probably one of the last 100 to be made (#2 917099) which puts it at 1979/80.
Stick it on a M2 and load up with tri X and it is an instant "retro" to the 60's.

It's my 21mm lens of choice. It has the same personality as the pre-asph 35 summilux. My kind of lenses.

Have owned a 21mm SA since the late sixties and it's become one of my favorite lenses. Have gotten some amazing shots with it and even sold one for a magazine cover.

Only draw backs I found were occasional flare, and incompatability with the M5.

Glenn

As Ned says ! The 21mm SA-M is my favorite WA lens together with the 35 Summilux pre-ASPH, too. Very sharp and unique rendering.

One of my photos with the Super-Angulon-M: (M4-P Tmax 400 old)

2049118633_d594373a36.jpg

Doug: Thank you ! Wait, until Ned finds the thread ... He took some really good photos with that lens. :cool:

Erik: Buying the Super-Angulon-M from you was a good decision ! :D:p

Edit: Ned had posted already in this thread ....

Last edited:
I bought my Super-Angulon two times!...I sold it first because of the new Asph. 21...and 2 years later I bought it again...:p...

Thanks for the nice storys and pictures....:)

regards,
Jan

Tom A, could you comment on the signature difference between the SA 21/3.4 and the ZI 21/4.5? I've always favored the 21/3.4 imaging but would also prefer TTL metering and less light falloff.

awilder said:
Tom A, could you comment on the signature difference between the SA 21/3.4 and the ZI 21/4.5? I've always favored the 21/3.4 imaging but would also prefer TTL metering and less light falloff.
Your best bet is going to Flickr and type in the tags "Leica Super Angulon 21,, f3.4" and "Zeiss biogon 21mm f4.5". You will see a fair bit of stuff done with these lenses.
The Biogon 21mm f4.5 has less distorsion than the 21 S-A and more even rendition. The edge fall off is less too.
The S-A has a look all its own though. remarkable center sharpness and the vignetting/edge fall off tends to "center" the view a bit.
As for resolution, I suspect that the Boigon might resolve a bit more, but both lenses will allow you to print 24x36" prints with no visible loss of sharpness.
The Biogon is also less flare sensitive than the S-A. For a metered camera M5/M6/MP etc, the 21mm f4.5 is more convinient, but if you already have the 21 S-A, I would suggest that you get a 2nd body (M2-M3) and dedicate it to the S-A instead!

I had a Super Angulon 21mm/3.4 for a couple years but found it too soft for my taste, so when I got a Biogon ZM 21mm/2.8, I sold it on eBay (to a Wall Street Journal editor). The Biogon is sharper, faster and has less light fall off, but is much bigger than the little Super Angulon. The f/2.8 aperture makes shooting a 21mm handheld indoors quite practical.

Back