That Nikkormat FTn.

...It’s hard to imagine a better camera to break your teeth on, not sure why the Pentax K1000 seems to get that role. These Nikkormats are a much better value.
Right, the Nikkormats offer:
- center weighted metering
- meter on/off switch
- meter reading also visible on top plate
- depth of field preview
- self-timer
- mirror lock-up
- access to all the F-mount lenses

I was told the reason instructors of photography classes chose the K1000 was that the Pentax lenses were less expensive than Nikon.

The K1000 thing was more valid in the 90s when I was a student, but they’re still commonly referenced as the most appropriate SLR camera to learn on.

Nikkormats, all models, are such a bargain that I've had to force myself not to add to my FT2 and EL.

Better to use what I already have than to impulse-buy in a fever-crazed moment. That's the thought that saves me.
I don't think there are EL's that work nowadays, but I am sure that most -if not all- of the the FTn's and FTs's are still going strong.

gelatin silver print (nikkor h auto 50mm f2) nikkormat ftn black

Amsterdam, 2017

Erik.

1697844326579.png

Last edited:
Mine works great! 😃

In fact, I just got back from a walk, and I’m sitting here watching a football game on TV with my chrome FTN in hand, wiping it down and just enjoying holding it.

I checked the meter this morning and it is working perfectly.👍

I got one of these for my 17 year old, a chrome FTn with the 50mm f2. They’ve really taken to it. It’s hard to imagine a better camera to break your teeth on, not sure why the Pentax K1000 seems to get that role. These Nikkormats are a much better value.
Agreed. The best first SLR there is. And also built like a M1A1 Tank. The K1000 costs more used today, and is also on the delicate side by comparison. Nikomat and Nikkormat FTn cameras, the poor man's F. Every bit as fine! I love my Nikomat FTn. And I may run a roll of Ferrania P30 in my copy with 50mm/f1.4 Nikkor lens.

I don't think there are EL's that work nowadays, but I am sure that most -if not all- of the the FTn's and FTs's are still going strong.

gelatin silver print (nikkor h auto 50mm f2) nikkormat ftn black

Amsterdam, 2017

Erik.

View attachment 4828140
I have three, plus an EL2 -- all working perfectly. Love them. As for the FTn's, how many of those don't have jumpy meters?

Regarding the meter at least, the EL should actually be a bit more durable. According to the chart at the bottom of this page,

the ring resistor on the FT3, EL, EL2, and ELW is more durable than on prior Nikkormat models. I don't know where that information came from, though.

Anyway, my EL still works fine.

So why not get an EL2? For the same reason I think an FT2 is better than an FT3 and why I think the F2, F2S, F2SB is better than the F2A or F2AS: with the earlier camera you can meter both AI and pre-AI lenses wide open; with the later camera, pre-AI has to be metered by stopping down.

Also, with the FT2 and EL, you can use modern batteries, that gives them an advantage over the FT and FTn.

Last edited:
Right, the Nikkormats offer:
- center weighted metering
- meter on/off switch
- meter reading also visible on top plate
- depth of field preview
- self-timer
- mirror lock-up
- access to all the F-mount lenses

I was told the reason instructors of photography classes chose the K1000 was that the Pentax lenses were less expensive than Nikon.
Dear Paul,

I have never once understood the fascination with the K1000. When it came to learning how to use a camera one would think the SP1000, or SP500 would have sufficed on the Asahi/Honeywell/Pentax side? The K1000 was a money grab by Pentax that has been successful way beyond their imagination. A K1000 in questionable condition often brings more money than a Pentax ME Super in known working condition. That is ridiculous.

M42 lenses are cheap as chips, regardless of the brand. There are exceptions of course, but I've managed to assemble a nice Takumar M42 lens kit from 28mm to 300mm, minus 85mm and 105mm, and didn't spend more than $ 100.00 on any lens. All of them are usable on my full aperture metering Pentax SLR's because they possess the magical little square nub on the lens mount.

By the same token I've assembled a Nikon kit from 24mm, to 300mm with the same focal length exceptions as my Pentax kit. The Nikon lenses, when purchased with a Nikkormat are far better deals. In the last month I've bought a two Nikkormats in cases, one with a 24mm f2.8 AI-s lens and one with a 28mm f3.5 Nikkor S lens. The cameras work, or at least appear to work, the film hasn't been developed yet. I spent about $ 125.00 on everything.

My point in all this is that there are probably, and I'm being conservative here, 5 times the amount of Nikon manual focus lenses in working condition on the planet than there are Pentax lenses, in any condition.

I like all my cameras, but I like my full aperture metering Pentaxes and my Nikons that just work best of all!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

If The K1000 was "a money grab", boy was Pentax dumb!
During its heyday the body sold for about $100 brand new.
That's one of the reasons it became the standard tool for Photo 101 class participants.

The people selling K1000 cameras for $200+ today are not affiliated with Pentax Corporation.

Today a very good reason to own/use a Pentax K1000 (or better yet a KM or KX) is repairman Eric Hendrickson.

Chris

P.S. Before you flame me for defending Pentax be aware I also own/use various Nikon and Nikkormat cameras.

Last edited:
And as I awake this morning, it is so nice to see that I am not the only one with a Nikkormat FTN on my mind.😃

Yesterday, after my morning coffee, I went through my outfitted camera bags, removed everything from each one, cleaned them and restocked, then organized and made sure I remembered where I left each camera (frame counter-wise).👍

The FTN has six remaining frames, soooo, I will decide later where I want to go and finish that roll of TMax100. Decisions like that are such a joy.

Erik, thank you as always for your sharing your images. I find your inspiration critical to my healing.

Back