That Nikkormat FTn.

Lovely images.

Time to plan a walkabout today. The loneliness and isolation is miserable and I can not bear it anymore.

So, two bags. Outfitted. Ready to go. 🙂

In the newer military green bag, the Nikkormat awaits my shooting the remaining unexposed frames of TMax 100.

In the brown bag, one of the FTN’s grandchildren (?), the black FE2 loaded with Legacy Pro 100 also awaits.

I need to get busy!IMG_4807.jpeg

Well, now, I’m back. 🙂

I decided to go to the old mill and finish both rolls of film. Beautiful day, maybe a little warmer than I prefer, but it was nice to be walking around with the FTN and the FE2. One in the bag and the other in my hand with a Gordy wrist strap.

I actually prefer the wrist strap on these Nikon cameras… personal preference.🤷🏼‍♂️

The M2 has the silk A&A strap and I use it all the time as it just seems to work better than the wrist straps, perhaps because of the weight balance points with the 50 Summilux attached.

Nice day overall. 👍

No reminder needed here. How many of us actually spent the weekend shooting a Nikkormat? I did. And I hope with all the stress in the world around us, that more of us will continue shooting whichever cameras they enjoy.

It was a bit of a sacrifice for me to grab the FTN and go on a photo walkabout yesterday but I was rewarded with another satisfying experience with my chrome body and the 50mm H Auto lens.

Fantastic lens and to think I just bought it a few months ago from KEH for $80. 😮 It is the best value I have ever realized dollar for dollar.

I do wonder though what other desirable lenses for the FTN are out there. Ha! It’s a good thing I have no budget or disposable income. 😂

Btw, there are many times I carry both of these with me on the same photo adventure. There is no competition between the two… each one has its strengths and weaknesses, so I find they complement each other in the joy of using them, results, and beauty. 🙂

IMG_3997.jpeg

Last edited:
Ugh.., I just realized, I have to check my chemistry and see if I need to re-stock. My backlog of exposed film is growing and I need to plan for a marathon session to get caught up again. The good news is I can still get out and enjoy the Fall weather, and shoot interesting motifs before the Winter season gets here. My backlog will undoubtedly get much larger. 😳

That’s ok! I just love shooting the FTN!

Town Car Badge by FTN March 2022.jpeg

Signature Limited Badge by FTN March 2022.jpeg

Spring 2 by FTN March 2022.jpeg

Last edited:
Great Summilux, Dave! It is an early one, the glass is made by TTH (Taylor, Taylor and Hobson) the greatest lens makers in the world in that era. TTH worked together with Leitz for many years. This love affair started in the thirties. The fact that both Leitz and TTH worked on the lens made it very expensive, twice the price of a Summicron. Only a few lenses of this type were made in black paint, numbers 1703XXX. The earlier ones are optically different and had a different focusing ring too (the tops of the focusing ring of this older version were ribbed and the pits were smooth).

Erik.

Last edited:
No reminder needed here. How many of us actually spent the weekend shooting a Nikkormat? I did. And I hope with all the stress in the world around us, that more of us will continue shooting whichever cameras they enjoy.

It was a bit of a sacrifice for me to grab the FTN and go on a photo walkabout yesterday but I was rewarded with another satisfying experience with my chrome body and the 50mm H Auto lens.

Fantastic lens and to think I just bought it a few months ago from KEH for $80. 😮 It is the best value I have ever realized dollar for dollar.

I do wonder though what other desirable lenses for the FTN are out there. Ha! It’s a good thing I have no budget or disposable income. 😂

Btw, there are many times I carry both of these with me on the same photo adventure. There is no competition between the two… each one has its strengths and weaknesses, so I find they complement each other in the joy of using them, results, and beauty. 🙂

View attachment 4828214
The humble 35/2.8 is a nice lens indeed, and not expensive. Many variations, all good.

This is shot with my first Nikkormat in the waiting room of the railwaystation "Amstel" in 1974 in Amsterdam. This station was opened in the autumn of 1939 when the Second World War had already started. When I took the photo in 1974, nothing had changed in the waiting room since the station opened. Even the man waiting for the train had not changed since then. He had just gotten a little older.

gelatin silver print (nikkor h auto 50mm f2) nikkormat ftn

1706990843028.png

I think that Spring is already here. At least I noticed these things happening:

Warmer temperatures, daffodils almost ready to bloom, and I was pruning the hybrid roses in the garden this morning…apparently the unusual bitter cold days over the past weeks are behind us.

The change of seasons are an opportunity for new beginnings. I wonder where I will take my Nikkormat and what images I will bring back.

Perhaps a motorcycle tour in the mountains is in the near future waiting for me. I am almost finished outfitting my gear and making preparations. The FTN is loaded and patiently waiting for me.😇

med_U82868.1707078134.0.jpg

Nikkormat FTn, Nikkor 50-1,4 Ai, avifot 400 as 200, 2017

Last edited:
Back