That Nikkormat FTn.

šŸ™‚ a short commute to one of the most beautiful areas of the country.

I hope your physical challenges donā€™t hold you back from enjoying the outdoors.

Challenges are normal here, and we are still learning how to deal with wheelchairs and accessibility to those areas we have loved and visited for decades before.

Creative activities require creative solutions just to simply make them happen. Photo gear selections and outfitting are one of those challenges I enjoy. Small format, portable kits and proper outfitting to cover every imaginable contingency make a trip to the Smoky Mountains a real joy.

It starts with an FTN, or other film camera. And then I add whatever else I decide to use for anticipated photo fun.

I love anticipating a holiday in the mountains!

Wishing you well as the Fall Season approaches!šŸ™‚
I am expert in dealing with wheelchair life, lifestyle and workarounds in terms of accessibility challenges quite well. I do small format, portable kits, adaptable outfits for a photo roll, or wheelchair street photography session. I can also scale focus, and use a rangefinder camera very well to keep weight to a minimum.

The FTN. Still loving both of them, especially with the 50/2.0 H Auto lens. šŸ™‚

The 1.8 is no slouch either.šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚šŸ‘

Dave with Nikkormat FTn March 2022.jpeg

Arbor Red Filter Nikkormat FTn March 2022.jpeg

The myths of Leica street shooting are well-known. LOLā€¦ One of my favorites is taping up the red Leica logo with black tape. I donā€™t do that.

Rather than start a polarizing discussion on that (akin to the beating of a dead horse analogy), I do recognize the dangerous world in which we live. Larceny and theft are the leading crimes in the USA. Urban areas are not the only locations and parking garages, parking lots and roadways are increasing in crime statistics.šŸ˜±

So, yes, I am highly cognizant of predators lurking around watching everyoneā€¦ almost as ubiquitous as the ā€œBig Brotherā€ camera systems in use virtually everywhere.

One thing I find very comforting when I do go out to shoot, is the ā€œcheapā€ gear I have with me. The Nikkormat FTN, especially, is not an expensive or desirable target for theft, at least as far as I know at the moment. For that reason alone, an FTN or similarly inexpensive film camera is less stressful than taking a high-end camera, especially a digital camera with me while out and about. If I drop it, lose it, or become a theft victim, my loss is minimal. It is compact and easily worn and used around the neck, or cross-body, so as to make it a light compact option that still allows me to enjoy photography on foot.

There are many safety techniques we all can use to lessen the chance of being a crime-victim, but at the end of a bad day, I am sure the loss of one of my inexpensive, obsolete cameras would be less traumatic than losing one that is far more expensive.

And I happen to really enjoy using the Nikkormats! And my FM/FE cameras. And the F80 plastic fantastic. Andā€¦ not the iPhone, which is the worst ergonomic example of a camera possible IMO (although it has its uses).šŸ™‚

I still see those Nikkormats staring at me from my desktop, like a puppy yearning to go outside for a walk and needing the attention.

In fact, that is precisely what I am going to do right now. A walk in the neighborhood before it gets too darned hot!šŸ˜ƒ

Edit: it was a nice walk. šŸ‘Since I only have a wrist strap on the chrome FTN, I put it in my old waist pack which I always carry like a sling bag. Lightweight, innocuous, and perfect size. I even shot a few frames at the park and it was, as always, a smooth, effortless experience that I enjoyed very much while basking in the morning sunlight and staring in wonder at the morning dew. Life is best enjoyed outdoors in the mornings.šŸ™‚

Last edited:
Nikkormats, all models, are such a bargain that I've had to force myself not to add to my FT2 and EL.

Better to use what I already have than to impulse-buy in a fever-crazed moment. That's the thought that saves me.

Dear Board,

I have an honest question after viewing so many photos on the thread.

I completely understand the attraction to the camera. I have a black FTN that works and chrome FT2 that works too but is uglier than a **** covered fence. Honestly, would the pictures been different had they been shot on another camera that can utilize the old Nikkor lenses?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Iā€™m
Dear Board,

I have an honest question after viewing so many photos on the thread.

I completely understand the attraction to the camera. I have a black FTN that works and chrome FT2 that works too but is uglier than a **** covered fence. Honestly, would the pictures been different had they been shot on another camera that can utilize the old Nikkor lenses?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

It depends. I tend to shoot more and get better results with a camera I like, for whatever attributes I personally prefer.

Technically, a camera is just a light box. What works for me is only what works for me. Everyone is different.šŸ™‚

Tools are important for me to enjoy work or pleasure. I would never try restoring another vintage car with tools I donā€™t like. But then there are plenty of people with much different preferences.

Iā€™m sure you will enjoy the images from either camera regardless of the cosmetics. šŸ˜ƒ

Oh, btw, there is a lot of agreement about character, in images, in gear, etc. I like the fact that I have two FTNs in ā€œgoodā€ shape, not mint, not excellent, but in ok condition. I think they both have a certain patina. How much character you would like to have on your own cameras is a personal decision. Just remember to have the camera with you and shoot it if you enjoy it. šŸ˜ƒ

Last edited:
Iā€™m

It depends. I tend to shoot more and get better results with a camera I like, for whatever attributes I personally prefer.

Technically, a camera is just a light box. What works for me is only what works for me. Everyone is different.šŸ™‚

Tools are important for me to enjoy work or pleasure. I would never try restoring another vintage car with tools I donā€™t like. But then there are plenty of people with much different preferences.

Iā€™m sure you will enjoy the images from either camera regardless of the cosmetics. šŸ˜ƒ

Oh, btw, there is a lot of agreement about character, in images, in gear, etc. I like the fact that I have two FTNs in ā€œgoodā€ shape, not mint, not excellent, but in ok condition. I think they both have a certain patina. How much character you would like to have on your own cameras is a personal decision. Just remember to have the camera with you and shoot it if you enjoy it. šŸ˜ƒ
Dear Dave,

Last weekend I rolled through some Washi-S I bought from sepiaverb on the message board and developed it in an ARS Lab-Box I bought from stevierose on the message board.

There were no prize winning pictures on the roll, but the fact that I developed the film at home brought back memories from long ago. I had a Canon F-1, a Vivitar 135 f2.8 and Tri-X when I was in college 45 years ago and last developed film.

It all sort of came back last weekend and man oh man am I grateful for that.

I shoot a lot of digital pictures. I enjoy the convenience, and manage to get some good ones every now and then.

But actually, having to at least get something to start with on my own using B&W film was a game changer for me.

We will see what develops, pardon the pun.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Tim, you and I are experiencing similar things in life regarding photography!šŸ˜Ž

I am delighted to see you enjoying yourself with shooting and developing film. That is really great!šŸ™‚

For me, I never fully committed to developing my own film but now I am immersed in a big way. Long story, one that involves my own enlightenment that creating my images on film, developing, scanning and processing, and final editing is a true craft in that it requires far more of me than tens of thousands of digital images ever did. I still shoot digital medium format daily but my passion is film photography.

Not only have I embraced film photography as a craft, but it is also crucial for me to continue to learn more on a daily basis. Why one may ask? The answer is because it is both a part me, a passion, and it is also the most effective method of coping with my stressful life of a 24/7/365 commitment for the past 14 years.

Iā€™m sure happy you are enjoying yourself.šŸ™‚

So, last night was a pivotal point for me. The FTN has languished the last few months, not because I didnā€™t want to use it, I had all the best intentions to shoot it a lot.

I decided last night to pick up the chrome FTN and when I did, the remarkable feel and simplicity of it immediately appealed to me as if it was the most important camera in the world. Perhaps I should have never used any other camera. Perhaps I can use it a lot more in the future. All I know is, I have it in my hand now and I feel like an old friend has re-entered my life.šŸ™‚

I need to finish the roll of TMax 100. The rainy weather may give me inspiration today, but I think I will look for interesting light instead. No rush, at the moment.

I got one of these for my 17 year old, a chrome FTn with the 50mm f2. Theyā€™ve really taken to it. Itā€™s hard to imagine a better camera to break your teeth on, not sure why the Pentax K1000 seems to get that role. These Nikkormats are a much better value.
And that lovely lens, the Nikkor H Auto f=50mm f2!

gelatin silver print (nikkor h auto f=50mm f2) nikkormat ftn chrome

Amsterdam, 1974

Erik.

1697810447260.png

Right? I gave it up and kept the 50mm f1.4 because itā€™s AIā€™d and I can use it on my FE. They also got a 28mm 3.5 and Series E 70-150mm. The 15 year old got a N2020 with the 50mm 1.8 AF and decent Kiron zoom. Iā€™ve just been feeding them rolls of Kentmere off my bulk roll and processing at home.

Nikkormats, all models, are such a bargain that I've had to force myself not to add to my FT2 and EL.

Better to use what I already have than to impulse-buy in a fever-crazed moment. That's the thought that saves me.
That will not last.

Back