Super Angulon 3,4/21mm

endustry said:
So I bit the bullet and got an SA f/3.4 mainly for use w/ my M8. Time to find my VC Meter II!

Congrats ! :) Since your M8 has a LCD screen, would it be usable to check for correct exposure ?

Sea ice ... with the Super-Angulon

Sea ice ... with the Super-Angulon

Leica M4-P / red-filter (from Leica, no idea which type, 3 stops corrected by estimation) Kodak Plux-X125 (developed in XTOL and not carefully scanned ...)

2264559992_e669426ba0.jpg

:):) Thanks ! The photo was taken in the North-East of Hokkaido (Abashiri) , Japan, last Monday. It is a 5 hours trip by train from Sapporo, where I live, to Abashiri but worth seeing the sea-ice. Usually quite cold there (down to -20 degrees) and windy but I was lucky having some nice weather.

cheers,

maddoc

Yep, the outer Helmholtz plane must look different but not that different ... ;)

Super-Angulon-M ...

Super-Angulon-M ...

... and M4-P (Kodak 400UC). I developed for the first time C41 myself...:)

I finally got the 21/4.5 ZM. It's got the similar magic imagery as the 21/3.4 but sharpness is extended across most of the frame plus far less light fall off, smaller size and TTL metering. The only drawback is less speed.

Ive tried all the Leica 21's (except the SA f4) and certainly the f3.4 is the most compact and the most character of Leicas 21's. In its era the late 60's and 70's its a phenomenal lens, but I couldn't embrace the SA 3.4 with its light falloff, just too great even by 21 standards. I found the ASPH disappointing at 2.8 so much so I thought my example was faulty only to learn it wasn't. The 60mm filter size of the pre-ash was just a bit too much when I switched to CLE's so I found the Voigtlander the best option. Less fall off than the SA, greater resolution than the pre-ASPH Elmarit with less distortion and able to match the ASPH one stop down. Only the new Biogon 4.5 could tempt me away but its hard to pass up having a 21, 28, 40, 90, 135 all with 39mm filters.

I use to own the VC 21/4. Nice and compact at a great price but the ZM 21/4.5 is a notch or two better and more flare resistant in adverse lighting.

I've been thinking about getting a Super Angulon for my M2. I've found the results from them simply stunning: those posted above and those in "Leica M Photography" by Bower. Does anyone have any advice on the relative merits of the F4 version vs. the F3.4 version? Maybe I should consider an early Elmarit since the prices are somewhat similar (I think)?

When I decided to buy the Super-Angulon, I did some research on both versions (the older f/4.0 - as I remember an LTM lens - and the f/3.4 in M-mount) Nearly all opinions were, that the f/3.4 is quite a step above the older f/4.0 version. Also, prices for f/4.0 are quite high, it is more a collector's choice.

My copy of the lens looks quite worn, many scratches on the barrel and the aperture ring gets sticky around f/4.0 and f/3.4 but the optics is superb and and I really love the lens. :)

Cheers,

maddoc

My first photo with the M8 and the Super-Angulon 21/3.4. I quite like this shot.

BTW, no sharpening applied to it (Click on the photo to see a larger version of it).

Max

Last edited:
I tried a couple of times ... Shooting from the hip works quite well with the 21mm but using the integrated VF for framing is to much "guess-work" (and a low rate of photos worth to keep).

My first photo with the M8 and the Super-Angulon 21/3.4. I quite like this shot.

BTW, no sharpening applied to it (Click on the photo to see a larger version of it).

Max

This is a nice one ! I like the lighting and contrast. What aperture was it roughly ?

This is a nice one ! I like the lighting and contrast. What aperture was it roughly ?

I am pretty sure it was wide open at 3,4.

Thanks for the comment.

PS: in post #35, I asked if it was possible to mount the Super-Angulon on the Zeiss Ikon, I can now confirm that it is NOT possible.

Last edited:
PS: in post #35, I asked if it was possible to mount the Super-Angulon on the Zeiss Ikon, I can now confirm that it is NOT possible.

Physically not possible (will be something hit inside) or just metering doesn't work (as in the case of Leica M6 or newer) ?

One more in color:

99455329.jpg

Back