The 4x4 Baby Rollei Club

A couple more scanned:

The Front Yard
rollei_baby_gray_4_by_dudewithad700-d39l4x2.jpg

The Kitchen Sink.... literally
the_kitchen_sink_by_dudewithad700-d39l4vv.jpg

Very fine grain. :)

But they look two stop underexposed. I have looked at other examples taken with Rollei 80s, and it seems that 25 ASA works better with this film in normal developers. You say that you have underexposed a lot lately. Do you know why?

No, I don't know why really. Mostly I'm using the Sunny-16 without the meter, and I'm sure that has at least 75% to do with it. Another major factor is that I'm shooting in snow, and this is a first for me. I'm starting out my metering from F/22 instead of F/16 for a snow-less picture. That explains one stop right there.

These last 3 shots came out pretty straight forward like they should have. And that guitar shot at the first, that came out the way I knew it would, I wanted that one dark. Maybe I'm not doing too bad......

Jan, I too like the faucet picture a lot.

Underexposed, overexposed - who care's? As long the picture depicts the vision of the photographer, not necessarily documents the exact conditions as they were, then the picture is correctly exposed.

Underexposed, overexposed - who care's? As long the picture depicts the vision of the photographer, not necessarily documents the exact conditions as they were, then the picture is correctly exposed.

Excellent point, though it's easy to forget when one is striving for the "perfect picture". I looked at a couple of "perfect photos" on the internet a couple of days ago. Extremely well composed, depth of field from the foreground to infinity, and a red filter made the sky very dark and the clouds white. They were very good, but boring. Often, a small "mistake" like camera shake or non-harmonious composition can make the result more interesting.

I couldn't agree more. I still sin in this respect myself, but I too feel emotionally unengaged by this new wave of super-realistic images that for that very reason seem unreal. Too clean, too polished and lifeless as a result. I try, though probably without too much luck, to avoid falling into this trap myself. As you say, a slight imperfection, approach the subject matter from a new angle, break a composition rule or two, focus on the not so evident points of interest, over or underexpose to create an effect, etc, all can add interest, if done well. Thats why I like a larger percentage of the work presented here than on photo sharing communities (though I do post there too), RFF'ers are a breed apart.

Thanks guys.

I do agree, too much perfection is overkill.

I have two more rolls for the 4x4 and I'm saving those for a couple weeks when I have a model shoot to do. We'll see what kind of imperfections I can get in those shots ;-)

Pirate - I like the snow pictures, reminds me of my wife's family farm in Ohio. BTW, I found the instruction book for the black baby Rollei 4x4. I thought I had some 4x4 slide mounts somewhere - they will probably surface some year when I get to the bottom of stuff in a closet!

I loaded my "Sports" Rolleiflex 4x4 with Efke R100 last friday and have taken a couple of shots that I hope will turn out great. A large abandoned mine headframe and ore sorting works. They have stood there for decades but the mining company will tear them down this spring. It will take a while before I have finished the roll and made prints.

Back