PKR

Mentor
Local time
5:21 AM
Photographer Terry Richardson Banned by Top Magazines

From PetaPixel
Oct 24, 2017
Michael Zhang

"Fashion photographer Terry Richardson has been banned from shooting for a number of leading magazines including Vogue, GQ, Glamour, and Vanity Fair.

The Daily Telegraph learned of the ban from a leaked email that circulated on Monday within Condé Nast International, which owns some of the most famous magazine titles in the world."

More:
https://petapixel.com/2017/10/24/photographer-terry-richardson-banned-top-magazines/

Another:

Why is Terry Richardson, who shot Miley Cyrus’s Wrecking Ball video, still feted by fashionistas?

"Terry Richardson, known for his sexually explicit pictures, is being called the ‘Harvey Weinstein of fashion’ after a string of allegations by models"

"A renowned photographer who has been the subject of widespread allegations of sexually abusing models over many years is still lauded by many in the industry, despite gaining a reputation as the Harvey Weinstein of fashion.

Terry Richardson, who last month attended shows at New York’s fashion week and was seen arm in arm with Edward Enninful, the new editor of British Vogue, at the Valentino resort collection in May, remains a friend of the designers Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs and the television presenter Martha Stewart."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...l-video-still-feted-by-fashionistas-0bmqg5xtk

I think the "Fashion World" is as bad, or worse, than Hollywood when it comes to Weinstein like behavior.

Just heard the ABC (US) National News. And, the Terry Richardson story is being covered. It said there was some current court action against him. No details given.

Terry has $ millions, he says. Could be in court for a long time. Lots of opportunity for press converge.

This guy has been sexually harassing and even sexually assaulting models for YEARS and now, finally, they decide to cut him off? Should have happened years ago.

This guy has been sexually harassing and even sexually assaulting models for YEARS and now, finally, they decide to cut him off? Should have happened years ago.

Many models complained and documented the attacks. Nothing happened. Vogue and Vanity Fair continued to hire him for huge money.

Now, it's become a problem, as the complaints have traction in the MSM. I hope they clean him out of cash. The guy is a total AH (my opinion), and bragged of his misdeeds.

The people at Conde' Nast, and other publications, are to blame too, for continuing to employ him, knowing what a predator he is.

Many models complained and documented the attacks. Nothing happened. Vogue and Vanity Fair continued to hire him for huge money.

Now, it's become a problem, as the complaints have traction in the MSM. I hope they clean him out of cash. The guy is a total AH (my opinion), and bragged of his misdeeds.

The people at Conde' Nast, and other publications, are to blame too, for continuing to employ him, knowing what a predator he is.

It's sleazy and accepted in some quarters sadly. An Australian model has come out recently and said that when she was seventeen she was modelling swimwear and was told that if she allowed the photographers to watch her getting changed she would get a lot more work. She kept this to herself for years but like a lot of females she decided to divulge the behaviour courtesy of feeling empowered by seeing the likes of Weinstein getting his comeuppance.

I was wondering if this would happen. His "secret" is so open that I knew as an amateur photographer who never came in contact with him nor has gone into an even vaguely similar realm of photography. Hell, I learned about it before I saw a photo of his.

Yep, I blame this magazine company for being responsible too... since they were afraid to blacklist him until the Weinstein thing finally broke... CYA only on the part of Conde Nast. :mad:

It's sleazy and accepted in some quarters sadly. An Australian model has come out recently and said that when she was seventeen she was modelling swimwear and was told that if she allowed the photographers to watch her getting changed she would get a lot more work. She kept this to herself for years but like a lot of females she decided to divulge the behaviour courtesy of feeling empowered by seeing the likes of Weinstein getting his comeuppance.

Yep. Unfortunately a lot of the girls are seeking fame and the dollars. Some go along with the BS, a lot don't but just bear it (they know how to say no)..and a minority get sucked into the filth of the industry and regret it.
The fashion industry and all that hang of it are totally into, as the saying goes.. "sex, drugs and rock n roll".
I was exposed to the industry at a young age and worked in it for many years, and the one thing that never changes is that there is a line-up of young girls ready to jump on the train.
Sexual harassment was, is and always will be there...the industry thrives on it.

My fashion blogger gal was shot by Terry Richardson for a Valentino eyewear campaign last year. Ironically this was right after New York Magazine ran an article exposing accusations of Terry Richardson being a sexual predator.

I know friends of Terry Richardson who fiercely defend him. One of our fashion friends who had a boutique on the Bowelry knows Terry Richardson because he either lives or has a studio nearby.

I find it amusing how Conde Nast publications featured that Valentino ad campaign. This was only last year. Shame on you Conde Nast. Why only now is it timely to respond?

Back when I was in my early 20's I was harrassed sexually when working in an office enviornment as a technical writer when I worked at Grumman, a Fortune 500 Company that was the fourth largest military contractor at that time during the Cold War.

For me, a person of color, getting a great job that offered all kinds of benefits and opportunities, was making it big time and I knew enough not to blow it with meaningless sex. I was married with little kids at the time, with a picture of my wife clearly displayed on my desk.

I took notice of the sound of pens dropping on a desk that kinda rolled like the surf along water's edge whenever I walked to the bathroom. Meanwhile I would see all the young women looking up from their desks. It did not take long to understand that the dropping of the pens was a signal among the women that I was walking by. I'm pretty sure the culture eventually became understood by every one in the building, because the cascade of pens became rather obvious.

Then there were these advances, where young girls were asking me to go to a bar for a drink on Thursday, which was payday. No did not mean no, because they would ask again. One girl with a chubby chest leaned over my desk to offer a view down her shirt. My boss from his desk could also see, and later asked me why I did not take the invite. When I told him it is because I was married, he suggested that this girl was a good lay, and that he had first hand experience. My boss was married BTW.

I understand the anger these women are expressing today. I'm still really pissed off that I had to endure this abuse. Worst off it was condoned. People were allowed to mess with my career, my reputation, and my marrage and kids. There was a lack of respect, but I had too much self respect to be exploited. This job was important to me, but I ended up transfering to research.

I say Brad Pitt should of given Harvey the Pig a savage beating way back when. If I was a juror, and Brad Pitt was being accused of assalt, I know I would argue not guilty. This kind of crap has been going on for decades, and people condone it.

Again shame on you Conde Nast. You suck.

Cal

Wow, took them long enough to blackball Terry Richardson for being a sexual predator. His photography was a one trick pony.

Yep. Unfortunately a lot of the girls are seeking fame and the dollars. Some go along with the BS, a lot don't but just bear it (they know how to say no)..and a minority get sucked into the filth of the industry and regret it.
The fashion industry and all that hang of it are totally into, as the saying goes.. "sex, drugs and rock n roll".
I was exposed to the industry at a young age and worked in it for many years, and the one thing that never changes is that there is a line-up of young girls ready to jump on the train.
Sexual harassment was, is and always will be there...the industry thrives on it.

In my case it was just trying to do my job and keep it. Women are not the only ones being harassed.

Also when in Grad School I was being harassed by a fellow student who was gay. I tried to ignore advances and rude remarks, but it got so bad I had to express a formal complaint, where I almost had this jerk expelled. Pretty much I had no choice.

What I didn't report is this surprise advance from a professor I T.A.'ed for. I suddenly was surprised when an invite to lunch suddenly became a date.

This kinda stuff is rampant.

I am still pissed. The law did little to protect me from this abuse.

Cal

not happy until richardson is in jail, and there's some kind of punishment for conde nast and other fashion publications who hired him.

not happy until richardson is in jail, and there's some kind of punishment for conde nast and other fashion publications who hired him.

From my limited experience in the fashion world (assisting for a guy who did fashion work), many models complained about sexual advances from other women in power positions. These weren't photographers but, women who were high up in marketing or executives in the women's clothing business. I would say that from what I remember it was about 50% women, who held jobs over the heads of models.

I remember one model who was made to disrobe in front of a film crew as a show of power by her employer (big department store). She was worried about paying her rent, as they used her regularly and, she depended on the money.

The photo was a bedding shot, where only her shoulders needed to be bare. Lots of power crazy people in the fashion business. I don't know why but, it seems worse than in other endeavors. Similar to the feature film business I guess.

From my limited experience in the fashion world (assisting for a guy who did fashion work), many models complained about sexual advances from other women in power positions. These weren't photographers but, women who were high up in marketing or executives in the women's clothing business. I would say that from what I remember it was about 50% women, who held jobs over the heads of models.

I remember one model who was made to disrobe in front of a film crew as a show of power by her employer (big department store). She was worried about paying her rent, as they used her regularly and, she depended on the money.

The photo was a bedding shot, where only her shoulders needed to be bare. Lots of power crazy people in the fashion business. I don't know why but, it seems worse than in other endeavors. Similar to the feature film business I guess.

PKR,

I think you are onto something. It is an abuse of power. Basically the powerful over the powerless.

Not sure the powereful will get punished. Some people get a get out of jail free card.

You are right about there are crazy people out there. I witnessed this male model being groped by a woman at a fashion event in public. The man was an older guy and in the hand out was a shot of him sporting his six pack. This woman a fashion blogger was feeling his stomach and chest. Turned my stomach.

Basically just happened a few weeks ago at an event. Now if I thought of the role reversal if a man was groping a female he didn't know and just met in public. The model had too much manners to have made a scene, but I would have yelled, "Keep your hands off me you..."

This kinda stuff is not just bad boundries, it is a total loss of respect.

Cal

PKR,

I think you are onto something. It is an abuse of power. Basically the powerful over the powerless.

Not sure the powereful will get punished. Some people get a get out of jail free card.

You are right about there are crazy people out there. I witnessed this male model being groped by a woman at a fashion event in public. The man was an older guy and in the hand out was a shot of him sporting his six pack. This woman a fashion blogger was feeling his stomach and chest. Turned my stomach.

Basically just happened a few weeks ago at an event. Now if I thought of the role reversal if a man was groping a female he didn't know and just met in public. The model had too much manners to have made a scene, but I would have yelled, "Keep your hands off me you..."

This kinda stuff is not just bad boundries, it is a total loss of respect.

Cal

Cal;
I think it's been going on for so long that it's the norm for that business environment. When I saw the Weinstein thing in the news, I wasn't at all surprised by his behavior but, by the fact that the Media turned on him. As for the actors and politicians saying they new nothing of his sexual ugliness, I think they are either as dumb as we think some are, or, they are simply lying.

I've had some minor stuff happen. Both times by women AD executives who worked on airline accounts. Two different airline clients, both international airlines. I politely refused in both cases, explaining that my then girlfriend wouldn't think it was a great idea. In one case, I lost the account, in the other, nothing more was said and, I continued to work for the Big Chicago agency.

I'll bet the theater/live stage world is full of this stuff too.

Back