That Nikkormat FTn.

Ugh… no time for shooting this week as I am behind schedule with the garden and post-Winter storm weather clean up…

Maybe, just maybe by the weekend I will take off for a short motorcycle run with the FTN.😇

Bean Hollow State Beach, Pescadero, CA. Nikkormat FTn, Nikkor 105mm f2.5, TMax 400:

Rocks and Reflection by Steve Macfarlane, on Flickr
I love your pictures because of a certain level of graphic abstraction, very interesting.
PS: I'm not sure "graphic abstraction" are the correct words but I did not find batter ones in my english vocabulary, hope you understand what I mean :)

I love your pictures because of a certain level of graphic abstraction, very interesting.
PS: I'm not sure "graphic abstraction" are the correct words but I did not find batter ones in my english vocabulary, hope you understand what I mean :)
Thank you, Robert. I think you're seeing what I'm trying to create/convey here, so that's very gratifying. I like the phrase "graphic abstraction."

I had two FTNs for many years. I loved them and I used them a lot. One traveled all over the world with me, especially to Southeast Asia where it went in my backpack and got bounced around like, well, everything does in one's backpack. Once I inadvertently left it on the seat of a bus I was on in Indonesia. The conductor ran back and handed it to me. I had just enough time to tip him the equivalent of $5 (it was the first money I pulled out of my pocket and I handed it to him) before he ran back to his bus and the vehicle sped off.

In time I got sick of damaging fingernails to adjust the ISO and I had the usual GAS symptoms we all do at times (or inevitably), and sold them off for two Els. These were an improvement over the FTNs in every way but I never quite bonded with them, probably due to the increased weight and the size. They worked well for about a decade until I got a second attack of the must-buys and put them on the shelf for a pair of FT2s which I still own, but sadly, hardly ever use, given that the world is now 99.5% digital and the insane cost of film in Australia.

I see FTNs floating around on Ebay at prices ranging from $25 to $500 (the latter being definitely the triumph of stupidity over hope), and I do wonder why so many of them end up being listed at such low prices. Going by friends who've bought on Ebay, the quality is variable, and about 50% get returned as the sellers either did not describe them properly or made false claims.

Personally, given the ridiculously low prices at the lower end of the Ebay sale market for FTNs, I would never sell my Nikons for so little.

As I usually point out to the Ebay buyers I know, when you decide to put your money into a camera aged between 50 and 60 years, the trick money you believe you are buying may well turn out to be a lame duck.

Back